An interesting thing to see....

BombSkwad

I made a pilgrimmage to my Mecca, the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, OH this past week. While I was there, a need struck me to show this to you guys, more as an interesting piece than any actual research value. It was the original helmet prototype for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I don't think it really shows in the photo, but the helmet was hand painted, including the stripes. I'm also including a pic of the description.

The pics are LARGE (1024x768), so I'm only linking them.....

Helmet Prototype

Description

if they took away the stripes, that would be an awesome helmet, but thats because i like big logos on stripeless helmets haha, like texas a&m. i think they should go back to buccaneer bruce, he would even look great in their current colors. booyeah!

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

they might want to update that description. i think the seahawks are in the nfc again...

Yea, I'm suprised no one's on the ball (pun intended) here.

same here

"We have nothing to fear except fear itself."

Is it me or does this not make since? Tampa started in the AFC then moved to the NFC, and Seattle started in the NFC then moved to the AFC (only to move back again many years later). Why the switch, why didn't they just keep Tampa in the AFC and Seattle in the NFC?

It must have been for geographical and/or divisional reasons--I thought the NFL had a rule about franchise proximity within the same conference--or was that the aftermath of that 2x4 I didn't see coming?

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Is it me or does this not make since? Tampa started in the AFC then moved to the NFC, and Seattle started in the NFC then moved to the AFC (only to move back again many years later). Why the switch, why didn't they just keep Tampa in the AFC and Seattle in the NFC?

The Bucs were originally placed in the AFC West, along with Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego and Denver. Seattle meanwhile was in the NFC West, along with the L.A. Rams, San Francisco, Atlanta and New Orleans.

The NFL realized even before the teams played their first games that this was a mistake, and decided to switch the teams, with the Bucs moving to the NFC West and Seattle moving to the AFC West - which, considering that two other southern cities (Atlanta and New Orleans) were there, would've made sense.

Except that, when they caught wind of this, the NFC Central teams had a fit because they wanted at least one "warm weather" city in its ranks. That plus the Bucs 0-14 season in 1976 was seen as an opportunity for Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota and Green Bay each to pick up a pair of easy wins every year. In the end, Pete Rozelle relented, and the Bucs went to the NFC Central.

nav-logo.png

Nice pictures. Bucco Bruce brings back so many memories for Bucs fans, but I liked how they kept a little bit of orange in their new scheme. I still can't believe that they won Super Bowl XXXVII.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

It was for scheduling purposes, so that each of the expansion teams would play every other NFL team during their first two years. (This was planned before they ever started the 1976 season.)

At the time, there were 28 teams (counting the Bucs and Seahawks). In 1976, Tampa Bay played every other AFC team once, while Seattle played every NFC team. They played each other for their 14th game.

In 1977, they switched conferences, and again played every team in the conference once, plus each other. It wasn't until 1978 that the Bucs and Seahawks got into the regular divisional schedule rotation.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Archived