UPS Sans Font Family

thinkkre8tiv

He can anyone help me out. I have a client that is requesting the UPS fonts for his logo and will not take anything else. The guy makes me print out the character map of the closest ones I can find and compares to his various UPS packages. Can someone help me out here and tell me where I can buy this. I tried to tell him that this may be a custom font that FutureBrand created when they did the new logo, but stubborn clients think that they are always right.

Thanks.

think

That is the one that we bought for him and he did not agree that it was the same. We have spent over $1600 on fonts for this damn logo. I am tired of searching. Does anyone have this UPS family?? Just a shot in the dark at this point.

It may be time to cut your loses. Perhaps something you can say to him though is, this font is called "Dax Condensed" which is the EXACT font the ups logo was based on. You can believe me you can't, but as you can see when I lay them over the top of one another, they are the same. So either take my word for it cause this is what I do for a living, or go to that high school kid down the street who will charge you 200 bucks for the logo made of clip art and parts of stolen logos.

There is no way that guy is going to be willing to pay $1600 in fonts.

Clients are Assclowns. I feel for you.

This client has paid for the $1600 total as of yesterday. That is the kicker. He dont care. I have done the overlay with both fonts for him, still not satisfied. I think this is the one that finally makes me go nuts! LOL :cursing:

This client has paid for the $1600 total as of yesterday. That is the kicker. He dont care. I have done the overlay with both fonts for him, still not satisfied. I think this is the one that finally makes me go nuts! LOL :cursing:

Well then.

A crappy client that pays on time and the full amount??

That certainly is a quagmire.

I have an unethical solution, but one that may appease your client.

Lie.

If you are proficient in Fontographer or FontLab, open up one of the versions of Dax, then re-export the font with the name "UPS Sans" or whatever. This way, if the client sees you working on it, he will see that the font is the same one used by UPS.

When it comes time to printing out the files, you could switch back to Dax.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I have an unethical solution, but one that may appease your client.

Lie.

:D Nice one!

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

We all know this, but perhaps he needs to be shown:

The UPS logo was designed in 1961 by Paul Rand and modified in 2003 by FutureBrand.

The colours are brown (UPS 0607298) and gold (Pantone 123). In addition, UPS makes use of 31 other colours.

UPS uses its proprietary typeface UPS Sans, which is based on Dax.

(http://users.ncrvnet.nl/mstol/ups.htm)

Perhaps the nice folks at FutureBrand might be able to convince him.

Is there any reason to assume that Futurebrand ever actually modified more than just the U, P, and S characters? I don't deal with UPS, so wouldn't know how much they change, but surely you can just modify the U, P and S.

On an ethics front, though, if it's completely custom, the font is almost certainly trademarked for use only by UPS. I would assume that the copyright was signed over to the company from Futurebrand, and unless UPS themselves want to sell it, it's not permitted to be copied.

I'm not entirely au fait with the law in this regard, but it seems as though it's pretty clear-cut. In that case, you tell the client that Dax is the best you can do, and beyond that, you'd be breaking the law by copying the font.

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

Foundries do custom jobs all the time -- it ain't cheap, but big clients like UPS can afford it. Their Website isn't forthcoming, but I'd be willing to bet FSI were the ones who modified Dax at the behest of FutureBrand, or at least worked closely with them.

Sometimes the face remains exclusive for a number of years, at which point it's released for public consumption. Not that thinkkre8tiv's client seems to be willing to wait that long.... ;)

• 1 month later...

Cleint paid for the entire volume of Dax and we designed his logo. Finally client was happy with his finished design and paid in full. What a fun job this one was. I recommeded him to friends for his next nightmare.

LOL

Archived