This Website

andrewharrington

[RANT] Of course you've seen those websites that have a bunch of pre-made logos and sell them for very low prices so greedy suburban small business owners can gobble them up faster than they did SUVs in the late 1990s, or even so cheap-ass corporate execs can snatch them like they do the souls of their white-collar employees.

Usually they have a few good examples, and a slew of mediocre or poor logos. Now, what happens when you find a website chock full of pretty good designs that are extremely well-rendered and that keep up well with current trends? Well, you've found PixelLogo, and if things like this keep appearing en masse, small freelancers like myself have a bleak future. Damn.

I understand they probably hire people like myself, and they do do quality custom work, too, but still, damn. [/RANT]

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

They're not very good--people using these just want something cheap & quick and don't care how good it is.

If I ever need one for a company I have several options to look into.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

A company may buy one of those logos and try their hand at marketing their business themselves and flop too.

Any business that feels it OK to skimp on it's branding and doesn't "get it" from a marketing standpoint is destined to fail anyway.

A serious company will go to a serious designer. These sites have their niche but that is all they are.

edit to add: none of these logos, or at least a small number of them, will "tell the whole tale" of a company and it's people. These are rendered fine but no thought goes into how they apply to a company searching their site for a logo. A nice logo that says nothing about the company it represents is a failure in my opinion because your logo in essence is the customer's perception of your company.

There is some really good stuff on the pixellogo site. They're 100 times better than instalogo and plop like that. I see both pcgd's point and tempest's point as having a great deal of validity.

I'm just a hack, I started dabbling in this stuff in the last year and have no real background or training in design. So I offer no expertise, but you better believe this doesn't help matters much for most designers. Few small companies will pay market value for design work, so anything that enables that is harmful to the design community correct?

Honestly though, it won't matter much to PCGD and tempest really. Guys like you are extremely talented and won't need to waste your time with "clients" unwilling to pay for quality work.

Still, I'm sure it frustrates the hell out of so many people that it's worth discussing.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Honestly though, it won't matter much to PCGD and tempest really. Guys like you are extremely talented and won't need to waste your time with "clients" unwilling to pay for quality work.

not true at all.....we designers struggle all the time trying to get clients that are willing to pay for the work. the general populace doesn't see the intrinsic value in the role their identity, logo, look in general plays in getting them ahead in the game. either that, or they really just don't give a plop.

Honestly though, it won't matter much to PCGD and tempest really.  Guys like you are extremely talented and won't need to waste your time with "clients" unwilling to pay for quality work.

not true at all.....we designers struggle all the time trying to get clients that are willing to pay for the work. the general populace doesn't see the intrinsic value in the role their identity, logo, look in general plays in getting them ahead in the game. either that, or they really just don't give a plop.

Again, I'm just a hack, with no expertise whatsoever. You make a perfectly legit argument and I agree with you 100%. I guess my point was the top designers with significant clientele won't feel the ripples, but most of you/us/whomever are definitely hurt by these operations.

Sorry to add the unqualified $.02. Just wanted to back up tempest's original premise.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Honestly though, it won't matter much to PCGD and tempest really.  Guys like you are extremely talented and won't need to waste your time with "clients" unwilling to pay for quality work.

Again, I'm just a hack, with no expertise whatsoever. You make a perfectly legit argument and I agree with you 100%. I guess my point was the top designers with significant clientele won't feel the ripples, but most of you/us/whomever are definitely hurt by these operations.

Sorry to add the unqualified $.02. Just wanted to back up tempest's original premise.

your point was valid...just not for all excellent designers. you can be a great designer and never get anywhere in this business, because it's such a fickle marketplace.

you can be a great designer and never get anywhere in this business, because it's such a fickle marketplace.

well :censored:. sucks for people like me, GMS, and tempest then, doesn't it. We're all around the age of 18...i was hoping we could make big money out of this. Guess not?

But what about designers like Brad (Nitroseed)? His stuff's more than legit, his work is amazing. Is he making big bucks? Or at least could he be?

What about guys like Joe Bosack? And Jason and Casey from Plan B. Branding? I wanna know how they made it in this business. They are making crazy bank right?

you can be a great designer and never get anywhere in this business, because it's such a fickle marketplace.

well :censored:. sucks for people like me, GMS, and tempest then, doesn't it. We're all around the age of 18...i was hoping we could make big money out of this. Guess not?

But what about designers like Brad (Nitroseed)? His stuff's more than legit, his work is amazing. Is he making big bucks? Or at least could he be?

What about guys like Joe Bosack? And Jason and Casey from Plan B. Branding? I wanna know how they made it in this business. They are making crazy bank right?

if you are in it for the money, get the fluff out right now and become some sort of investor. this business is overrun by those 'in it for the money' as evidenced by sites like pixellogo and the like. if you are truly passionate about design, it will show through in your work and to your clients. they'll know you will go the extra mile to get them the absolute best identity you can.

guys like brad, joe bosack, dan simon and the like are the minority in this business. they seem to truly love what they do, and are able to make a living at it. i'll be trying my hand at 'doing it for myself' within the next year as i try to build up a local client base and hopefully word of mouth will spread. it'll start with a rebranding of my 'fiasco' moniker....yes, the name i've been using for ten years will be no longer associated with my design work. i'll be sure to post any updates i have.

ian, if you really want to know how bosack and simon made it in this biz, i suggest reading this articles i scanned to pdf from HOW Design mag. very insightful article.

"Get Your Game On"

Archived