MLS Nashville unveils logo

henburg

Nashville SC's official crest has been unveiled- 

nash-0.png?qkwXXM.p9Uny8uDZa0REnd0MX8REP

I'll admit, my first reaction to the leaks was relief simply because the name wasn't changed to something terrible. Since then, I've grown disappointed with the crest. It's bizarre to me that none of these official releases justify any of the new design changes minus "the lines mimic sound waves". Why the choice of the octagon? It all feels very arbitrary. 

spacer.png

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much that I don’t like about the Nashville crest:

• The thin outer strokes
  • The abstract N
  • The thinning sound waves
  • So much dead space at the bottom- the font is meh, but is amplified by all that dead space
  • The crest shape is odd, but could have been saved with better overall execution- that didn’t happen here
  • The pale yellow

The worst part is how strong the previous logo is. I think it could have done with some simplification (build around the circle N and guitar strings) but that’s what should have been used. This new design looks like something a geometry student whipped up in class in 30 minutes.

The only two things I like about the Nashville branding is that they kept the name and they kept gold/yellow/mustard or whatever you want to call it. The USL branding is 1000 times better than what was released today.

Signature intentionally left blank

10 hours ago, Dilbert said:

The only two things I like about the Nashville branding is that they kept the name and they kept gold/yellow/mustard or whatever you want to call it. The USL branding is 1000 times better than what was released today.

I feel all USL branding is better and is getting better. Could this be because USL teams are:

a) Not tied to what Adidas can and can not do

b) Have to deal with SUM Marketing, and their creative staff trying to change things to be their own.  

With (b) its like SUM/MLS is like WWE, they have to make changes for the sake of changes just so they can say they created (and own) the identity. You can see some exceptions Minn United and Timbers, but they are still tweaks to a logo that did not need to have tweaks.  

What's particularly disappointing is that this is another example in which the organization's USL logo didn't really need to change. I also think Cincy made a mistake with its MLS logo. Kudos to Minnesota for being the only one so far to withstand the pressure of making an MLS update. 

2460_nashville_sc_-primary-2018.png

1 minute ago, kmccarthy27 said:

But even the Minn logo they did a change for the sake of change with changing the text on the crest. 

Sure, but if that's all they change, then I consider it a victory. They kept the structure — and especially the spirit — of the original logo. The whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" cliche is pretty appropriate here. If a club wants to make a big splash with their MLS debut, make it with the kit or the apparel or the stadium. But if the brand works, don't mess with it. 

13 hours ago, henburg said:

Nashville SC's official crest has been unveiled- 

I'll admit, my first reaction to the leaks was relief simply because the name wasn't changed to something terrible. Since then, I've grown disappointed with the crest. It's bizarre to me that none of these official releases justify any of the new design changes minus "the lines mimic sound waves". Why the choice of the octagon? It all feels very arbitrary. 

Looks like they chose an octagon because that's the shape the sound wave-N makes.  

Here's what it looks like when you removed Nashville SC and squish the octagon back to size

nsc.png

90758391980.gif

1 minute ago, AstroBull21 said:

So is that blue or purple?  The logo images look purpleish but the one with the redhead in the sparkly dress looks more blue.

It supposed to be Blue and Gold which are their USL colors, but it looks like more like MLS picked Neon Gold and Purple-ish Navy

nash-0.png?qkwXXM.p9Uny8uDZa0REnd0MX8REP

The colors are fine, the shape is whatever. I don't immediately see a sound wave, or much of a reason to break the N in that way. The SC seems like an afterthought. I think my biggest gripe is that there's so much negative space here. The use of space is god awful with the vast emptiness under the text(which isn't evenly spaced out vertically). Such a downgrade.

Archived