Finding a use for the cancelled SB logo

The_Admiral

Tagliabue wants them in Los Angeles. We'll see who wins.

no, tagliabue wants anyone BUT the saints to move to LA. the nfl owners are pressuring benson into staying in new orleans, seeing as it would bad PR-wise if the saints just left after the hurricane. the most likely team to move to LA would be the chargers.

Well the other 31 teams don't exactly have a situation conducive to relocation, now do they? The Colts have a new field in the works, and a Vikings departure would cause mass rioting. As for PR, it'd have been bad if they officially left for this year, but come on. They can't go back. Resilient as our country may be, do you actually think it's economically viable for them to keep bouncing between Baton Rouge and San Antonio for a second year, or even try to come back to the dome?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They can't go back. Resilient as our country may be, do you actually think it's economically viable for them to keep bouncing between Baton Rouge and San Antonio for a second year, or even try to come back to the dome?

i understand, and if i owned the saints i would want to move as well. the superdome is unusable, and i heard that a new stadium wouldn't be ready until 2009. however the nfl is all about PR, and if keeping bouncing the saints between LSU and san antonio will get them good PR they will do it.

as for who else would go to LA, chances are it would be the chargers. the san diego city council is a mess, and they are steadfast in denying the chargers a new stadium deal. chances are that at the first oppertunity the chargers will be either in LA or anahiem. however that dosn't mean another team won't be there. tagliabue is on record saying that he wants two teams in LA. that other team just won't be the saints, because the nfl PR machine is determined to keep them the new orleans saints.

I have to imagine that three 2005 home games notwithstanding, San Antonio is Cowboys territory. Also, it's not very big.

the nfl is all about PR, and if keeping bouncing the saints between LSU and san antonio will get them good PR they will do it.

Even PR has its limits. It's really not fair to players, personnel, season ticket holders, the Alamodome, LSU, San Antonio, Baton Rouge, or anyone to keep barnstorming until New Orleans is fully repopulated, economically viable, and has a new stadium. Long-term barnstorming doesn't look good. It looks like Montreal Expos Part II. 2005 will have been their feel-good lame duck season, keeping up appearances in terms of being there for the Gulf Coast. I mean, lest we forget, New Orleans had been in a precarious position even before the hurricanes, in terms of retaining the Saints. Their days were numbered in July. It's cold, but we have to realize that New Orleans can't be a major league sports town any longer.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Benson wants to go to San Antonio, Tagliabue wants them in Los Angeles. We'll see who wins.

Yea I'd put 'em in L.A. they need a football team.

To quote my dad: "LA ran off two good teams, they don't deserve another!" :D

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

WHY...oh why can't Oregon have a real sports franchise (Jail Blazers dont count)

We almost did - the Pittsburgh Penguins went bankrupt before the '97 (i believe) season and were all set to move to Portland. BUT then stupid Mario Lemieux (not really stupid, I'm just bitter that we didn't get an NHL team) bought the team, saved them from financial ruin (for a while) and kept them in Pittsburgh

OD_Signature.jpg

Benson wants to go to San Antonio, Tagliabue wants them in Los Angeles. We'll see who wins.

Yea I'd put 'em in L.A. they need a football team.

To quote my dad: "LA ran off two good teams, they don't deserve another!" :D

Yea, the Rams and Raiders, they did have the Chargers, but only for a year.

stlouisrams.jpg

WHY...oh why can't Oregon have a real sports franchise (Jail Blazers dont count)

Well, especially for football, it may be because Oregon and Oregon State have a handle on most of the football fan base in Oregon. Those are two pretty successful programs in a mid-range population state that is all but devoid of professional sports. I speculate that a professional football team would never succeed due to the mass attention drawn by the Ducks and Beavers football programs. Though I could be entirely off, since I am not very familiar with the scene out there. If this was the case, it would be very similar to the situation in Columbus, where no professional sports team will ever succeed because of the immense popularity of Ohio State athletics among the general population in central Ohio.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

yeah, the football market is cornered by OSU and UO in oregon. However, Portland is at least an hour and a half from both Corvallis and Eugene, so it has more of a market for football. Portland though is really crazy for hockey and soccer - the markets that really thrive there. Winterhawks and Timbers games are regularly crowded, so an NHL or MLS franchise would do really well. Football and Baseball (not to mention basketball <_< ) not so much.

OD_Signature.jpg

U of O and OSU thrive in the football market so much because thats our only choose.

I wouldn't mind a baseball or football team myself.

The leagues would probably make a lot of money too.

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

Archived