Tampa Bay Sandtigers

gordie_delini

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was wrong with the Gray Nurses?

Nice shark. With only two colors, though, the full logo just doesn't work for me. It's too plain. Even adding some white would help a lot. Say, make the letters white with tan highlighting. Something, anything, to make it a little less flat.

Alternately, I would love to see a touch of medium blue in this logo. It would work with the green to create a stronger "underwater" atmosphere. One can almost hear Jacques Cousteau: "Zee sleek an' deadly Gray Nurse shark, known to zee local population as zee tiger of zee sand and celebrated for its savage ferocity in song and sport, detects its prey by ..."

20082614447.png

What was wrong with the Gray Nurses?

Nice shark. With only two colors, though, the full logo just doesn't work for me. It's too plain. Even adding some white would help a lot. Say, make the letters white with tan highlighting. Something, anything, to make it a little less flat.

Alternately, I would love to see a touch of medium blue in this logo. It would work with the green to create a stronger "underwater" atmosphere. One can almost hear Jacques Cousteau: "Zee sleek an' deadly Gray Nurse shark, known to zee local population as zee tiger of zee sand and celebrated for its savage ferocity in song and sport, detects its prey by ..."

where would you add the medium blue? i get what you're saying, but i'm not quite sure where that would fit in. the request was for these two colors, so i did the concept in two colors. here's the full mark with white letters.

Tampa-Bay-Sandtigers-fullv2.gif

OD_Signature.jpg

gordie - a couple of nitpicky things - the forward pectoral fin bothers me...it seems a bit too rounded, even with the "notch" - maybe give it a more triangular shape - 2nd, and this may be more difficult to do, but sharks are counter-shaded with lighter bottom sides and darker top sides...i understand you're trying to imply light coming from above and the bottom portion being in the shadows, but it doesn't work here (for me)...maybe this is where you could incorporate a third (lighter) accent color and give the logo/wordmark a green outline? - 3rd, the snout/mouth area needs some work...not sure how to improve it, but the mouth is a bit undefined as it is - this might be difficult to do without adding significant detail (which would not correspond to the rest of the logo) so take this as the least critical of my suggestions - lastly, the tail seems a bit too thresher shark-like - maybe tone down the top tine of the tail a bit...

please don't take this as my being overly critical, because i think this has potential to be a GREAT LOGO with a few minor tweaks - i really like the wordmark and the "pose" that this shark is taking - that must have been REALLY difficult to render in that position and it's pretty unique - great work!

jldesigns404eo.png

gordie - a couple of nitpicky things - the forward pectoral fin bothers me...it seems a bit too rounded, even with the "notch" - maybe give it a more triangular shape - 2nd, and this may be more difficult to do, but sharks are counter-shaded with lighter bottom sides and darker top sides...i understand you're trying to imply light coming from above and the bottom portion being in the shadows, but it doesn't work here (for me)...maybe this is where you could incorporate a third (lighter) accent color and give the logo/wordmark a green outline? - 3rd, the snout/mouth area needs some work...not sure how to improve it, but the mouth is a bit undefined as it is - this might be difficult to do without adding significant detail (which would not correspond to the rest of the logo) so take this as the least critical of my suggestions - lastly, the tail seems a bit too thresher shark-like - maybe tone down the top tine of the tail a bit...

please don't take this as my being overly critical, because i think this has potential to be a GREAT LOGO with a few minor tweaks - i really like the wordmark and the "pose" that this shark is taking - that must have been REALLY difficult to render in that position and it's pretty unique - great work!

this sounds good to me

those are all excellent points - ones which i milled over myself for quite some time. i agree with you about the light/dark of the shark, and yes i was going for the light coming from the top direction, as if it was underwater, which is why the bottom is in green and hence, in shadow. maybe if anyone could think of how to help with that, i would greatly appreciate it, because as of now, im stumped for that.

i tried to stay true to the anatomy of the shark, and with the forward pectoral, there are darker tips on the ends of it, which is why it ended up being rounded in the design - but i do understand your suggestion for that, and that's an easy fix. again with the tail i tried to stay true to the anatomy of the shark and i used this drawing as a reference.

http://www.charterboats-uk.co.uk/Photograp..._Sand_Tiger.gif

it was difficult to represent that given the pose of the shark - which was a hand drawing scanned and then traced. and given the reference, i think it may have been too long - i'll try to tweak it.

i'll be posting an alternate logo soon, which is a buoy on a wave with a bite out of it - i'd really like some help with the waves, as i'm not too well off in rendering them. thanks for your feedback!

OD_Signature.jpg

REALLY good start man. Love the idea. I like the addition of white very much.

Only advice? The bend of his "torso" is a little severe. I'd like to see a little more flow. ALso, Nurse sharks are pretty docile but have wicked looking, overlapping, croc-style teeth. Lets get some of those bad boys in here.

I really like it though. Nice.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

ok here's the alternate ive come up with. like i said before, i'm really happy with the buoy part, but i know the waves need a lot of work. please help with those!

Tampa-Bay-SandTigers-Altern.gif

gordie...this logo is awesome, this whole set reminds me of my favorite minor league baseball team, the Clearwater Threshers, and believe me I like the resemblance.

ok here's the alternate ive come up with. like i said before, i'm really happy with the buoy part, but i know the waves need a lot of work. please help with those!

Tampa-Bay-SandTigers-Altern.gif

the bite on the light house doesn't look very bite-ish. The waves are good as is.

REALLY good start man. Love the idea. I like the addition of white very much.

Only advice? The bend of his "torso" is a little severe. I'd like to see a little more flow. ALso, Nurse sharks are pretty docile but have wicked looking, overlapping, croc-style teeth. Lets get some of those bad boys in here.

I really like it though. Nice.

as far as the bend is concerned, i tried to make it seem as tho we were viewing the shark from below - not sure if i accomplished that, but hence the bend.

i tried to do some of those teeth, i used many photos as references, but i couldnt make it work without losing the overall feel of the design.

suggestions for the alternate logo?

OD_Signature.jpg

Archived