Negative space

OMMF

Hold up a minute, was the arrow intentional?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Good lord, folks... of COURSE it was intentional.

And negative space is often a wonderous design charachter that brings depth and life to design. If it can be acheived without being forced, it is marvelous.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Negative space can also have drawbacks. It can incorporate clutter that's not constructive. I've struggled with this often in my designs.

Case in point, my revised Houston Rockets design:

Houston%20Rockets%20Concept%20Logo.gif

The shapes created by the white space, especially in the top of the R (with the H combination), generate confusion and make the design less clear than it could be.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

it's good if you could see the logo every day for a full year without noticing it... like fedex, or the hartford whalers.

but the big 10 thing is just annoying. everyone can see it, and it's not really all that clever...

I don't know--I saw the Whalers' "H" right away...

But that doesn't mean it wasn't a cool logo--because it's one of my all time favorites...

i didn't say you HAD to see it a full year before noticing :)

if it's subtle enough that you could not notice a negative-space element, without being considered retarded or blind, then it's a great thing to have.

but if it starts to interfere with the actual logo (like taking a chunk out of the letter T), i think it's best to forget about it.

Okay--I get your point--and I concur...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

How 'bout this one...

BOS_672.gif

There are two extra "B"'s in the logo. Kinda cool.

It's called an outline! <_<

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Archived