Legalities involved.....

zoneranger

I'm a graphic artist working for a local newspaper. I've downloaded logos from this site and the SLE for use in local display ads. Can anyone tell me if there are any restrictions or legalities involved inthe use of these logos?

P.S. Can someone design me a sports logo FOR FREE? (Sorry, just kidding!) :D

cfg.jpg41QN7ATP9VL._AA280_.jpg

I'm not a laywer, nor do I play one on TV.

I would assume that you're using logos of the major sports teams.  If that's the case, you'd need the approval of the team and/or league in order to legally use the logo.  For instance, on the radio now you'll likely hear many contests giving away (for example) a new big screen TV in time to watch the Super Bowl on it.  Well, they're likely not saying "Super Bowl", because the promotion is not sponsored by (nor has it paid) the NFL.

If you're using the graphics created by members of this board, I would assume that the creator would love to have his work used, as long as proper credit were given.  Since I don't know if any of the designers here are professional, I don't know if some might require payment.

Again, just my own darned opinion.

It's where I sit.

I have nothing to add to this topic, I just think it's funny because I came to the board tonight intending to start a thread regarding the legalities of logo use only to find that it's already been started.

Here's a different scenario: I archive NHL Logos on my site.  I have no problem with eliminating that archive but I also use the team logos along with the team names in several places on my site to provide a more visually appealing way of identifying each team.  I also have tons of multimedia (some of which I created, some of which I didn't) featuring NHL players in NHL jerseys.  If the NHL were to come after my site, what could they force me to get rid of?  Also, since I'm not-for-profit (all advertising revenue goes toward server costs), can I ask for permission to use these things and would they grant it?

the main reason why I feel most high schools get away with using major college and pro logos is the fact that they indeed dont make any money off of them, and while some high schools do sell the logo merchendise with the doctored logo from a college or pro team on it, that profit usually goes back into the athletic program. Thats what I think anyways, because high schools have been doing this for years and no college or pro team as far as I know has complained about it.

As a fellow member of the media, I would go through proper channels rather than possibly violating copyright law by using logos off of this site or the SLE.  You will notice that these sites have disclaimers stating that these logos are for personal use only and that use of the logos for commerical purposes could lead to these sites being shut down.  By using their logos, you not only put yourself at risk for possible legal action but you imperil these sites.  Most professional leagues have media-only sites which have logos available for download.  Among these are nflmedia.com, nba.com/mediacentral, nhlmedia.com and pressbox.mlb.com.  You will be asked to register and supply your accreditation, after which they will send you a user name and password.

The disclaimer at the bottom of the SLE site reads "The logos found on this site are exclusively the property of the team or league which they are owned or distributed. Please use these logos for only personal use. Any non-personal use of these logos will result in the closure of this site. The Sports Logo Encyclopedia and its contributing artists ask you not to do bad things with these logos, or else the leagues will close us down. By downloading a file or files from this website, the user agrees to abide by this policy or will not be able to access the files. "

From a legal forum site - "the NFL and NFL Properties have not hesitated to seek injunctive and monetary relief against those who use famous NFL marks online without permission. See e.g., NFL v. Miller 99-CV 11846 (S.D.N.Y. June 2000); NFL v. Groover 00-CV-5757 (GEL) (S.D.N.Y. 2000); Collegiate Licensing CO. et.al v. Onsite Solutions Inc. 00 Civ 77 (S.D.N.Y. 2000)"

Also see:

http://www.nfl.com/help/terms

http://www.gotitans.com/fanatic82301.shtml]this article

...Thats what I think anyways, because high schools have been doing this for years and no college or pro team as far as I know has complained about it.

Not quite true.  The Tampa Bay Buccaneers went after Beloit College (WI) for using Bucco Bruce.  My understanding of it is that Beloit College may have been using Bucco Bruce before the Tampa Bay Buccaneers came into existence, but I do remember that Beloit College stood up to Tampa Bay and continue(d) to use the logo.

It's where I sit.

Archived