Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
P.I.L.L.

(INDEPENDENT) DC baseball LOGOS...

188 posts in this topic

not to hi-jack but I really like your orioles logo, great job on that

thanks... that one's "in the process".

am i the only one that thinks this isn't very good.

i'm sorry, but the eagle head on the W just smacks of obviousness to me.  the multi colored W to the N looks, i don't know....not very good.

i'd suggest using a different typeface for the W, something less Times New Roman-ish.

i'd suggest not using a gradient whatsoever.

i'd suggest stylizing the W a bit more.

and i'd be very VERY surprised if these are getting any actual consideration, since a logoset has already been released.

if that's too harsh, i'm sorry.

but, as a designer, i get harsh feedback all the time.

i just had to finally put my two cents in on this one.

- I don't think it's perfect... but I think it bears pursuing.

- I kinda like it, but I see what you mean about the eagle.

- I like the serifs, they look classy, but yes, Times might be a wee bit too common.

- Agreed! When gradients=very yes, logo=over.

- Care to expand?

- As would I. With all of the merchandise sales and brand development that has already happened, I'd be surprised if a new ownership group completely changed brand direction. Of course, the Blue Jays did, but that's a whole different story... <_<:) (No, I will never let it die.)

- I think you've raised some excellent points Joel. Constructive alternative viewpoints like yours are how average designs get good and how good designs become great.

As for your other designs, prologo...

Mets Memorial Logo

Might be kinda hard to tell what it is without the context that you feature it in... maybe develop a more traditional memorial around the skyline/twin-towers/M idea. Perhaps try enveloping the skyline in a circle, the way the Mets do in their primary, with the mandatory explanatory text-on-a-ribbon at the bottom of the circle.

Seattle Mariners

I see the SM, and I see the baseball, but I don't really get it. It doesn't evoke feelings of the ocean or Seattle... it reminds me of a moon. Which would be a cool logo for the Seattle Insomniacs, but doesn't really say Mariners to me.

New York Islanders

First reaction? "It got 'black'ed." I'd agree the Isles need an update, but the heaviness of the black combines with the fish, state outline, stick, NY, and circle to yield a rather busy logo. My advice? Eliminate two of the preceding elements and stick within the blue and orange (with maybe some subtle black accents).

Baltimore Orioles

Again, a few too many messages that get jumbled. The oriole head, the baseball, the motion lines, and the O. An interesting concept to be sure! Perhaps simplifying the beak area a little and losing the 'stitches' on the seam would help? Downsizing the number of colours you've used would work a little towards a simpler look as well.

The Washington ____ (Capitals?)

It looks like a clipart logo. A few too many colours and it lacks consistency in outlining (strength or colour). It works as a jersey crest, although I'm thinking you might consider looking around these parts for an improved template. :)

The Virginia Bats

The levels of detail vary significantly throughout this individual work... in this case, you've got the nicely highlighted V and crossed bats, and then there's the very finely detailed bat-mask, claws, and ball. Perhaps simplifying or enlarging the very detailed elements would help?

If I sound a little harsh, it's because it's obvious you have graphic/logo design skills, and there's obvious promise in these logos. However I believe a few changes could put them over the top.

You've also had some experience marketing your logos to the teams. Got any advice for people like us on that subject?

thanks... that one's nearly a done deal.

the orioles are changing their logo?

It's an alternate... in the works, as far as licensing. Could be primary at some point.

I implemented the edit, and updated the site w/ a couple more cap colors...

Washingtonlogo.com

I just checked it out and think its fantastic (and not just because you worked with my suggestion!). It is just amazing what a minor edit can do. Overall, I just like the design because it is simple. I can see D.C. area kids scratching the logo in their desktops like I used to with the old 80's White Sox logo (sorry, Sister!). Anyway, it would just be nice to see a return to bright primary colors and basic shapes.

LT

As for your other designs, prologo...

Mets Memorial Logo

Might be kinda hard to tell what it is without the context that you feature it in... maybe develop a more traditional memorial around the skyline/twin-towers/M idea. Perhaps try enveloping the skyline in a circle, the way the Mets do in their primary, with the mandatory explanatory text-on-a-ribbon at the bottom of the circle.

Seattle Mariners

I see the SM, and I see the baseball, but I don't really get it. It doesn't evoke feelings of the ocean or Seattle... it reminds me of a moon. Which would be a cool logo for the Seattle Insomniacs, but doesn't really say Mariners to me.

New York Islanders

First reaction? "It got 'black'ed." I'd agree the Isles need an update, but the heaviness of the black combines with the fish, state outline, stick, NY, and circle to yield a rather busy logo. My advice? Eliminate two of the preceding elements and stick within the blue and orange (with maybe some subtle black accents).

Baltimore Orioles

Again, a few too many messages that get jumbled. The oriole head, the baseball, the motion lines, and the O. An interesting concept to be sure! Perhaps simplifying the beak area a little and losing the 'stitches' on the seam would help? Downsizing the number of colours you've used would work a little towards a simpler look as well.

The Washington ____ (Capitals?)

It looks like a clipart logo. A few too many colours and it lacks consistency in outlining (strength or colour). It works as a jersey crest, although I'm thinking you might consider looking around these parts for an improved template. :)

The Virginia Bats

The levels of detail vary significantly throughout this individual work... in this case, you've got the nicely highlighted V and crossed bats, and then there's the very finely detailed bat-mask, claws, and ball. Perhaps simplifying or enlarging the very detailed elements would help?

If I sound a little harsh, it's because it's obvious you have graphic/logo design skills, and there's obvious promise in these logos. However I believe a few changes could put them over the top.

You've also had some experience marketing your logos to the teams. Got any advice for people like us on that subject?

were can i view these logos?

Constructive alternative viewpoints like yours are how average designs get good and how good designs become great.

Syphi,

Thanks for the critique... you could be right about some of your suggestions, so as I've said w/ my DC logos, feel free to make the alterations you think would improve my other logos, but please email your versions to me, as opposed to posting them on here, at least for now.

as for selling logos to teams... you could get an art agent who will get in touch w/ the right people if he believes in your work, or contact the league's official manufacturers, such as New Era (MLB / NHL).

~C

It's an alternate... in the works, as far as licensing. Could be primary at some point.

This is news to me... the only new alternate I know coming from Baltimore is the 'O' on the alt cap

it's a long process... MLB has a 3 year mandate to change or add logos, but it's in the works... like DC baseball! so, I should keep quiet about it for now...

anytime...

although those logos are "done", I'm still open to anyone improving them... Any artists that feel they can do so, Feel free to post your edits. If and when the logo becomes official, your ideas (if implemented) will be rewarded.

~C

it's a long process... MLB has a 3 year mandate to change or add logos, so it's in the works... like DC baseball! so, I should keep quiet about it for now...

Okay, Christos, this is too much. If your logo is currently being considered by the Orioles, who at the team have you spoken with about making it the official emblem?

y? so you can bother them , possibly damaging my credibility w/ your negative spin... no thanks~ not worth the chance.

How utterly convenient.

You can traipse from forum to forum spamming left and right, and claim that you're selling your designs to major league teams from Seattle to Baltimore - yet, when someone calls on you for proof of that, you suddenly go mum.

There's a real simple way you can put up here...tell me the name of the person who you're working with at the Orioles. If you are, in fact, working with someone at the team, I can easily confirm that.

Otherwise, pipe down.

Dear stranger,

refer to previous post... I do not disclose my business associates names, especially to people like yourself... ya want proof? be patient my friend... it's FORTHCOMING. I'll even send you a complimentary official cap if you give me your home address~ or is that an invasion of your privacy?

Truthfully, I should have known better than to say anything about this on a public forum, and will refrain from doing so til "the ink is dry", In the meantime, Think whatever you want about me, my friend.

Merry Christmakwanzzaka !

~Christos.

anytime...

although those logos are "done", I'm still open to anyone improving them... Any artists that feel they can do so, Feel free to post your edits. If and when the logo becomes official, your ideas (if implemented) will be rewarded.

~C

Maybe you ought to start "compensating" by giving credit to ltravisjr on your "design" page since his modification is being used by you.

good suggestion... it will be done. and fyi: I've already requested his contact info, so that if and WHEN ;~)

~C