Illustrator Help

pcgd

Good day to you all.

Here is my situation.

I have upgraded to CS3.

(Not what everyone would prefer, but maybe what some could afford/justify.

My problem

When I do an Offset Path, I do Object>Path>Offset Path

This works fine.

But what I am left with is both Paths remain highlighted.

So if I am outlining text, I have to de-select every letter that I want to remain one colour, while selecting the new outlined letter.

Is it possible to change this to simply highlighting the new Path I have made with Offset, like CS2 does?

If so, how?

I think if you ungroup your outlined type before you do the offset path, this fixes your issue.

Good day to you all.

Here is my situation.

I have upgraded to CS3.

(Not what everyone would prefer, but maybe what some could afford/justify.

My problem

When I do an Offset Path, I do Object>Path>Offset Path

This works fine.

But what I am left with is both Paths remain highlighted.

So if I am outlining text, I have to de-select every letter that I want to remain one colour, while selecting the new outlined letter.

Is it possible to change this to simply highlighting the new Path I have made with Offset, like CS2 does?

If so, how?

I think if you ungroup your outlined type before you do the offset path, this fixes your issue.

I paste (in place) the same path on a separate layer and lock it. The "Offset Path" layer is behind the original. You'll have a bit more freedom that way.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

The text is not in a group.

And it still occurs.

Jimmy, what I am doing is outling a bunch of letters, not sure how you mean paste them in place when it selects not only the outline but also the paths I am offsetting.

See how it automatically selects both what I have just created and what I was Offsetting? I don't want that.

screen-Cap.gif

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

And it still occurs.

Jimmy, what I am doing is outling a bunch of letters, not sure how you mean paste them in place when it selects not only the outline but also the paths I am offsetting.

See how it automatically selects both what I have just created and what I was Offsetting? I don't want that.

screen-Cap.gif

You want your letters to be one group, and the outline to be another. The easiest way to do this is to take your text (shape or object), copy it, and lock the layer it's on (layer 1). Create a new layer BEHIND the text (so layer 2 is under layer 1) and paste on that layer in front or paste in back (Apple F or Apple B). It won't matter which command you do because the new layer is under/behind the original layer.

You should now have two layers with the same text in the exact same place. Offset the bottom layer and leave the top layer locked.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

And it still occurs.

screen-Cap.gif

You want your letters to be one group, and the outline to be another. The easiest way to do this is to take your text (shape or object), copy it, and lock the layer it's on (layer 1). Create a new layer BEHIND the text (so layer 2 is under layer 1) and paste on that layer in front or paste in back (Apple F or Apple B). It won't matter which command you do because the new layer is under/behind the original layer.

You should now have two layers with the same text in the exact same place. Offset the bottom layer and leave the top layer locked.

But then, won't I get two sets of letters for every time I outline something?

EG. I Copy Detroit onto Layer 2.

Then I outline it, Now I have two Ds, two Es, two Ts, and so on. on Layer 2.

Maybe I colour them all White.

Now I have Black text on Layer 1, and White text on Layer 2. This is OK, even though I don't like having 2 of evrything.

However, I now want to make Layer 3, which is Red.

So I create another Layer, copy the White into it, then outline it.

Then I change the colour to Red.

In Layer 3 I have four Ds, four Es, four Ts you see where I am going with this.

In CS2 I just Offset Path and it highlighted the new path created. Which I could then Group and move to another Layer or simply re-colour.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

You can ungroup the background layer (after you offset) and get rid of the original letters.

well that's where I am at now.

How do I not have to continually delete stuff I never wanted in the first place?

Surely there must be some sort of setting that lets you only select the new Offset Path and not both Paths.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Least worst solution I've come up with so far is to make the original letters a Compound Path, then do the Offsetting.

This way I only have to change one Compound Path, instead of all the letters that make it up.

Still think CS2 handles it better though.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

• 1 month later...

I have a fairly basic question about using the pen tool and how it translates from Photoshop to Illustrator. Basically, in Photoshop, I draw lines with the pen tool, click on the line to add an additional anchor point, and then using CTRL and the newly created anchor point to create a smooth curve. I was curious if anyone knew how to use a similar method to draw lines in Illustrator?

If I need to explain this better, I have the tutorial I followed when learning how to draw lines in Photoshop. I am trying to convert to Illustrator because Photoshop ruins the detail of the images.

Also, if anyone is familiar with Illustrator and Inkscape, I would like your opinion on what is easier to learn.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Estone, i believe thats how Von Glitschka does his Ai work. check out this tutorial: http://illustrationclass.com/2008/01/24/poster-illustration-tiger/

also, Illustrator is the industry standard for vector graphics. never tried inkscape but i wouldnt want to use anything other than Ai

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

So for my NFL Redesign thread, I'm currently working on the Patriots. I'm sure most of you have seen the "leaked" Patriots Pro Combat concept that was floating around a few months ago. Truth is, I really like it. I wanted to incorporate the stars and stripes into a "Primetime" jersey for my more classic Patriots set. I've been able to figure out the stars, but I'm having a very hard time figuring out how to accurately depict the stripes on andrewharrington's template.

Does anybody have suggestions, solutions, or any other tips on how to make this concept work? It would be much appreciated.

EDIT:

Actually, I lied about the stars. I was able to get the area I needed blue, but how can I make a star "pattern" that matches the American flag and stays inside the blue area?

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

DeFrank, if i undertand correctly, you need to use clipping mask.

103hkcl.png

1. lay out your stars (or stripes) in a single horizontal row. use the Align Palette to evenly distribute the space between ("horizontal distribute space" under the 'Distribute Spacing' part). copy that row and set underneath as you need. you can use "vertical distribute spacing" for each row. 'Group' all the stars together.

2. you need to copy the shape that you are setting your stars/stripes in, and set in on top. use CMD+7 (Object > clipping mask > make). now, your pattern is cut to your shape.

3. the 3rd picture is your end result, selected

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Just a few questions:

Let's say you're working on something symmetrical and would like to align the mirrored sides flush, how would you do it?

How do you evenly space objects?

Any help on these would really be appreciated!

1) Assuming that the lines of each symmetrical side are indeed as vertical as possible, you can turn on "smart guides" and they should just sort of snap to each other (it's what I do at least, there are probably much better ways of approaching that).

2) I would refer you to this tutorial--it goes into much detail about the inner-workings of the various "spacing" tools. There can be many different approaches to evenly spacing objects (such as spacing between two objects, or spacing throughout the entire artboard, etc.). It's all very simple, mind you, but there are many variables to how to approach it.

Just a few questions:

Let's say you're working on something symmetrical and would like to align the mirrored sides flush, how would you do it?

How do you evenly space objects?

Any help on these would really be appreciated!

the "align" palette. "horizontally/vertically distribute objects" might do the trick for you

GRAPHIC ARTIST

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone ever looks in this thread anymore, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask a question ^_^

I've been importing .SVG files into Illustrator, and anytime i resize the logo, the stroke widths go all goofy. Anyone have this problem?

not sure if its SVG file specific but you can go to your Illustrator > preferences > general and check "scale strokes and effects". if its already turned on, im out of ideas.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

• 2 weeks later...

So in one of my files, I'm trying to use the convert anchor tool to move some handles and paths around. When I click on a handle to move it, it tells me I need to click on an anchor point to convert an anchor. It also doesn't highlight paths and anchors when I mouse over them like it does in other files. I though maybe I'd clicked some weird option while trying to do something else (I habitually press ctrl-H when I mean to hit ctrl-J, so I hide my anchors pretty frequently, but this doesn't seem to be the case).

I have smart guides set up, but it doesn't seem to matter, something is off with this file. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Fixed. I hit the old ctrl-", snap to grid. Hooray for me.

Grunge-Logos.png