Hartford Hockey Concept

cyandlux

The antlers have taken on a mix of ram horn and elk antlers.

I know people who feel more comfortable in Illustrator, but to be honest, most people trying to illustrate straight into an illustration program without working things out on paper tend to create images that are stiff, lifeless and inaccurate.

Any good design school wont let you touch a computer before working on a number of thumbnails first and there is a reason for it.

If we can't help others through advice and critique we do them a disservice so I hope you don't take our comments wrong.

If you can't draw freehand, you really need to find yourself a photo that is the position you want and follow it to a "T". I also have some reservations about the coloring of the fur. Something about the placement of some of the lighter colors seems off when I think back to all of the photos of elk I have seen and painted myself. Check out Wheateater's photo in his post. THe hair is lighter only on the body, not the neck and head. Your lighter fur really should be relegated to highlights rather than what appears more like whitetail deer color patterns.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the first version better--if you cleaned it upp it could work--and I'd listen to Sterling on the Antlered animal front.

He designed the Manitoba Moose alt logo which has become the primary.

He also did a Caribou logo for me to use for Madden--and it looks great in the game.

He also had some good tips for my Pronghorns helmet for the TNFF here on the boards--I resisted some of his comments at first, but as I thought about and used the ideas he gave, I used an adaptation of his suggestions for the helmets...

(Although Sy did the logo)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I still don't quite get it.

You as much as said you put a face from one perspective on a head from another perspective. Unless you're going for a Picasso or maybe Escher thing.......this won't work...no matter how much the rest of it gets improved.

Know what I recommend? THis sounds lame but seriously. Take a digital camera to some hunting store or cheesy "outdoorsy" steak place. Find one with an elk head on the wall and shoot from every angle.....find the shot you want and get it high res.

YOu may get some weird looks but who cares. I've done it. They won't hold still at the zoo or let you get that close any other way....

THe rest of your skills are more than competent. Don't sell yourself short on the due diligence ok? The antlers look ridiculous and it's NOT because you aren't good. It's because you........

i used an elk with its head up for the antlers and replaced its head with one looking dead on

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I am not sterling or anyother of our Graphic Gurus - here's my attempt to fix the antlers. I cropped the bottom part off - flipped over and put it as if the antler were coming out towards you. Sorry, I dropped the Hartford for the sake of space.

H-ELK-2.jpg

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

That's good KC. Much closer to how it needs to be.

Only.........the antlers on an elk don't come forward like a deer. They go backward...nearly 2/3 the length of the body I would guess at maturity.

There are tines right at the base of the skull that come forward, but the rest of it heads away from the viewer.

Overlapping and forshortening to describe where they are in space (Like you've done) is the solution though.

Nice.

**EDIT, oh yeah. And those middle ones ...those aren't there either.

NO NO I got it now...I posted my thing, read someones comments on how I should listen to you, RE-read your posts and then like a light clicked on and I went OHHHHHHH - I got it last night but I went to sleep, I'll post the new one as soon as its ready. :D

Much BETTER!

But there is more to do. Hold on, I have to make this fast

1) Take a look at your elk's eyes. Now the photo. Deer eyes are on the side of the head to maximize view of predators. Your's are ala the Milwaukee Bucks and looking right at us like a person

2) Look at your elk's neck. Now the photo. In the back, their necks come to the base of the skull like yours and mine. Only our skulls are vertically oriented and theirs are horizontally oriented. Their massive necks should be seen rising up (and behind) their heads......in the photo it comes up nearly to the bull elk's eye level. On your logo, the right side of the neck appears to attach down by the jaw, like a person.

3) Mouth/Nose. A hiccup for many artists is depicting the muzzle of such similar creatures. Deer, Cows, Horses... None of them have as separate and distinct nose as we, the primates do. Yet, in renderings we tend to give animals our traits. Muzzles are like one big, fuzzy snout with nostril holes basically on the "upper lip" area. As is, you've got a nose...........then a mouth well below it. Need I add, like a person.

4) Now the antlers. THey are looking better for sure. But they do not join one another atop the head. RE: PHoto, there is definitely a blank spot between them atop the head. Also, the four center tines......those are two bifurcated (or split evenly) tines coming forward. The two curvy ones you've rendered go backward and all the other points stem from those curvy ones and head upward in a sort of basket formation.

So while I would NOT say you've "got it wrong"...think about how with some overlaps, highlights etc.........you can further relay that information and structure to the viewer.

It's really coming along. Thanks for the patience in dealing with the never-ending-critique.

I still advise you take some pictures or try to sculpt one out of wire and clay though. It's evident that whereever you get off track, it's cause you can't tell from these tiny photos what is going on.

Great revisions! Looking good now. It's just my opinion, but the elk in the tertiary looks a little bit incomplete. I think you should add a little bit more of the body for that part, but the secondary is much improved and the primary looks awesome.

Not to burst your bubble, because you've clearly worked hard on this and the improvements on your initial design are very nice, but I don't like the name Hartford Elks, and I don't think brown and black translate very well has hockey colors. Perhaps adding another prominent color would help your concept if you're really adament about this idea.

I don't like the name Hartford Elks

Oh, well, cant please everyone....Ive only got one mouth, two hands and one....well if you dont know where that was going then forget it. :P

Is Elk not the plural of Elk? Is it Elks?

There are several elks in the backward.

There are several elk in the backward.

Which is right?

:D Cyandlux - very nice scheme. I like the use of the 3 colors. Your coming along fine.

Remember, when you post ideas, take everyones criticism as a way of helping you develop your concept. Everyone wants to help, as others see things you might have missed when you are designing (in your own design think tank).

However, your coming along nicely with the concept. Keep up the great work!!! :D

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

You still need to look closely at how the actual antlers are constructed. You have a good start now but the part of the beam you have curling back with the 3 small tines coming off is not correct visually. Most everything on the antlers is very close except for those.

Remove them altogether and then compare to the latest photo you posted and you will see what I mean. It looks like when you get to that point of the antler you ignore your reference photo completely and go with what you think they look like. They are so close to being accurate now...keep working!

One more thing...don't shoot for complete symmetry on the 2 antlers. Nature doesn't create that way, make them similar but not exactly the same.

As the day goes on, this concept gets better and better...

Anyway, it is good to see a little more of the body depicted - it makes the tertiary looks a lot more complete, although it still seems a bit abrupt. You might consider also including your black circle here and then extend the body of the elk until it meets the circle. The the circle would "frame" the body and give a logical place for it to be trimmed off. The circle could enclose just the head and body, but leave the antlers poking out above for interest.

Anyway, this is your project so please, you be the judge. I don't want you to feel you have to use every suggestion to the point you won't feel the concept is your own anymore, so it is your call. The advice of Sterling and some of the others is more critical IMO as they are speaking of accuracy. We all need to strive for that :)

LT

Im working on the secondary, Im tired of the antlers....any suggestions?

Mine was leave one stick and put in a rifle, but then I was thinking that would be offensive....but we have that connection to COLT rifles.

Also I was thinking of putting the CT capital building above the H but it would look too much like the Caps secondary.

Archived