Cartoon

artvandelay

It's amazing how many people think you can take any piece of crap and turn it into gold just because of Photoshop, or any graphic program for that matter.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I've impressed myself with taking crappy images before and making them usable, but with what I do (large and grand format graphics mostly...ie banners, billboards) its even harder when someone gives you a 1" wide logo to blow up to even a foot. Even though the viewing distance is far away, its still impossible to use.

My favorite is when you tell a client "I'd prefer an eps or illustrator file, but if you give me a high quality file about the size of a regular photo (4x6) I can use that." Well, I told one client this 3 seperate times, the first time I got a word document, the second time a low quality JPG, and the third time, a low quality GIF. I don't know what to tell them when it takes me 30 mins of design time to redo it, I've told them 3 times what I need.

Guess its all part of the game.

I get the same problem with advertisers and low-quality images. (See the other thread about my movie slides.)

These get projected onto a full-size movie theater screen, so there has to be high resolution. Some of them tell me to take their logo off of a business card, or pull photos off a website.

(Sometimes, the corporate websites have .eps files available for advertising that the local guys don't even know about. And I admit I have "cheated" and gone to brandsoftheworld.com for a logo if I can't find it anywhere else. If all else fails, I scan the logo from the business card, then reconstruct it by hand in Illustrator.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

This is like what happens when people try to submit their own photos to put in the newspaper. Most are way to small to reproduce at 170 dpi, which is where we need them. Thankfully, though, I've found people are usually more understanding than this guy. :D

Remember on King of the Hill when Hank made his Dallas Cowboys movie? He walks into the video editing room with a really crappy movie with him as a little dot talking to the camera.

exact words: "So, just edit it bigger. That's why I'm here."

Video editing is the same way.

Archived