Astros 2004 all star game logo

bluemonkey95

I don't think I've seen that yet. Yeah it's plain, but not bad in my opinion. That star should be bigger and yeah they should have incorporated some Houston or ballpark elements in there.

I saw, I came, I left.

PrGsibJ7.jpg

The Houston Astros staged a dramatic unveiling of the 2004 All-Star Game logo at Minute Maid Park Saturday, prior to their regionally-televised contest with the Chicago Cubs.

Members of the Houston Fire Department waved a big Texas flag that spanned across a large part of the infield. A contingent of Little leaguers paraded onto the field holding banners from all 30 Major League teams and waved miniature Texas flags while the Houston Lutheran Chorale sang a rousing rendition of "Deep in the Heart of Texas," followed by "Yellow Rose of Texas."

Club owner Drayton McLane said a few words to a capacity crowd before introducing the 2004 All-Star logo, which was unveiled above the left-center area, directly above the 1998 championship banner.

The logo design incorporates the Astros' primary colors of brick red, sand and black. The shape of the logo is patterned after a train shed, which is one of the unique design elements of the entry gates at Minute Maid Park. The MLB silhouetted batter is also featured, along with "Houston 2004."

"It's really a celebration of baseball, not Houston, but you want a Houston flavor to it. So it's kind of a mixture in that sense."

-- Astros president of business operations Pam Gardner

"The variations on the logo all have something to do with icons in the ballpark," Astros president of business operations Pam Gardner said. "It's really a celebration of baseball, not Houston, but you want a Houston flavor to it. So it's kind of a mixture in that sense."

The 2004 All-Star Game will mark the 75th anniversary of the Midsummer Classic and will be played on July 13 at Minute Maid Park. Next year marks the third time that the Astros and the city of Houston will host the game, as the Astrodome was the site for the 1968 and 1986 All-Star Games.

Next year's game will be unique, McLane said, mainly because the three-day event will be convenient from a logistics standpoint. All activities will take place within a five-block radius, including hotel accomodations for the thousands of people who will flock to the Bayou City for the All-Star bonanza.

"The fanfest will be at the George R. Brown (convention center)," McLane said, speaking of the downtown landmark that is blocks from the ballpark. "Hotels will be downtown and activities will all be in walking distance."

Bill Giles, chairman of the Philadelphia Phillies and honorary chairman of the National League, was in town to commemorate the unveiling. Giles is no stranger to Houston baseball -- he was one of the first employees of the Houston Colt .45s when the franchise began operation in 1960. Giles anchored the business operations of the new team, ran the mammoth scoreboard in the outfield and later became the team's public relations director in 1968.

"The All-Star Game in baseball is really the only All-Star Game that's very popular in the major sports," Giles said. "Over 100 million people will be watching not only the game, but Houston and Texas."

All-Star Week festivities bring a variety of events to the city of Houston. The John Hancock All-Star FanFest will run from July 9-13. All-Star Sunday includes the Futures Game and the Legends/Celebrity Softball Game on July 11, while All-Star Workout Day and the Home Run Derby will take place at Minute Maid Park on July 12.

it doesnt bring out the "whoa! thats awesome" out of me, but its good. nothing special, just good. it works

I agree with SHB.  Good but not, "woah that is awesome good".

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Archived