Marquette supposedly deciding today

Sterling84

There's an article in the Journtinel today that supposedly campus officials will announce whether or not they are switching back to the Warriors nickname.

I know it'll be on the news tonight, but until then I don't quite know where to "scoop" it.

Just an FYI.

JSOnline Story

EDIT**

Ya know, the last thing I want to do is start the ole PC mascot debate over again. I mean, of all the overdone topics here.......Ughhh.

But I think it's odd that a team could feature any number of cultural "warriors" both historical and fictional like Samurai, Titans, Gladiators, Ninjas, Militia, Greek and Roman figures, Knights, Cowboys, Bandits, etc.......and yet not the natives of this country without causing a stir.

Certainly adopting a Samurai is no more or less honorable than that of a Native American chief is it?

If you want to have the Redskins and Chiefs type debates fine. Thats not what I'm arguing. If you want to debate whether or not teams should adopt violent or dangerous monikers fine. But this particular case I never quite understood.

Is there any precident for a team returning to something they were pressured into changing before?

Lets just hope we dont get a Golden State "Rocketeer" looking dude.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No precedent that I can remember.

I'm hoping that they change back (even though I technically can't comment, since I'm a UW Grad :D ). I thought it was weak for changing in the first place, since they weren't really pressured to begin with. All they did was change to avoid anyone from complaining (IIRC).

It's where I sit.

Now would be the best time to change back to the Warriors. Marquette already has to repaint their basketball courts to reflect the change from Conference USA to The Big East.

Marquette is teh suck (Go UWM Panthers). That being said, they would be less of teh suck if they went back to the Warriors nickname ;)

QPR%20Sig.png

Now would be the best time to change back to the Warriors.  Marquette already has to repaint their basketball courts to reflect the change from Conference USA to The Big East.

The whole court just to change two logos?

Is there any precident for a team returning to something they were pressured into changing before?

The Syracuse Skychiefs baseball team changed their name from Chiefs after pressure from the Onondaga Nation. This year the Skychiefs are wearing jerseys that just say Chiefs at some home games. They're talking about going back to the Chiefs name, but their logo would be related to a Fire or Police Chief.

Marquette is teh suck (Go UWM Panthers). That being said, they would be less of teh suck if they went back to the Warriors nickname

Did you go to UWM? This grammar isn't a good endorsement of the school.

:blink: You've never heard "teh suck" before?

I don't think Marquette was really pressured into changing it (I remember it came as a big shock). More about wanting to rebrand and sell stuff than outside pressure.

I don't much care either way about the nickname. The old Warriors logo was awful, and that should stay dead.

Gold?! You have to be f-ing kidding! As a Marquette graduate (1983) I am disgusted with that name. What are they trying to be a Syracuse wanna-be? What kind of mascot can you have with Gold, a nugget? Look for the Georgetown Greys, Depaul Deep Purple, and St John Silver in the near future. The Big East will change their logo to a rainbow.

Gold?! You have to be f-ing kidding! As a Marquette graduate (1983) I am disgusted with that name. What are they trying to be a Syracuse wanna-be? What kind of mascot can you have with Gold, a nugget? Look for the Georgetown Greys, Depaul Deep Purple, and St John Silver in the near future. The Big East will change their logo to a rainbow.

DePaul Deep Purple, interesting idea. :D

Would their new fight song be Smoke on the Water? :lol:

Seriously though, Marquette Gold sounds incredibly stupid.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

why would depaul be deep purple, that isnt even one of their colors

Archived