N.Y. Rangers ... 2010

P.I.L.L.

I'm guessing that no matter what I say is wrong with it, you'll tell me why it's not wrong at all.

I'll simply say that I don't like it for a multitude of reasons, and leave it at that.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Ok, here's my critique...

The cityscape on the bottom looks out of place, and especially not feeling the gradient, plus the arm striping looks like it abruptly stops. The logo has promise. It would look better if you got rid of the diamond around it, and if you changed the "Y" s that the top half is longer, as it can be mistaked for a "T" from a distance.

VmWIn6B.png

based on your critique, I've widened the space at the top of the Y / sticks... and yeah, the uni is a bit of a stretch w/ the city... but somehow I think I can get it to work... just w/o gradients= bad... I know... but by 2010, they should have gradient capable sewing machines right! ? B)

To be honest they have them now but first, adding that many colors to the thread list gets very expensive (I worked for a while with an embroidery company that made some of these patches). So there's the money issue. However on top of that it looks terrible. Use traditional striping and keep the logo and you might have something there. Add the skyline and gradiant and you'll have uniforms that would cost the general public upwards of $250-300 a piece for replicas and $500+ for authentics. No one is going to pay that kind of money. Especially the teams.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Sublimation makes gradients very possible today. However, I doubt the world will ever see technology that makes a blue to red to gray gradient tasteful or attractive.

I'm not feeling the logo, either. It's cluttered and isn't better than anything that's currently in their identity package, beit their existing classic logo or the new set that they introduced on the alternate uniform almost ten years ago.

fair enough... to each their own. The way I see it, NY City is a chaotic, and angular place... to make sense of it all, w/o going way overboard was the challenge here. I think the logo accomplishes that + the traditional R A N G E R S diagonal... I believe it's at least a solid merchandising piece.

Sublimation makes gradients very possible today. However, I doubt the world will ever see technology that makes a blue to red to gray gradient tasteful or attractive.

I'm not feeling the logo, either. It's cluttered and isn't better than anything that's currently in their identity package, beit their existing classic logo or the new set that they introduced on the alternate uniform almost ten years ago.

you, sir, are my hero.

very well stated on all parts, keeeefy.

From the Pat way back machine!

My first concept I posted here! I did the same city thing, but with the country "skyline" of southern Illinois as well. This might be a way you can pull it off:

illinoisjersey.gif

*Note, this sucks now that I look back on it. And yes, it was done as a humor thing for I think it was a state hockey jersey project. The one were ICS did all the beautiful jerseys for each state.

Another note on the skyline... it probably looks better with the jersey laid out flat than it would with someone actually wearing it. Something to think about. Also, The "Y" as it is designed, combined with the bottom of the diamond, looks like an arrow pointing downward... bad symbolism!

Overall, I'm not wild about it. The R-A-N-G-E-R-S jersey is a time-honored classic, and the alternate with Lady Liberty is simpler and cleaner than yours. I think your design sensibility would work better with newer, avant-garde franchises.

the logo itself could be simplified further... besides no skyline... I could remove " R A N G E R S" and have lighter or no inlines on the N... but the trade off is that it's less interesting. As far as the "pointing down" thing, I never saw that til you mentioned it... and it kinda bugs me, enough that I'll consider lessening or flattening the angle there

~C

i'd keep the gradient but just have it two colors. the logo, i can see where you're going-there's progress there yet a link to the past remains with the diagonal RANGERS over the N.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Like most here, I don't like the skyline & gradient. Perhaps it could work as a navy sillohuette.

As for the main logo, I don't like the diamond detailing, this isn't some futuristic baseball piece, and the top of the flares too high for my tastes it still looks like an awkward 'T'

Archived