Geometrical Logos

the_cynic

One of my biggest pet peeves is creating vector or Illustrator versions of logos by tracing them and then coming to find out that the designer or company themselves did a really crappy job at creating perfect circles, triangles, and other geometrical shapes. Do designers usually not care if the whole logo flows or if it's geometrical imperfect? Call me dumb but I'm a perfectionist and stuff like that would just get to me. Creating the right scale, right design, and having it all flow is a lot better to me then just eye balling everything. What are your thoughts?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

It depends on the logo. Some work due to their symmetry and exacting states, others work because of their imperfectness (yeah, I probably just made up a word).

If you're looking at a logo that deals with some high-tech industry, or something modern in general, I suppose you would expect it to have perfect circles and equal sides on its polygons.

But if you're looking at a logo that deals with something warmer or closer to home, an "imperfect" logo might give it a human quality that doesn't come from antiseptic symmetry.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I present to you one of the rare logos i've designed....

enmap.com

Are you saying you usually don't design geometrical logos?

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Are you confusing geometrical with symmetrical? Chris' enmap logo is certainly geometrical...a sphere on top of a perfect grid. To me, geometrical would either contain specific geometric shapes, or have its elements mathematically evenly positioned. Geometric designs may or may not be symmetrical.

Unless I just misunderstood your question, in that case I apologize.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I present to you one of the rare logos i've designed....

enmap.com

Are you saying you usually don't design geometrical logos?

No, I don't usually design logos period

Okay, I just thought you may have but just didn't share your work around here that much.

Retired Number's To Come

• 3 months later...

I've seen it mentioned in some graphic designers' explanations of their design process that they actually do tweak geometric elements sometimes to make them imperfect - something about the theory that imperfections can be subconsciously seen by the human eye and make them seem more "human" and therefore accepted at a more emotional level than cold precision. Of course an alternate explanation could be sloppiness.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the (mostly) dead, but I'm extremely anal-retentive when it comes to stuff I design -- I've gotten better recently, though; I think I'm learning to let go. ;)

And I'm sure this is coincidental, but I think it's time to pay my power bill:

txu_logo.gif

Archived