Marquette supposedly deciding today

Sterling84

If "Hilltoppers" wasn't being used by the high school, I'd agree.

Actually, I still agree.  Wouldn't bother me to have the nicknames be the same, but I can see why they're reluctant to adopt it.

Why can't the high school and college have the same nickname, especially if they share the same name (Marquette U.)?

Here in Philadelphia, St. Joseph's University and St. Joseph's Prep are both the Hawks. Ditto the LaSalle University/High School Explorers. No one mistakes the high school teams for the college teams.

My College used to be in Carthage Illinois. The High School there was the Carthage Blue Boys. The College then addapted the name the Carthage Redmen.

Then they moved ot Kenosha, and the only way the name made sense was to make it Associated with Native Americans.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If "Hilltoppers" wasn't being used by the high school, I'd agree.

Actually, I still agree.  Wouldn't bother me to have the nicknames be the same, but I can see why they're reluctant to adopt it.

Why can't the high school and college have the same nickname, especially if they share the same name (Marquette U.)?

Here in Philadelphia, St. Joseph's University and St. Joseph's Prep are both the Hawks. Ditto the LaSalle University/High School Explorers. No one mistakes the high school teams for the college teams.

My College used to be in Carthage Illinois. The High School there was the Carthage Blue Boys. The College then addapted the name the Carthage Redmen.

Then they moved ot Kenosha, and the only way the name made sense was to make it Associated with Native Americans.

The college moved? States? :blink:

Yes. In the early 50's. Its actually moved a couple times. It started as Illinois State College in Springfield where Abe Lincoln was a trustee (hense the giant abe statue on a campus in Wisconsin) and I think it moved once before it got to Carthage, IL.

They were facing enrollment crisis I guess, so they moved and it helped. Enrollment has increased pretty much every year since they moved.

I can think of several high-school / college mascot tie-ins...the one that comes to mind first is Franklin, Indiana. Franklin College is the Grizzlies and Franklin High School is the (Grizzly) Cubs. How you would change "hilltoppers" to be a tie-in is beyond me.

My choice is LeadMiners, Leadminers, Lead Miners, or Miners.

Hilltoppers also has a connection to miners. Nickname given to those miners who mined near or on top of hills. (also see West Kentucky University)

LeadMiners would tie in with long history of lead mining in WI. Also compliment UW Badgers who took their nickname from the early WI lead miners who lived in holes in the side of hills like Badgers.

WKU are the hilltoppers because the campus is on a big ass hill and the students have to climb it everyday.

That hill is called "Prospector Hill" by students and locals. W Kentucky is noted for it's rich coal deposits in the western Kentucky coal fields. They do surface mining and hill removal mining IE: Hilltoppers.

Hilltoppers also in WI are miners and/or miners living in the hills.

I could be wrong on this as W Kentucky does not use a miner as a logo. What is that red thing they use as a logo?

Originally, I thought they should go with Explorers, but since LaSalle already uses that nickname (with a similar color palette), I think Voyagers would make a good nickname that would lend itself to a pretty cool-looking logo. However, in my scenario, Marquette wouldn't use the English spelling/punctuation, they would change it to the French spelling of Voyageurs (being that Pere Marquette was French). Nobody else in NCAA D-1 uses it, and it's a link to the heritage of the college and the Milwaukee area...

QPR%20Sig.png

Archived