Other Design Help

pcgd

• 7 months later...

I'm looking for a real user-friendly getting started tutorial for inkscape. I have illustrator as well, but I haven't gotten it onto my new laptop, so I'd like the versatility of either program to be handy. I'm a photoshop veteran of many many years but vectoring is new to me. I've searched a few websites but had no luck. Any help and I will bow to you.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Good place to find a quick and dirty contract? I have a potential freelance job with a non-friend client, and I want to protect myself.

Get this book: http://www.amazon.com/Graphic-Artists-Guild-Handbook-Guidelines/dp/0932102131/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293718055&sr=1-1

There is a contract inside along with many other good things including pricing and other practices you should follow. You can get them at most big book stores in the store so you can have one in your hands by the end of the day.

Hopefully this isn't too late! Good Luck!

Good place to find a quick and dirty contract? I have a potential freelance job with a non-friend client, and I want to protect myself.

Get this book: http://www.amazon.co...93718055&sr=1-1

There is a contract inside along with many other good things including pricing and other practices you should follow. You can get them at most big book stores in the store so you can have one in your hands by the end of the day.

Hopefully this isn't too late! Good Luck!

Thanks! Still in discussion mode with this guy.

Any advice/issues/things to look out for? This job will have a fair amount of outsourcing (printing, mail house, and web development) and the client is looking for me to run point on all of it. It's been awhile since I've done a project of this magnitude, so I want to go into it as prepared as I can.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

jimmy my advice is charge out the ass for the outsource stuff so you're not stuck with it. make sure you charge a fair price and don't dick around with the client. charge for every little thing, every change. keep records of emails, print them out and bring them to every meeting. get the client to sign off on every revision. bill regularly and don't proceed forward until you've received payment.

OD_Signature.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So I'm making a concept on Inkscape, and I've got it all drawn out, but I need to add an even white outline around the logo. I duplicated it, then tried to use the dynamic offset, but the little handle to resize the logo doesn't show up. Any ideas?

If I need a white outline, depending on the image, I always just duplicate the outermost shape send it to the back and change the line width so it shows up from behind. Probably not the correct way, but worth a try. :)

photobucket1.png

I tried that, but the white stroke ends up flat on the tips of the wings.

Alright, I took your advice yesterday and it worked, thanks a bunch. I'm working on the secondary logo now, and I'm wondering the best way to have a symmetric logo. I've been drawing one half, then duplicating, flipping and moving it into place then grouping them together. It seems to cause some difficulties when I'm throwing a stroke around it.

photobucket3.png

photobucket4.png

Alright, I took your advice yesterday and it worked, thanks a bunch. I'm working on the secondary logo now, and I'm wondering the best way to have a symmetric logo. I've been drawing one half, then duplicating, flipping and moving it into place then grouping them together. It seems to cause some difficulties when I'm throwing a stroke around it.

photobucket3.png

photobucket4.png

Don't group them. Use the pathfinder tool and combine them. This will create one, whole shape with only one outline.

Here's a link that does a better job describing it than me. (Step1)

http://www.bittbox.com/illustrator/pathfinder-explained

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got Adobe Photoshop and I'm trying to make uniforms and such but I'm having the problem with making images larger and smaller. I'm trying to put my logo on a uniform but its to small and I can't enlarge it unless the uniform gets bigger also. Anyone know how to enlarge just one layer not every layer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Illustrator has a free counterpart in Inkscape, Photoshop has a free counterpart (sort of) in GIMP. Is there a free/inexpensive counterpart to InDesign, though, that I can do page layout and design with?

• 6 months later...

Had a question regarding a potential legal issue.

My chicago bears blog/forum's logo (my avatar/sig) is based off of this infamous old school Bears' cap:

PAAAIAPNDDMIEDIC.jpg

These hats are still sold by the team. My website is growing and the admin team was curious about taking the next logical step and making merch and a store. I have some trepidations over this since I'm not 100% sure if that would be something we could be sued/shut down over.

The logo itself obviously is distinct in it's own way but I figure I should double check with you experienced grizzled hardasses before bringing a proposal back to my team.

Any help is much appreciated.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter