JQK

Don't forget. Don't ever forget.

This is my own selfish rememberance of the crap that happend two years ago.. so.... pardon me...

I woke up just about 8am. I was still pissed about the night before. The Giants lost the season opener on Monday Night Football to the Denver Broncos. It was the first game at the Broncos new stadium, and the Giants kept it close for most of the game, but Denver pulled away at the end. So i was up... went, got myself a nice bowl of cheerios, and hopped on the computer, and was talking to a few people online, and was surfing my sports sites, reading about the Giants and other things. The computer was in the living room, and my mom was there, watching all of her morning shows, Today, Fox and Friends, and Imus (gotta love Imus).

Now it's about 8:45am. I'm still on the computer, my mom, still flipping around the dial at the different morning shows. For some reason she stops on "Good Day NY" on channel 5. She never watched that, but she just happend to stop on it that day. Not less than a minute later, FOX5 had a breaking news bulletin. They went to Chopper5 and it was showing us the World Trade Center... with one of the towers.. the one with the antenna, the north tower, having a huge, gaping, smoking hole in it. I ran to my bedroom window, which had a great view of New York Harbor and the lower Manhatten skyline. My mother's first though was terrorists. I was less suspecting. It didn't seem possible. Most likely, it was some sort of accident, or hell, maybe even a asteroid or metor hit it. It was far fetched, but when you see something like that, the most far-fetched things don't seem so far fetched. So we continued watching it. I woke up my sister Charissa, and she was as confused as anyone would be. But my mother wasn't. She was convinced it was terrorists. Then came the 9:00 hour. We heard a low-flying jet, which in Bayonne wasn't that odd of an occerence, and honestly, we payed no nevermind. It didn't even click until we saw the next few pictures on tv. A 747 jumbo jet slammed into the south tower. Just a huge impact and fireball. My reaction was.. just.. a short, but loud, yelp.. followed by a few "Oh My God's". Because at that moment i realized what my mother had known all along. This was an attack. A deliberate and well planned attack on the United States. Everything fell apart then. What's next? Is this only the opening act? Is there more? A slight panic comes over me and my sister and mother for a while, but we eventually calm down and start trying to contact people that we knew that worked there and were around there. I called my friend Steve, who was going to be in lower Manhatten that morning with his girlfriend and other friend going to a few different comic and model places. To get there he was going to use the PATH train to the WTC stop, one that i've taken more than i can even imagin. Fourtunatly, he had decided to go that afternoon instead, so he was ok. Then came the news about the Pentagon. What the hell is going on? Why is this happening? Being pissed about the Giants-Broncos game seemed so far away....

Then the anger starts rising. I can proudly say to this day that the anger that rose that day has never subsided in me, and i never plan to let it. These mo' fo's, whoever they were, attacked us? The United States? They have brought war on us? Do they know? huh? Do they flippin' know that we will rain down holy hell, fire, and brimstone upon their sorry arab asses? Because once we knew it was terrorists, we knew it was Arabs. And it may not be politically correct, but it's the truth. I just don't think a bunch of IRA members would do that crap, or Hippy enviro-terrorists. Something on this scale was done by one of the Arab terror groups. Jihad, Hamas, Hezbollah. I honesty can say that at this time i was unaware of al Qaeda. but i didn't really care. I wanted to join the Army, call up the dangin' troops, and let's frickin' go. It was time to frickin' teach the world once again who the flippin' boss was, because it seems a few people had forgotten. At about 9:30 i went to go see Steve.... he was ok, but he was equally shook up and furious. We went to this small pedestrian bridge near his house that had a good view of NYC and just watched, Thats when we say them come down. I couldn't believe it. I....... i will never forget the feelings i had inside at that moment. Those feelings will always, ALWAYS be there. We watched in just... silence.. i never heard such silece from me or him. People around us were screaming and crying, and.. i just.... all i could do was look.

The one thing that will always be in my mind was how beautiful that day was. It was the first really great beautiful day, a nice, cool 70 degree day, a slight breeze, sunshine.. it was.... such a beautiful day....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Man can I ever remember it.

Second day of college, just finished my first Videography class, finished at 11:05AM (Atlantic Standard Time). Met my friend Pat in the hallway, went down to the cafeteria and sat down at a table about ten feet from the entrance to the campus bar. Pat and I put out our lunches and are set to eat when someone steps out a says "Hey Pat, you gotta see this!" and so Pat goes into the bar. I just sit there eating my lunch. A minute later, Pat comes out and grabs his lunch and says "Oh man! I'll be right back! The World Trade Centre blew up!" Confused, I grabbed both mine and Pat's lunches and went into the bar, which was already half full. So I walked in just in time to see the second tower fall live. The very first thing that popped in my head at the sight of that was the date was 9/11, synonymous with emergency rescue. I sat down and watched CBC Newsworld repeatedly showing the images of the builings hit and falling. Every time they showed it, each and every times for the dozens of times they showed it, someone in the bar would gasp out a "Whoa!" My friend's Joe and Neal walked in and sat down with their meals and we all speculated almost jokingly that the world was going to end later that day or World War III would officially begin. By 1:30PM we all went off to our afternoon classes, which had all been cut short. So we were all back in the cafeteria by 2PM, the place filled to capacity except for one table at the back of the pack. The one thing I remember most was that someone left a big full box of Timbits on the table where we sat, so Joe and I helped ourselves to eventually more than half the box. Funny how these odd things are remembered more clearly. Went home, watched CNN, went back to campus that evening for a mandatory freshman frosh week meeting which eventually led to a stand-up routine by comedian Bob Keil (sp?), famous for his "Canadian-astronaut-opens-bottle-of-beer-to-the-theme-song-from-2001" routine...funny stuff to keep you pre-occupied from an otherwise unfunny day.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Here are a few random thoughts:

Wow, that's really deep. I was in class when a professor broke the news to us and he just about cried. And he was Arab as well. I didn't see footage of the towers collapsing until I went into a electronics store at around noon. I was in shock, as well as many people were.

But we should understand that the US is the only superpower in the world, and as such there are, and will always be people that will hate the US.

Instead of putting flags on our cars, we should find ways to reduce our dependency on oil like hybrid cars or wind and solar energy.

As much as I sympathise with the Americans on this day, I can't but imagine other tragedies going on in the world today like the ongoing famine and wars in Africa, South America etc. These people have much less than we do and walk in fear every day.

Remember, let's think with out brains and not our hearts!

I saw, I came, I left.

quadival, i understand you ment well with your post, and you bring up some great points that i hope to debate with you someday.

But i don't think today is the time to try and push a liberal agenda.

sB9ijEj.png

quadival, i understand you ment well with your post, and you bring up some great points that i hope to debate with you someday.

But i don't think today is the time to try and push a liberal agenda.

I agree, JOK! But, if you're going to debate with someone, I suggest you debate with Brian in Boston :D Say, where has he been lately?

I saw, I came, I left.

Two years ago, I was in New York during the terrorists attack on the World Trade Center. We were planning to relocate to a different hotel just five blocks north of the World Trade Center that morning and then visit the observation deck around lunchtime to photograph the skyline in the daylight, having done the same from the Empire State Building at night two days earlier. Needless to say, had the attacks happened even an hour later, our lives would have been very different that day.

I was able to take some pictures over the course of the next couple of days that I would like to share with you.

The first picture was taken at the Church of St. John the Divine on Sept. 12th. We wandered in, not knowing there was a New York Fire Department Memorial in the church, and came across this woman mourning the loss of so many men lost the day before.

The remaining four of the pictures were taken on the evening of Sept. 13th at Union Square on 14th street. The city was closed off below 14th street so this was as close as you could get to ground zero at that time and therefore a natural place for people to congregate.

fdny.jpg

vigil.jpg

windows.jpg

lightpost.jpg

family-232.jpg

I hope you like them and take a moment to remember the people lost that day and the stories of brave people who and their acts of heroism and how we all pulled together at that time.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I was starting my first year of graduate school when it happened. My brother woke me up and told me that a commercial jet just flew into one of the WTC towers, and I thought nothing of it until I turned on the television and saw the second plane crash into the other tower.

Our classes went on as scheduled that day, and my design studio was supposed to make a site visit to Madison, but the site visit was shifted to a week later due to the obvious safety issues. Since I was in architecture school at the time, we obviously had a unique perspective on the whole situation, and the topic of 9/11 came up constantly in my architectural studios and urban planning classes in terms of how it's going to effect the way buildings are designed in the future. One of my classmates even said in jest "So, should we start getting our competition entry ready?" (for the design of the new WTC).

Anyways, I'm sure I speak for everyone else here when I say that our prayers and hearts go out to the victims' families and the memory of those who died that day...

QPR%20Sig.png

my parents tell me they will always remember the moment when JFK was assiasinated, how they had to leave school early and the whole country was upset, well this is something historical i will always remember

i was in 8th grade at the time, and walking into homeroom when CNN was on, at the time us immature middle school kids didnt really make much of it, we thought it would be old news the next day

but it was when we saw the second plane strike it live that we began to think, holy plop this is a big deal

i will just always remember walking into mr duchis room and seeing CNN show the smoking towers...

signature.gif

I have vivid memories of this two. Being from the New York metro area everone knows someone who was there. but anyway here's my story.

It was my 4th day of high school (freshmen year), I was in 3rd period when it happened (yes, 3rd period my school then started at 7:30, now it starts at 7:15). I didn't know it then but we were studing dynatsy cycle in world history. The next period someone who had a study told us what happened, as far as he knew. All he knew was that a plane crashed. the my Algebra teaher said for everyone to stop talking so he could hear what happen because this is haw wars get started. In between 4th and 5th periond we all heard what we thaght was rumor that the towers fell. In 5th period now about 10:30 our teacher confirmed that it was true. The next period I had lunch and in the luch area they had tv's set up. About little more than 300 people standing around watching them. Thats when I saw the video of the Secind plane crashing into the tower. It was horrifing (sp?). That day was crazy every calling making sure that people were okay. I'll never forget it.

Might as well add my story....

[i was in 6th grade at the time...]

It was 4th period, which was about 10:15 in my school and we got this announcement that said that the president declared a state of emergency, or something like that. Being 6th graders we didnt listen and continued talking. Through rumors we found out what happened. [There were also rumors that the White House was hit, the Sears Tower was hit, LAX was hit, and a bomb went off in Grand Central Station, all false though] The school never told us what happened, but asked for anyone who had parents working in Manhattan to come with them to the auditorium. So I went and they told us what happened and I try to remember my dad's schedule and it was all Midtown stuff. They want us all the call home anyone so I call my house, get my mom on the phone and she says my dad just called, but was suppose to be in the WTC that day, but had to cancel because the person he was meeting couldnt be there. All I remember from after calling is thinking "Wow I was having such a great time yesterday wtaching the Giants/Broncos game, and now this".

Here are a few random thoughts:

Wow, that's really deep. I was in class when a professor broke the news to us and he just about cried. And he was Arab as well. I didn't see footage of the towers collapsing until I went into a electronics store at around noon. I was in shock, as well as many people were.

But we should understand that the US is the only superpower in the world, and as such there are, and will always be people that will hate the US.

Instead of putting flags on our cars, we should find ways to reduce our dependency on oil like hybrid cars or wind and solar energy.

As much as I sympathise with the Americans on this day, I can't but imagine other tragedies going on in the world today like the ongoing famine and wars in Africa, South America etc. These people have much less than we do and walk in fear every day.

Remember, let's think with out brains and not our hearts!

Speaking as a Brit can i just say that every American should be forced to read this post! You may not agree with it but it contains so much common sense within it! No American in public life has realy asked those sorts of questions. Why us? what can we do to persuade others that there view of America is wrong? What can we do to change what other people dislike about us?

That may not be very well timed but it needs saying!

And to anyone who lost anyone in 9/11 my thoughts are with you!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Yes, i will forever remember September 11, 1973 the day that a U.S. Sponsored Coup (nixon) in Chile lead to the death of president Salvador Allende and at least 5,000 Chileans.

oh, there's more. there's much more. september 11 (2001) is nothing compared to what you are about to read:

http://www.medialens.org/articles_2002/rj_rm_4th_July.html

with that being said (and hopefully read) i must say that i am sorry anyone had to witness 9/11 in person. i'll agree only with that it was most spectacular.

jqk, while i understand your frustration and horror i also believe that, like you, many americans share a similar ideal of false-arrogance, ignorance and american pride. i really don't understand why. there are reasons why 9/11 happened. now that your government has you under a tight saran wrapped "kingdom of fear" (thank you mr. thomspon) they expect you to watch tv, consume your mcdonalds, shut up and not to ask questions whilst Geroge W (only under 20% of those who voted actually voted for him) illegally runs the show.

you should be frustrated not because the planes slammed in, but because there was a reason for it to happen.

Vancouver 2010 Two Man Luge Gold Medalist.

http://www.geocities.com/oilfaninvan

Yes, i will forever remember September 11, 1973 the day that a U.S. Sponsored Coup (nixon) in Chile lead to the death of president Salvador Allende and at least 5,000 Chileans.

oh, there's more. there's much more. september 11 (2001) is nothing compared to what you are about to read:

with that being said (and hopefully read) i must say that i am sorry anyone had to witness 9/11 in person. i'll agree only with that it was most spectacular.

ONLY SPECTACULAR, YOUR KIDDING RIGHT!!!!!!!! Not knowing whether your parents are alive or dead, is only spectacular. that's what happened where I lived. 4 families lost parents where I live. That's spectacular?

And by the way if I recall, I think more people died in the Towers then in what you mentioned. Killed by people who were mad at the US for no good reason.

Bush is not running this illeagaly. And he's doing a good job. And the only way the US government could have caused this is by Clinton not getting Bin Laden when they had the chance. Other than that there's no good reason why they would do that. What did the US do to Saudi Arabia and any other Arab countries. But what does a Canadien know about American politics.

And that's not supposed to offend any canadiens on this board, I'm American and know nothing about Canadien politcs.

jqk, while i understand your frustration and horror i also believe that, like you, many americans share a similar ideal of false-arrogance, ignorance and american pride. i really don't understand why. there are reasons why 9/11 happened. now that your government has you under a tight saran wrapped "kingdom of fear" (thank you mr. thomspon) they expect you to watch tv, consume your mcdonalds, shut up and not to ask questions whilst Geroge W (only under 20% of those who voted actually voted for him) illegally runs the show.

you should be frustrated not because the planes slammed in, but because there was a reason for it to happen.

You are a son of a bitch.

There was no reason to attack us, only because we support Israel and and we are the biggest dog on the block. The world will always hate us, no matter what we do, and we can't bend over and kiss the ass of the world and ask them to pretty please be our friends. If they don't like us, that's fine, but theyshould Respect and Fear us. and under Clinton, they didn't. we were a joke an weak. 2001 is a direct result of that appearnce of weakness and the oppourtunity to attack.

Your a canadian, and a liberal.. so i really am trying not to take what you are saying to heart. But if you ever saidthat to my face i swear to the almighty that i wouldn't have a hard time not cracking your skull with my fist. You are a very disrespectful man.

I..... i ....... i don't even know what to say......

sB9ijEj.png

If they don't like us, that's fine, but theyshould Respect and Fear us. and under Clinton, they didn't. we were a joke an weak. 2001 is a direct result of that appearnce of weakness and the oppourtunity to attack.

*shakes head in fear and worry*

Is that what Americans really believe? If we are big and butch and scare the hell out of people we will be safe. Bill Hicks was right, America really is 'the bully of the world.'

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

But what does a Canadien know about American politics.

And that's not supposed to offend any canadiens on this board, I'm American and know nothing about Canadien politcs.

On average, quite a lot. We get U.S. networks on basic cable here, and CNN is one of the most common cable options. When the towers were hit, that night (and for several nights following) my whole family was glued to CNN, watching developments as they unfolded, and breaking only to catch The National on CBC to get the Canadian angle. I'm guessing there's not many Americans out there who watch CBC Newsworld or any of the Canadian networks. Believe me when I say the average informed Canadian knows almost as much about American politics and general goings-on as the average American. It might not affect us in the same way, but we know.

We lost people in the towers and we lost people in the planes. As nations we don't always see eye-to-eye on issues, but believe me, when it comes to the tragedies of 9-11, we share in your grief.

God bless,

PW

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I think what JQK was saying was mind own buisness. No other country chould tell us what to do. And a little fear is good to keep you safe. Your less likely to mess with someone you you know will kick your ass.

JQK I agree with everything you say.

God forbid America should ever use its power for good!!!!!!

(Sorry I promise thats my last word on the subject!)

As a sideline to all of it, I find it sad that what for many people was a personal tragedy, affecting there lives in ways I can't possibly imagine, has been turned into such a political football, by many politicians in America, from both sides of the political spectrum.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

no i'm actually NOT kidding. I am very VERY sorry to hear that families, or people you may have known lost lives, THAT is not spectacular. the visual imagery of 9/11 was the spectacular thing. 30,000 people starve to death every single day and no one sees it because it's not action packed. there's no huge explosion to keep people's interests.

you said [And by the way if I recall, I think more people died in the Towers then in what you mentioned. Killed by people who were mad at the US for no good reason].   This is exactly proving my point. arrogance, ignorance and the better-than-thou mentality that ensures that i stitch a canadian patch on my backpack when i travel the globe so that people will treat me nicer knowing i'm not from the U.S.

3,000 people died on september 11. and thank god no more. at first they suspected 50,000 to be in the buildings. "in what i mentioned" happens to be 1) half a million children in Iraq have died due to heavy American sanctions 2) the US shooting down an iranian Airliner in 1988 killing 290 3) the Vietnam war killing as many as 1.1 million civilians, not to mention the 100,000+ american soldiers. (in total, on both sides it is widely agreed that the number of casualties is 2.5million) 4)afghanistan - close to 4,000 people have been killed so far but the american news does not want to tell that info so not many people have an accurate account except for the other party invited "help"- the canadians.

"Don't try to build your happiness on the unhappiness of others. You will be enmeshed in a net of hatred." - Buddha

Vancouver 2010 Two Man Luge Gold Medalist.

http://www.geocities.com/oilfaninvan

Is that what Americans really believe? If we are big and butch and scare the hell out of people we will be safe. Bill Hicks was right, America really is 'the bully of the world.'

Better to be the Bully than the nerd.

9.11 was little cowards thinkingthey would bring down America, because they would keep on attacking and soon we would "be not a nation of United States, but seperate states" They thought that they would have some Cruise missles thrown at them and they would be scot free, just likethe Clinton years and what happened withthe Africa embassies and the USS Cole. However, they got a rain of hellfire and brimstone upon their asses, and i think that they are substantially weaker now as a terrorist organization then they were on 9.11.

You seem to think that fear is a bad thing, but when you have everyone in the world hating you, it can be the only tool you have to prevent wars before they begin.

Leave it to the liberals to take a simple memorial thread and turn it into a pulpit for their stupidity...

sB9ijEj.png

Archived