Maryland football concept

Spearhead

Though Maryland has an interesting color combination, I don't think they have ever been properly mixed. Since I prefer to accentuate the red and gold I came up with this idea for the Terps:

Maryland.gif

FsQiF2W.png

I like most of this concept.

Overall, it comes off with a decidedly retro feel, which is good and bad. It's trendy, but it also doesn't come off as major conference Division I-A. It comes off as too bland.

With fewer and fewer players actually wearing sleeves on their jerseys, the only real source of distinguishing marks (the sleeve striping) is going to be lost on your concept. Which leaves you with a plain colored jersey with no contrasting color at the neck, with unserifed Varsity Block numbers in one color without outline, drop shadowing or other effects. (BTW: the TV numbers are wrong on the white jersey - the front says "25", the shoulders say "52".)

The helmet logo doesn't do anything for me one way or the other, and I don't know that I would want the "M" back over the "Terps" script they use now. Working the present decal in with your color scheme would work well.

Maryland has a couple great design elements that aren't being used to their maximum here. The state flag - and source of your colors - is such a killer design that it should go somewhere. Sleeve stripe, pants logo, somewhere. And the number font they use for hoops (Aachen; I think they tried it on the football unis but dumped it when they went with Under Armor) is distinctive, and only used by 2 other schools (Missouri, Wisconsin), neither of which uses it for football.

I would also suggest a red pair of pants for the white jersey. Yellow helmets with yellow pants and white jerseys is going to be rough on the eyes.

With a few tweaks, you're going to have a killer set with this. Keep up the good work, and let this evolve. It could be really nice when you're done with it.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I like the idea, but I feel like it's too much yellow? I don't know I just think maybe with all the yellow it looks like you can thow a 45 yard touchdown and then serve fries with that.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Yeah, some of this could work. Agree that the yellow helmets and yellow pants would be a bit much. I'd like to see the helmets red.

I'm lovin' those pants, though. Ths stripe pattern looks spectacular on the yellow pants. Maybe to solve the problem VitaminD mentioned about the sleeve stripes would be to simplify them to something similar to what you have on the pants (say, black | white | yellow | white | black on the red jersey) and then let them come over the shoulder, a la Indianapolis Colts.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived