Other Design Help

pcgd

Had a question regarding a potential legal issue.

My chicago bears blog/forum's logo (my avatar/sig) is based off of this infamous old school Bears' cap:

PAAAIAPNDDMIEDIC.jpg

These hats are still sold by the team. My website is growing and the admin team was curious about taking the next logical step and making merch and a store. I have some trepidations over this since I'm not 100% sure if that would be something we could be sued/shut down over.

The logo itself obviously is distinct in it's own way but I figure I should double check with you experienced grizzled hardasses before bringing a proposal back to my team.

Any help is much appreciated.

bumping, anyone?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

if the mark is owned by the Bears you cannot redistribute and profit from it. the NFL is one business you dont want to F with.

But I'm not using the same mark. My question was is if this:

76889394.png

...infringes on this:

PAAAIAPNDDMIEDIC.jpg

Or if they're different enough to where it shouldn't be a problem.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

if the mark is owned by the Bears you cannot redistribute and profit from it. the NFL is one business you dont want to F with.

But I'm not using the same mark. My question was is if this:

76889394.png

...infringes on this:

PAAAIAPNDDMIEDIC.jpg

Or if they're different enough to where it shouldn't be a problem.

Was it inspired by the Bears' "B"? If someone off the street will say it looks like the Bears' "B", then any judge/jury will say you stole it. That's what the court uses in infringement cases, how much two images are alike, not different. Your best bet, create a new logo. If they Bears find out, then you're going to get a legal letter to remove the logo.

I'm in dire need of a good resource for (preferably) free, GOOD website templates-- easily customizable and updatable, possibly wordpress compatible, and aesthetically pleasing.

ANyone who has me on twitter, yes, this is all relating to the SECRET PROJECT I've been going on about.

Or, conversely, if anyone wants to help me with a website that won't pay anything but will look goddamned good on a resume or CV, PM me or DM me on the twitters.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• 3 weeks later...

I use inkscape, and I was wondering what the easiest way to get a nice, even stroke around a logo would be. I know how to use dynamic offset for simple stuff like shields, but for more complex shapes I'm forced to eye it with the Bezier tool.

I copy the main object that's being outlined, condense that down to one solid shape, fill nothing, add a good size outline, and then expand the stroke. You can then make edits to the outline a lot easier, IMO.

I use inkscape, and I was wondering what the easiest way to get a nice, even stroke around a logo would be. I know how to use dynamic offset for simple stuff like shields, but for more complex shapes I'm forced to eye it with the Bezier tool.

I copy the main object that's being outlined, condense that down to one solid shape, fill nothing, add a good size outline, and then expand the stroke. You can then make edits to the outline a lot easier, IMO.

Hmm, that's an easier way of what I do, I still find myself getting sloppy, uneven strokes in some areas though.

Hmm, that's an easier way of what I do, I still find myself getting sloppy, uneven strokes in some areas though.

The way I see it, it takes care of the simpler areas quickly, and it makes it easier to clean up the areas that you want to change. No doubt, sometimes it gets a little messy, though.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Would some one who is experienced in Photoshop give me a simple tutorial of how to get a gradient effect like these 2 images below have...

ex...

Boston%20Red%20Sox.gif

New%20England%20Patriots.gif

As you see, it has a gradient effect but I can't figure out how to do this. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

theres more than one way to do this, but heres how i would do it in PS

gradientfs.jpg

1. in the top left i circled the type of gradient you need to use for this

2. on the image, the measurement is where i started with the gradient and where i dragged it to. depending on how your swatches are set up (reverse them by pressing X) you will either need to drag from middle down, or bottom to the middle. make sure your gradient/swatch is black and white

3. the far right is how i achieved that affect you see. SCREEN and 43%. as you can see, theres some banding on the image, it's pretty poor quality, but thats the gist of it. stay away from 100% black/white on your background. also, the OVERLAY and SOFT LIGHT setting may work best depending on colors you're using

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...