What Are The Keys To A Great Logo?

the_cynic

I don't know if this has ever been asked but I thought now would be as good of a time as ever. What are the keys or elements to having a great logo?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

The most important thing from a business standpoint is that it engages fans and communicates a message to them.

It's also incredibly helpful if the logo visually differentiates the club from other competitors, not only within their league, but from other entertainment choices within the targeted market.

The most important thing from a business standpoint is that it engages fans and communicates a message to them.

It's also incredibly helpful if the logo visually differentiates the club from other competitors, not only within their league, but from other entertainment choices within the targeted market.

How about just from a corporate stand point? Let's separate ourselves from the sports world for just a second.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

.....AND a tri-colored basketball.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

How about just from a corporate stand point? Let's separate ourselves from the sports world for just a second.

Okay... this is actually more my cup of tea than the sports stuff.

The goals are actually not too far off from sports logos, actually.

Differentiate yourself from competition, communicate the fundimental character and purpose of your business, be easily remembered and recognized, be flexible enough to be used on a variety of mediums... and of course to be aesthetically pleasing. Longevity is also important.

As well as communicating purpose effectively, I think simplicity goes a long way to making a great logo. There is nothing more frustrating to me than seeing a needlessly complicated logo, corporate or sports. Like they say, K.I.S.S.

And like someone else says, if all else fails, nothing beats a tri-coloured basketball. :P

Balance, Simplicity, and Efficiency combine to send the viewer a message they like and will not soon forget.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 2 months later...

Heres some thoughts from the Father of Modern logo design....

"There is no accounting for people's perceptions. Some see a logo or anything else that's seeable, the way they see an inkblot. Others look without seeing either the meaning or even the function of a logo. It is perhaps this sort of problem that prompted ABC TV to toy with the idea of "Updating their logo" (1962). They realised the folly only after a market survey revealed high audience recognition. This is to say nothing of the intrinsic value of a well-established symbol. When a logo's design is irrelevant: quality, not vintage nor vanity is the determining factor. 'A logo, after all, is an instrument of Pride and should be shown at its best.'" - Paul Rand

cfg.jpg41QN7ATP9VL._AA280_.jpg

Archived