'New' Yankee Logo

Nesi427

Sometimes the truth is aggravating . . . and funny. Too bad they can't show what $1,000,000,000.00 can't buy.

As an Orioles fan, I am glad to see the Curse of Mussina continue. He has won as many World Series rings (is that plural?) since he left as I have. The sad part is that the Orioles could have signed him in March 2000 for less than they offered him before he left, but Angelos can't make a decision until it is too late.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Could you imagine if the yankees had a billion dollar payroll? It would be the greatest combination of high paid athletes ever. Some completely overpaid, others somewhat deserving of the cash.

I think this year's team would've looked something like this, with trades and offseason moves:

C - Mike Piazza

1B - Todd Helton

2B - Alfonso Soriano

SS - Derek Jeter

3B - Alex Rodriguez

OF - Gary Sheffield

OF - Barry Bonds

OF - Carlos Beltran

DH - Jason Giambi

SP - Randy Johnson

SP - Pedro Martinez

SP - Roger Clemens

SP - Curt Schilling

SP - Tim Hudson

Closer - Mariano Rivera

That probably wouldn't go to a billion, so they'd need some major overpriced bench players. We're talking Sammy Sosa, Mo Vaughn, Rafael Palmeiro, etc.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Could you imagine if the yankees had a billion dollar payroll? It would be the greatest combination of high paid athletes ever. Some completely overpaid, others somewhat deserving of the cash.

I think this year's team would've looked something like this, with trades and offseason moves:

C - Mike Piazza

1B - Todd Helton

2B - Alfonso Soriano

SS - Derek Jeter

3B - Alex Rodriguez

OF - Gary Sheffield

OF - Barry Bonds

OF - Carlos Beltran

DH - Jason Giambi

SP - Randy Johnson

SP - Pedro Martinez

SP - Roger Clemens

SP - Curt Schilling

SP - Tim Hudson

Closer - Mariano Rivera

That probably wouldn't go to a billion, so they'd need some major overpriced bench players. We're talking Sammy Sosa, Mo Vaughn, Rafael Palmeiro, etc.

As a Yankee Fan, don't give George any ideas? It's him just throwing money at the team that has caused all of these problems. When he runs the team the team loses and underachieves. When the baseball people run it the team wins world championships. This decade is quickly becoming like the 80's again. THe only difference is that there are only 4 other teams in the division (And 1 of them being the Devil Rays) that with the wild card makes it easier to make the playoffs.

As an Orioles fan, I am glad to see the Curse of Mussina continue. He has won as many World Series rings (is that plural?) since he left as I have.

He won as many World Series rings as you did when he was an Oriole too...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

C - Mike Piazza

1B - Todd Helton

2B - Alfonso Soriano

SS - Derek Jeter

3B - Alex Rodriguez

OF - Gary Sheffield

OF - Barry Bonds

OF - Carlos Beltran

DH - Jason Giambi

SP - Randy Johnson

SP - Pedro Martinez

SP - Roger Clemens

SP - Curt Schilling

SP - Tim Hudson

Closer - Mariano Rivera

I wouldn't be surprised...

C - Mike Piazza

1B - Todd Helton

2B - Alfonso Soriano

SS - Derek Jeter

3B - Alex Rodriguez

OF - Gary Sheffield

OF - Barry Bonds

OF - Carlos Beltran

DH - Jason Giambi

It would be just like Steinbrenner to spend $1 billion and still have Jeter starting at shortstop. (Not to mention Piazza at catcher instead of DH. You know the New York papers would spend the winter talking up Piazza's defense just like they do Jeter's.)

Also, there is no way Steinbrenner puts together a $1 billion team without Griffey in the outfield (and probably Raffy at first, since he used to really seem like the kind of classy guy the Boss would sign for way too much money and way too many years so he would retire as a Yankee).

20082614447.png

People act like the Yankees weren't any good but once again they won their division.

In baseball, the postseason is pretty much random.

"Barely" won is more like it. Only won the division because of a tiebreaker. :cursing:

Far cry from last season, when the Yanks won the AL East by three (I think) games.

And if you have a $208M payroll, you'd better do more than tie for the AL East title and get dumped in the first round of the playoffs.

To think the Yanks could've done the same thing for about $80M less. Then they'd be the Red Sox. :P

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Archived