Chargers Secondary Concept

cyandlux

It's awesome looking, but with the teeth it somewhat resembles a lightning bolt wild boar. Just add some tusks.

While we're at it, how about a handlebar moustache and an eyepatch?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

update:

This one has more of a mane bolt. Im not sure about the jaw bolt now. I need to change that somehow.

SDchargers3.jpg

^_^ this was the best of the series... following this, you definitely got carried away w/ overdoing it... ( I can relate) anyway, as it's been suggested, go back to your previous renditions... and perhaps tweak it from there if you're still not happy w/ it... one note, since the broncos have the horse logo (also white and depicted from the side w/ mane flying) , and they're in the same division, this would only fly as a secondary / merchandising piece.

Just to warn you, I'm going to rip this up pretty well. :P

This design lacks balance, depth, and motion. It's very static and flat. The huge expanses of white and gold space look like construction paper cutouts, and the thin blue outlines are too uniform, that is to say, this image has a sort of "coloring book" style. Adjusting these characteristics by adding deep, dramatic shadows on the face and more substantial, varied line weights is necessary to take this concept to the next level. Whew, and that's the lesser of the two evils here.

The big flaw I see in this is that it does not look like a horse, anatomically speaking. The neck is much too short and fat. It should be thinner and longer. Just under the jawline, where your neck plunges slightly leftward and downward with a convex curve is incorrect as well. The neck should plunge with a concave curve, slightly rightward and down. That would help in thinning it up a bit.

A horse's face is slender and sleek. The snout is larger around the mouth, then narrows a little, then widens out again at the jawline. The top has nostrils that stick out a little from the "bridge" of the snout. Your snout is too blunt, too square, and your horse has a rounded double chin under there, also convex where it should be concave.

A horse's ears pin back when running. If your horse is running, the neck should be scooted back a touch as horses stick their heads out a little more when running. If not, a horse's ears stick up a lot more, and they are leaf-shaped in most cases.

As stated before, this eye looks more feline than equine. A horse's eyes are similar to human eyes in that they have a white and an iris and round pupil in the center.

Overall, the idea is there, but the execution and the research and preparation is not. Make sure you do lots of research and preliminary sketches. I especially like the idea of using the lightning motif throughout the logo, but make it substantial! Make people know that its supposed to look like lightning! Why not try using the actual outline of the bolt for the mane? Experiment. Take artistic license. It shouldn't lok like a horse photo, but rather it should have your distinctive style. You'll learn by doing, and when you develop a better critical eye, you'll know when something looks "right."

You'll see many of my points illustrated perfectly in this, one of the best sets of horse logos in the sports world today, if not THE best. Notice how the strong shadows add depth to the figure, and how the substantial, varied lines add visual interest and balance. Also take not of the countless anatomical features I pointed out as they are depicted very well here.

ucdavis_prim_01.gifucdavis_sec_01.gif

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The Chargers logo with the teeth was almost perfect. I think the nose needs worked on a little more. The eye on the one with teeth was flawless. Keep it. Work on the eye and I think you'll have it made. I'll check back in to see if you work it out. Looks GREAT outside of the nose.

Bengalssuck.jpg

Make the mane look more like a lightning bolt, and no go on the jawline, doesn't look right, it doesnt go straight in like that on a horse.

Yah it does. Sorry. I did my homework on that exact instance. From the mouth to the curve it is 99% straight for a good little while.

This is a good effort, cyan. Not knocking your work, but here's my soapbox...

I hate sounding like a broken record, but I never, ever want to see a shield or horse logo on their uniforms.

I don't like the horse idea because one of our division rivals is the Broncos. Don't want to mimic someone in our division, and more importantly, a team Bolt-fans hate.

Same goes with a shield logo. Hate them Raiders. Don't want to look like them.

If we're going to use a horse and a shield, we might as well find a way to put an arrowhead into the design as well and be called the San Diego Rip-offs. ;)

While their colors have been modified over the years, the general look (bolts on helmets, pants, jerseys) has been consistent. It doesn't need a secondary on them. I know that we have used the horse-in-a-sield logo before, but I never cared for them either, and it hasn't seen alot of usage since the 70's.

I will conceed that the Chargers could go for a bulked up secondary logo for use on print and broadcast media; it should be something as simple as maybe putting the bolt in maybe a circle, or stylizing "SD" with a lightning look, or something like that.

Archived