NFL TrueType Fonts Now Available!

eriqjaffe

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried loading the fonts on my Mac and they didn't activate in Suitcase. Drat. Are these for PC only? I'll be so bummed!

Well, they're TrueType, but I don't have a Mac to try them out on. IIRC, OSX can use TrueType fonts, but if you're still running OS9, you'll need to get a converter. Back when I had a Mac, I used this, which worked most of the time.

Yes, for a Mac you need to download the TT Converter.

Just drag the original font file to the TT Converter icon and it will give you a dialog box. Type the name of the font in the box that reads "save the converted font in file:"

Then,"select all" and "copy" that title of the font. Then, this is IMPORTANT, click the button below the box where you just typed the font name labelled "Customise FOND..."

That will take you to a new dialog box with two blank boxes where you need to enter the font name again. By copying it the first time, you can just paste it in these two boxes without having to retype them two additional times.

If you don't do this part, your font menu will just show a blank space and you won't have any idea what font you will get.

One small thing, the top box of these two "font name" has a "space" character sitting there that you can't see. Get rid of that when you paste the font name into that box, otherwise there will be a space character before your font name and that will mess up your fonts being listed in proper alphabetical order later on, as the blank space will cause them to rise to the top of the list, even if the font name starts with a "Z".

This may sound like a lot, but it's basically 1) drag the font icon, 2) type the name of the font, 3) click a button and 4) paste it twice more and your set.

It's easy once you do it.

Any questions? drop me a Private message and I'll be glad to help.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Thanks, Spyboy. I HATE working with font creation. At work I used to use Fontographer, but then I get Fontbook, (or something like that), and all those little FOND name, etc., boxes drive me nuts. They mean nada to me and if all the details are not exact, the thing won't work.

I'll be trying your steps over the weekend. I'll let you know if I hit any snags.

Yes, for a Mac you need to download the TT Converter.

Just drag the original font file to the TT Converter icon and it will give you a dialog box. Type the name of the font in the box that reads "save the converted font in file:"

Then,"select all" and "copy" that title of the font. Then, this is IMPORTANT, click the button below the box where you just typed the font name labelled "Customise FOND..."

That will take you to a new dialog box with two blank boxes where you need to enter the font name again. By copying it the first time, you can just paste it in these two boxes without having to retype them two additional times.

If you don't do this part, your font menu will just show a blank space and you won't have any idea what font you will get.

One small thing, the top box of these two "font name" has a "space" character sitting there that you can't see. Get rid of that when you paste the font name into that box, otherwise there will be a space character before your font name and that will mess up your fonts being listed in proper alphabetical order later on, as the blank space will cause them to rise to the top of the list, even if the font name starts with a "Z".

This may sound like a lot, but it's basically 1) drag the font icon, 2) type the name of the font, 3) click a button and 4) paste it twice more and your set.

It's easy once you do it.

Any questions? drop me a Private message and I'll be glad to help.

JeffB

This step is not necessary with OS X.

First off, thanks for this resource.

As a new member I don't even feel worthy of these (I downloaded them anyway) ^_^ .

Now a few questions:

1) As sj32 mentioned. There is as problem with te Varisty block 8's. Will there be a revision to fix these?

I would do this but do not have a font editing program.

2) What style do the Vikings use?

All other teams are mentioned but the Vikes in the readme file. I'm thinking Varsity Block B.

3) Does anyone have team specific pointers for outlines or for outlining in general...

(i.e. for the Eagles I use an offset of 3 and round joins, then move the offset path down one and over one for the drop shadow look)

Anyways,

thanks again.

mvps.jpg

On the "Cowboys Throwback", the number "2" on the sleeve/shoulder should be sans serif.

roger.jpg

On the same font, the 6's and 9's should have an extra bend. I'm not sure how to describe this technically, but if you start at the top of the 6, there should be a bend at the end where the end of the curve meets the straight left end. Also, I believe the "5" has a slant at the middle joint - similar to the 5's on the Varsity Block D font. The insides of the numbers should be slanted, not square.

All of these are for the shoulder/sleeve font (shift + #), the standard font is excellent.

On the "Cowboys Throwback", the number "2" on the sleeve/shoulder should be sans serif.

roger.jpg

On the same font, the 6's and 9's should have an extra bend. I'm not sure how to describe this technically, but if you start at the top of the 6, there should be a bend at the end where the end of the curve meets the straight left end. Also, I believe the "5" has a slant at the middle joint - similar to the 5's on the Varsity Block D font. The insides of the numbers should be slanted, not square.

All of these are for the shoulder/sleeve font (shift + #), the standard font is excellent.

The Cowboys THROWBACK font is the exact one that was used for their Thanksgiving Classic Jerseys this past year.

And what problem with the Block 8's?

Eriq, there is a problem on some of the block 8's.  The center notch on the right side is not straight on NFL Varsity Blocks B, C, D, F and H and on all of the Varsity Block fonts.  This distortion becomes more noticeable the larger the font is.  This problem does not appear to be on the secondary (shift-8) numbers.

From last week.

P.S. I thought the Cowboys Throwback font was from the old Cowboy jerseys and not the current Thanksgiving Throwbacks - sorry.

Eriq, there is a problem on some of the block 8's.  The center notch on the right side is not straight on NFL Varsity Blocks B, C, D, F and H and on all of the Varsity Block fonts.  This distortion becomes more noticeable the larger the font is.  This problem does not appear to be on the secondary (shift-8) numbers.

From last week.

P.S. I thought the Cowboys Throwback font was from the old Cowboy jerseys and not the current Thanksgiving Throwbacks - sorry.

That's okay, that's why I mentioned it.

Just use combinations of the Varsity Classic Serif fonts to produce that old Cowboys font.

Archived