Marquette supposedly deciding today

Sterling84

Extremely boring. I like the mark, but the name sucks and it seems like it needs more than just a monogram. What the hell was wrong with the Golden Eagles anyway??

My thoughts exactly. They had some rather nice marks for the Golden Eagles, if I remember correctly.

Maybe this is a ploy to keep Golden Eagles. "Look, we gave you Golden Eagles and you didn't like it. So now we give you... this. Which would you rather have, hmmm?"

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all. After becoming violently ill after hearing the name yesterday, your comments have revived perspectives.

By the way, why didn't MU just go all out and name the team the Solid Gold? Wouldn't be much better as a nickname, but they could have the Solid Gold Dancers at every game.

SO-LID GOOOOOOOOLLLLD!

(PS, if they really wanted a strange name, they could have borrowed the name of the "flaps" atop the Milwaukee Art Museum and become the Marquette Brise Soliel. (that's sun shade). It's even french, just like Fr. Marquette himself! And it's no worse than "Gold."

Will the women's teams be known as the Goldilocks?

Thank you! Tip your veal and try the waitress.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Ooops. Spelled his name wrong. Billy Wirth is an actor, but in 1989 he appeared on ( I think) the original American Gladiators. Back when it was an actual tournament. He was small but feisty and everyone was rooting for him.

Link on IMDb

Now you're bringing back memories...

Was this they guy who was constantly reprimanded by the ref for getting a little too feisty? That was awesome. I also remember Rico Constantino (I think that was his name). He looked like a cross between Tito Santana and Nick from Family Ties.

Randomest tangent ever.

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

goldmember.jpg

I love Gooooooooooold!

:lol: Couldn't have put it any better myself.

And yeah, it was Rico Constantino, the former Las Vegas police officer who would go on to enjoy a brief stint in the WWE as Billy and Chuck's flamboyant stylist who apparently pushed them to go through with the whole 'commitment ceremony' debacle.

constantino.jpg

I also remember Rico Constantino (I think that was his name). He looked like a cross between Tito Santana and Nick from Family Ties.

Randomest tangent ever.

Who went on to be a performer in the WWE.

we are...NOT Markette...thank god.

I know one thing, that's one arrogant program. especially considering they don't really have anything to be arrogant about :D

I was really expecting them to announce that they weren't doing anything. they at least woulda been better off. the only team "Gold" really worked for IMO is the Denver Gold. it doesn't work for Markette.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

students504.jpg

It seems to me that Marquette missed a GOLDen opportunity when developing the school's new athletic identity. With a student body comprised of nerds like this, the choice of a new nickname should have obviously been narrowed down to one of these Top Five Finalists:

The Marquette University Fightin' Dweebs...

The Marquette University Dungeons and Dragons Afficianados...

The Marquette University Roly-Poly Roleplayers...

The Marquette University Virgins Without Hope...

And the NEW Marquette University Athletic Department identity...

The Golden Geeks!!!

or as they are affectionately called.....the 12-Siders.

That's what that school deserves. Somebody said arrogant. Boy Howdy are they ever. Costs nearly 5 times what I paid at UWM and for naught much more than a fancy "blessed" diploma. Few years back they wanted to permanently close down Wisconsin Avenue (our "MAIN" street) for six blocks where campus sits to make a more contained, tranquil University experience. Traffic be damned. Losers.

And the neighborhood is awful....I lived on campus with my girlfriend (now wife) at 17th and Wisconsin. Yeeeeesh.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Cant wait to see the Gold play the Orange! That will be fun! :P

How about when the Gold would play the Cardinal (Stanford)?

There could be an all color tournament. Invite Nebraska (Big Red) and Michigan (Go Blue).

There could be an all color tournament. Invite Nebraska (Big Red) and Michigan (Go Blue).

The winner from that bracket gets:

Syracuse ORANGE

Harvard CRIMSON

Cornell BIG RED

of the winner of the play-in game, Dartmouth BIG GREEN v. North Texas MEAN GREEN.

Is it better for green to be mean or big?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

or as they are affectionately called.....the 12-Siders.

That's what that school deserves. Somebody said arrogant. Boy Howdy are they ever. Costs nearly 5 times what I paid at UWM and for naught much more than a fancy "blessed" diploma. Few years back they wanted to permanently close down Wisconsin Avenue (our "MAIN" street) for six blocks where campus sits to make a more contained, tranquil University experience. Traffic be damned. Losers.

And the neighborhood is awful....I lived on campus with my girlfriend (now wife) at 17th and Wisconsin. Yeeeeesh.

Hmmm, lets' go over the choices once again...

Living near UWM=surrounded by Shorewood and the East Side

Living near Marquete=surrounded by the Interchange and the ghetto

UWM's graduates design cities and make movies

Marquette's graduates pull teeth and litigate

UWM never had to change their nickname due to concerns over "political correctness"

Marquette not only did so once, but they screwed up a second nickname change royally

Yeah, I could see how you'd come to that conclusion ;)

I've never been more proud to be a UWM alum in all my life. Hopefully Marquette keeps messing up like this, maybe this will push more Milwaukeeans who don't have a connection to either Marquette or UWM to our side ;)

QPR%20Sig.png

Either way, we all know that this plan stinks worst then... Well, it stinks.

Now, if they can just have a decent basketball team, then they are set.

students504.jpg

It seems to me that Marquette missed a GOLDen opportunity when developing the school's new athletic identity. With a student body comprised of nerds like this, the choice of a new nickname should have obviously been narrowed down to one of these Top Five Finalists:

The Marquette University Fightin' Dweebs...

The Marquette University Roly-Poly Roleplayers...

The Marquette University Virgins Without Hope...

And the NEW Marquette University Athletic Department identity...

The Golden Geeks!!!

You gotta love the guy busting up in the background while "revenge of the nerds" hang their heads. :lol:

6uXNWAo.png

Syracuse ORANGE

Harvard CRIMSON

Cornell BIG RED

of the winner of the play-in game, Dartmouth BIG GREEN v. North Texas MEAN GREEN.

Lets take other teams that have colors in the name. Example St John's Red Storm and make them the St. John's Red. These teams could have their own conference.

Syracuse ORANGE

Harvard CRIMSON

Cornell BIG RED

Lets take other teams that have colors in the name. Example St John's Red Storm and make them the St. John's Red. These teams could have their own conference.

I say when they play the Orange because the Gold will be joinin the Oranges confernece

Signature intentionally left blank

Just picture the game between Marquette and Syracuse....

The Crayola Cup...Gold vs. Orange

My personal thanks to you for this one -- I stole it and used it on the radio today during a call in segment on the local sports radio station.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Also RE: UW-Milwaukee - Since the Panthers are the black and gold, and Marquette is now just the Gold, does that make UWM twice the school Marquette is? (stolen from the radio, not mine)

It's where I sit.

Just picture the game between Marquette and Syracuse....

The Crayola Cup...Gold vs. Orange

My personal thanks to you for this one -- I stole it and used it on the radio today during a call in segment on the local sports radio station.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

So was that why Sparky started mentioning the Crayola Cup this afternoon? ;)

And yes, it does make UWM twice the school. But I knew that long before the nickname change :P

QPR%20Sig.png

Archived