Illustrator Help

pcgd

Is that the original logo? If not, post the original version.

If it is, about the only thing you gon' be able to do with that is actually redraw the letters, if you don't have whatever font that is. And even if you do, you'll have to convert the text to outliines in order to achieve the pointed edges going on with the letters there.

Yea, that is the original logo, and I isolated the text, even tried doing each character individually. I have no idea what text that is either.

• 1 month later...

1st thing would be to check in Photoshop to make sure they are not already smart objects (vectors in PSDs). If you're lucky and they are copy/drag-n-drop into illy and your done.

if, they're raster only, you can place them in illy and use the live trace>expand to have the built-in streamline-like feature convert them for you. the 1st layer looks the most promising, but you still may have to edit what is auto converted (or play with the trace options a few times to get better results). the shadows layer you could reproduce with the gradient mesh tool to a good degree (plenty of good TUTs online, ask Mr Google).

but for all the time and quality of results, i think you be better spent redrawing with the pen tool in the layers and editable features you want to be able to edit/modify. sorry, but i don't think there's a quicker, easier, and more correct way than that.

btw, is that a EA FIFAxx uni creator or something? nice layering.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

• 1 month later...

Need some help to solve a trouble with Illustrator CS4.

It may look a pretty simple thing, but I just can't work them out.

Here's the story: I have to type a script on a path (a circle in this case). So I use my "Type on a Path Tool" for the upper script, which goes from left to right and it works fine; then I move down I just can't write the bottom script from left to right as well.

Thanks in advance.

make a copy of the text on the top, then use the direct selection tool and drag the text to the bottom of the circle and make sure you are on the inside of the circle, it can be a little finicky while doing this, then set you base line shift to something in the negative amount, this will move the top of the text to the bottom of the circle.

make a copy of the text on the top, then use the direct selection tool and drag the text to the bottom of the circle and make sure you are on the inside of the circle, it can be a little finicky while doing this, then set you base line shift to something in the negative amount, this will move the top of the text to the bottom of the circle.

Thanks a bunch, dude! I fixed it!

When using CS2, after using the Live Trace function, I can't figure out how to make it a normal vector image w/ outlines that you're able to move and adjust and whatnot, like if you had made the image yourself from scratch.

Can Anyone Help?

Thanks in advance!

I think some one mentioned it earlier. Go to object, go down to Expand appearance and that should do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to subtract the eroded effect shape from the circles shape with the Minus Front tool (Pathfinder -> Shape Modes).

Notice that I did the eroded effect starting from a Brush, then I expanded them.

I tried to transform the circles shape into a compound path, so I thought I was able to subtract the whole thing in one time, but it just doesn't work.

At the moment the effect in B. example is obtained only by the same color for brush and background, and it is not what I'm looking for my job.

grid.jpg

I don't know if it's the best way to do what you want, but you can always via the pathfinder select all that you want and then hit divide and you can actually select the pieces you want to delete. Just make sure to deselect the image and then click back on it or you will delete the whole image. It's a going to be time consuming, but I think it's what you want.

I don't know if it's the best way to do what you want, but you can always via the pathfinder select all that you want and then hit divide and you can actually select the pieces you want to delete. Just make sure to deselect the image and then click back on it or you will delete the whole image. It's a going to be time consuming, but I think it's what you want.

Yeah, that's the way I use to work, but it takes way too much time. Thanks for replying, though.

• 2 weeks later...

if by shadow, you mean "shading" ont he jersey itself... i usually draw the shaded areas and reduce the transparancy, or add a gradient blend of the base color to a darker/lighter color. it gives it a more realistic look.

as for linking images, on your photospin image, right click and open "Properties" and copy the URL (in this case, it's "http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn296/byrnezy20/template.jpg"'>http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn296/byrnezy20/template.jpg"). in the reply toolbar of this site there is a photo, click it and it inserts the tags for you to link the image to, paste the URL into the link, and it'll pop up.

other sites you may have to code as you go (ie: enter"[ img ]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn296/byrnezy20/template.jpg[ /img ]" (only without the spaces in the img holders)

and you should get template.jpg

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

Yeah, that's the way I use to work, but it takes way too much time. Thanks for replying, though.

beatnik, if you take the images you want to divide to a new file, circles in pink and brush stroke effect in black, use the divide as explained previously. Then go to Select/same/fill color or stroke/pick black and then hit the delete and all the black will delete leaving only the pink in the disired look you wanted. Then copy and paste it back to your work project. That should save you a bunch of time.

I have a question...

I found this really nice hockey template, but my problem is I'm not quite sure how to start in Illustrator. If I just try to change the colors, the colors are static and replace the effects on the sweaters. I guess what I'm asking is... How do you edit these templates in a non-destructive fashion? Do I have to use tools like the Magic Wand and what not?

I'm a little new with Illustrator, so some of the more advanced stuff is still a little tricky for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got another issue... When I try to apply white keylines to the outermost objects of my logo, I only want said white keyline to appear on one side, the outside edge. Usually this works, but on some images, the keyline will appear on both sides, and overlaps some inner objects on my logo. I've played around with all sorts of settings, and I can't figure out how to get it to just appear on the outside edge.

I've got another issue... When I try to apply white keylines to the outermost objects of my logo, I only want said white keyline to appear on one side, the outside edge. Usually this works, but on some images, the keyline will appear on both sides, and overlaps some inner objects on my logo. I've played around with all sorts of settings, and I can't figure out how to get it to just appear on the outside edge.

by "keyline" i assume you mean a white border. you can do this with the Object>Path>Offset Path>offset distance option, or it sounds like you just used the stroke option. Select Window>Stroke or [Ctrl+F10] you will open the Stroke Pallete. Under the weight and mitre selections is "align stroke", adjust that to be either center offset, inside offset, or outside offset. i think it's center by default.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ