Logo ripoff?

huronbay

The new Charlotte Bobcat's orange cat looks very similar to the Arena Football 2 Florida Firecat's orange cat.

I'm sorry I don't know how to post images, but can someone help me out.

The Firecats would have a case IMO.

In a somewhat related thought,

I just wish the Jacksonville Jaguars could have kept their original logo and helmet.  It would have been amongst the best in the NFL instead of the worst. ???

In a somewhat related thought,

I just wish the Jacksonville Jaguars could have kept their original logo and helmet. It would have been amongst the best in the NFL instead of the worst. ???

Blasphemy! :D

Actually, I liked the old Jags logo. You must not be aware of the lawsuit that the Jaguar car company launched against them for brand infringement or something of the likes. The car company said the Jags leaping logo looked too much like theirs and would hurt the strength of their brand.

And I happen to think the logo they have now is exceptional and the helmet couldn't get much better. (Of course, I'm biased. I'm a Jags fan!)

And about the ripoff... don't get me started on how uncreative NVU Productions is. (They created the Bobcats logo for those who didn't know.) They stole the Firecats logo style and the Mavericks font... They suck so hard they can't even come up with something new. They have to rip off other ideas. And they get paid for it. Travesty of justice, I say. Let's burn their offices down.

TacomaMajestics.gif

This is an image of the Tacoma Majestics of a Women's Professional Football League (not sure what league) but the logo isn't very old.  I found it on logoserver.com

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

How does an NFL team having a similar logo to a car company weaken the car company's image?? Sounds like Jaguar just wanted a bit of cheap publicity to me (from the court case!)

For those of you who can only refer back to Carolina, Jacksonville, Cleveland and Houston as reference points for NFL expansion, it should be noted that in "the old days," NFL expansion teams were often beyond dreadful and embarassing for the first few years.  The 1960 Dallas Cowboys went winless in their first year and the 1976 Bucs went 0-14 and then lost their first 12 in 1977.  Ford (who owns Jaguar) was upset enough that the Jacksonville people decided to use the name Jaguars because they did not want their name to become synonymous with futility.  Keep in mind that the Jaguar automobile company's prime customer also happens to be the same demographic as the NFL's prime season ticket holder, thus the name and trademark are both aimed at the same audience, albeit for different products.  I think Ford realized they weren't going to be able to stop Jacksonville NFL from using the name, so they settled the matter by getting Jacksonville NFL to agree to a complete logo redesign that would not use a leaping jaguar.

Now, from a logical standpoint, I doubt very many males age 35-60 are going to make their luxury car purchases based upon the success or failure of a football team with the same name, but the key here is timing.  By threatening to get an injunction preventing Jacksonville NFL from selling any more merchandise bearing the Jaguar name and logo, the Jags had to make a pretty quick decision to get a new, distinctive logo.  Plus, with Ford being a huge NFL advertiser (and the Ford family owning the Lions, to boot) they were able to exert the economic pressure necessary to get most of what they wanted out of the deal.  This whole conflict had very little to do with trademark infringement and had everything to do with a big business trying to keep its logo globally exclusive regardless of the context of its use.

Thanks Sabes for picking up the ball and posting the logo.  I'm still trying to get the hang of things here.  

Ripoff?  Inspiration? Either way, the Bobcats are here to stay.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived