Tulsa Roughnecks NBDL Concept

Side37

Okay guys, here's my first concept for your comments and criticisms.

I developed this for an unsolicited submission to the NBDL for their new team in Tulsa Oklahoma. The team's identity is based on a common nickname for the oil workers that flocked to the town after the discovery of black gold in 1897.

Admittedly, I'm a traditionalist. Inspired by some of Ian Baker's posts, I started off with a complex wordmark and array of color ideas, but I just didn't like it as much as this simplified version. Not many teams in basketball have patch style logos anymore.

I chose the colors based solely on preference. Because of the city's oil ties, black was a given. I picked the light blue because the Tarheels and Panthers pull it off so nicely.

The logo was inspired by a statue erected in Texas to honor oil workers. In fact, the name of the statue is the Joe Roughneck Monument.

Roughneck-1.jpg

I initially created the shape on the shorts to render an old syle oil tower (Houston Oilers tribute) but when I added the struts, it started to look like laces. Not what I wanted, but I do like the silhouette look.

Q: What's with the alternate? Why is it all black with no trim or anything.

A: Because alternates are dumb but this one will make them look like they play for the Oklahoma state penitentiary - instead of an NBA prospect league.

Let me have it:

roughnecks.gif

i like this. but on the home jersey roughnecks is hard to read. maybe making the numbers smaller and roughnecks bigger. and i dont like that number font. looks like a nfl more than nba imo. i really like the logo except for the fact that hes smiling. maybe more stone faced [no pun intended] than smiling. reminds me of the jolly green giant. and i think that alt needs some color because i dont dig monochrome. overall nice job and with a coupla minor tweaks this will be really sweet

Impressive first concept. Welcome.

I think the logo work and particularly your limited palette are both very nice.

I'll echo that Roughnecks is too long a word to be on the front of the jersey. At least with that font. It'll virtually disappear from a distance.

Either implement a taller, slender font perhaps.........or make a more custom wordmark where maybe Rough is on top of Necks, or it's skewed getting smaller in the distance.

Something.

Again, very nice work. Good luck on the submittal.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Archived