Illustrator

mac

I'm interested in getting illustrator so I just have a few questions that some of you may be able to help me with.

How much does it cost? Are there ways i can get it without paying?

How much computer space does it take up?

Is it worth it?

What advantages does it have over similar programs?

if anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it, should this go in requests, oh well too late.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/

the cost can be prohibitive for some to buying the application, but i understand there are some great student discounts out there.

i'm sure there are ways to get it without buying it, but they would most likely be illegal.

here are the system requirements....looks like you'll need about a gig of free space:

Windows

* Intel® Pentium® III or 4 processor or equivalent

* Microsoft® Windows® 2000 with Service Pack 3 or 4, or Windows XP with Service Pack 1 or 2

* 256MB of RAM (512MB recommended)

* 820MB of available hard-disk space

* Color monitor with 16-bit video card

* 1,024x768 monitor resolution

* CD-ROM drive

* For Adobe PostScript® printers: PostScript Level 2 or PostScript 3?

* Internet or phone connection required for product activation

* Broadband Internet connection required for Adobe Stock Photos (The Adobe Stock Photos service may not be available in all countries, languages, and currencies and is subject to change. Use of the service is governed by the Adobe Stock Photos Terms of Service. For details, visit Adobe Stock Photos.)

Macintosh

* PowerPC® G4 or G5 processor

* Mac OS X v.10.2.8 through v.10.4 (10.3.4 through 10.4 recommended)

* 256MB of RAM (512MB recommended)

* 960MB of available hard-disk space

* Color monitor with 16-bit video card

* 1,024x768 monitor resolution

* CD-ROM drive

* For Adobe PostScript printers: PostScript Level 2 or PostScript 3

* Internet or phone connection required for product activation

* Broadband Internet connection required for Adobe Stock Photos (The Adobe Stock Photos service may not be available in all countries, languages, and currencies and is subject to change. Use of the service is governed by the Adobe Stock Photos Terms of Service. For details, visit Adobe Stock Photos.)

Is it worth it?

it's definitely worth it....consider Illustrator the platinum standard to all vector apps. no designer should be without it.

first off, it's pretty much the industry standard.

secondly, it's very user friendly (in my opinion).

also, it integrates very well with adobe's other design apps.

I'm currently saving a lil extra so that I can get the complete CS2 suite.

As far as obtaining it for little or no cost, maybe email Adobe and see if they have 10 or CS on clearance or check one of the educational software websites that offer discounts.

I'm interested in getting illustrator so I just have a few questions that some of you may be able to help me with.

Is it worth it?

if anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it, should this go in requests, oh well too late.

If you are enrolled at a university in a college of art or something, you may be entitles to a free download of many programs- including AI. I know my university does this.

Check both eBay and amazon.com. Often you can find a better price for Adobe Illustrator there. Sometimes you can even find the most recent version, but even if you can only get 9.0, it could be worth it.

You are right. At eBay you can get some old versions but still works greatly like 9, 10 or CS.

If you are running short of money, try eBay and buy version 10.

Ah, I gave a watch over eBay and found that link: Adobe Illustrator 11 CS Full windows version.

49.99 dollars and in 9 hours ends the auction.

There are alots of good price for Illustrator 9, 10 and CS.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

fortunately, my graphic arts teacher gave me a copy for me to keep of AI 10. I love it and I'm only a junior in HS

stars.jpg

dallasmavericks.gif

style1,JBPerry.png

<embed src="http://www.clocklink.com/clocks/5005-Blue.swf?TimeZone=CST&TimeFormat=hhmmssTT" width="180" height="60" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

joshuabperry@sbcglobal.net

My Webpage

If you are accepted to or attend an accredited university or know someone who is, efollet has the complete CS2 Premium Suite for $399, a far cry from the Adobe-quoted retail price of $1,199. I think though, you are still in high school, so you would probably have to fond a college student and order it through them, or else go with an older version from ebay.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Everyone always overlooks Macromedia Freehand and think Illustrator is what EVERY designer should use. I disagree. I have been exposed to both programs and each has pluses and minuses. I personally will have to have Freehand torn from my cold dead fingers before I give up using it.

Before committing to one program that can cost you hundreds, try to find free trials that you can download and sample. Macromedia has a 30 day free trial download. Dowload it and try it out.... give it the whole 30 days (same with Illustrator if they offer it as a free trial) It will take you that long and longer to get comfortable with either software program.

DO NOT go the "free" software route.. i.e. piracy.

#1 they may be laden with viruses and #2 it IS illegal unless through some agreement with an institution. Piracy is what helps drive up the cost of all software. and that hurts everyone here.

Everyone always overlooks Macromedia Freehand and think Illustrator is what EVERY designer should use. I disagree. I have been exposed to both programs and each has pluses and minuses. I personally will have to have Freehand torn from my cold dead fingers before I give up using it.

Before committing to one program that can cost you hundreds, try to find free trials that you can download and sample. Not sure if they are that easy to find but DO NOT go for the "free" copies you may find.

#1 they may be laden with viruses and #2 it IS illegal unless through some agreement with an institution. Piracy is what helps drive up the cost of all software. and that hurts everyone here.

actually, i think adobe will be doing the prying soon. they probably are gonna discontinue freehand and put features from that into illustrator.

Joshua,

I know. I thnk we all discussed this back when the announcement was made.

I see them taking the best of both worlds and merging them. My fear is they will jack up the price afterword and future versions will fall into the Microsoft arena of upgrades for the sake of upgrades.

Competition breeds better software and with Corel being the only "threat", which is truly not a threat, I am afraid of what the merged Illustrator / Freehand software will become.

Archived