Nfl overtime ?

jkrdevil

With the Giants scoring on the 1st possesion in ot How does everyone feel about the NFL overtime rule?

Me I have 0 problem with it, DEFENSE is part of the game, STOP them. I hate all this complaining about how sometimes both teams don't get the ball it's the NFL, you D should be able to stop the opponet.

I think NFL overtime is just fine.

You have to play defense too. If you never get to touch the ball in OT, don't blame the system or the coin toss, take a look at your defense.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

i like it better than college. the only good thing about college version is no ties.

the only bad thing about NFL is that it basically comes down to a coin toss

How does it come down to a cain toss?

The Defense always has the option of STOPPING THE OTHER TEAMS FU*KING OFFENSE!!!!!!!!

i hate that... it dosn't come down to a coin toss, it comes down the the defense to stop the opposing offense. if they can't, they deserve to lose...

sB9ijEj.png

Sorry guys, but I have to disagree here.  I think both teams at least ought to have one possession in overtime.  I'm also not of the mindset that each team should have one possession, then it becomes sudden death - it still would favor the team winning the coin toss too much to be worthwhile.

Granted a team should play defense and stop their opponents' first possession in OT, but by the same token a defensive team very rarely scores in their own right.

The solution in my opinion:  play a full fifth period with the following exception - if either team goes up by 9 or more points at any point during the '5th quarter,' the game immediately ends.  Otherwise, the fans get an extra period of play for the price of their ticket, both teams are guaranteed one possession (I've never seen an NFL team kill an entire quarter on one drive), and a coin toss would never, ever so greatly influence the outcome of a game.

nav-logo.png

No....

and so what if the defensive team scores or not? As long as they stop the other team from scoring, they give their team a chance to win.

And i don't think you'll ever get the NFL or NFLPA to agree to have a full fifth quarter... that's not going to happen, nor should it.

THe NFL system is great the way it is... and it is 1000% better than the college system...

sB9ijEj.png

Because you'll have teams kneeling on the ball with 12 seconds to go and taking the tie just so they won't have an interception or fumble and lose the game. It adds to the competition.

sB9ijEj.png

Two words:  Sudden Death.

Look at the NHL's short version of OT.  The NFL has given a chance to end the game and you'd better play some "D".

I'd hate to see them drag it out.  There are some good arguements about giving each team a chance, like in College-I just personally like the idea of sudden death.  Bang it's over

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Because you'll have teams kneeling on the ball with 12 seconds to go and taking the tie just so they won't have an interception or fumble and lose the game. It adds to the competition.

Don't they already do that just to get to OT?  And, providing it gets that late in OT, wouldn't they just do it then?

Granted, in the playoffs, you're going to need OT.  But in the regular season?  It's a gimmick.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I think NFL OT should have atleast each team shoudl have atleast 1 possession.

Losing without touching the bqall once is a little unfair but once each team has had atleast 1 possession then its sudden death.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I think NFL OT should have atleast each team shoudl have atleast 1 possession.

Losing without touching the bqall once is a little unfair but once each team has had atleast 1 possession then its sudden death.

How is it unfair? If the defense makes a stand, the offense will get to touch the ball. If the defense dosn't stop the other team, then they deserve to lose.

Bottom line. The "Unfair because the other teams offense dosn't get to touch the ball" is bull...

sB9ijEj.png

I think each team gets at least one possession, I like the college way of doing it where they give you the ball at the 25.

Only I think they should move it back to the 50, because if you get the ball at the 25 (or is it the 20?), you're almost garaunteed a field goal try. Or have a kickoff after one team scores. Team two can kickoff to team one and then if team two's defense does stop them, then team one can punt it away and THEN, if team two's offense scores, that's the game.

I'm not one complaining that, "Oh, it's all about whoever wins the coin toss." But in my opinion it's not one team's offense versus another team's defense, it's one team against another, if they defense gives up a touchdown, then it's up to the other part of the team to get that touchdown back.

sig09.jpg

I'm not one complaining that, "Oh, it's all about whoever wins the coin toss." But in my opinion it's not one team's offense versus another team's defense, it's one team against another, if they defense gives up a touchdown, then it's up to the other part of the team to get that touchdown back.

No, it's up to the Defense to stop the other team from getting a Touchdown or Field Goal. There's no getting another shot if you fail. That's why i hate the college system. THey give it to you basicaly inthe red zone, and if your defense fu*ks up, it's ok, you'll get another shot.

Not in the pros. You have to have your team prepared andready and clicking on all cylinders. If your defense can't stop the other team, then your offense shouldn't get to touch the ball.

I actually was in favor of letting both teams touch the ball not to long ago. I thought it was unbfair too... but the more i thought about it... and kinda reasoned it out... the NFL sysem is a much better overtime.

sB9ijEj.png

The collegiate system is a little screwy - put the ball on their OWN 25 yard line and let them drive down the field and score in overtime.  Then you've got something.  Watching the OSU-NCSU game earlier this season made me wretch.

Give each team a possession, starting at their own 20.  Make 'em drive downfield for the score.  If they get it, give the other team the same shot.  If they tie it back up, do it a second time.  If its a tie after 2 drives for each squad, its a tie game.

nav-logo.png

No.... Why should the other team get a shot if their defense couldn't hold?

There's two sides of the ball, it's a team sport. Not defense versus the offense. It's not fair to ride the entire game on the defense for one series, especially if the D get's burned deep for the game winning touchdown because the conerback slipped and fell while covering a reciever.

I don't think you can put the College Overtime in the NFL, you'd have to adapt it, giving pro teams the ball on the opponent's 25 yard line wouldn't work, you'd have some of the highest scoring games in league history if you do that.

Honestly, I really don't know what to think, but I'm not complaing about who wins the coin toss has the best chance to win, because only 51% of teams that have won the coin toss since 1974 (when the current system was implemented) have won the game. 44% were won by the team that lost the toss, and the rest ended in ties.

I just don't want these statistics to exist. I'm in favor of like a Brett Farve, Rich Gannon, or Steve McNair driving his team down the field on a do or die drive after the defense gave up a 50 yard field goal. It's exciting at the end of the game when a team is down by a touchdown and has to drive the length of the field in so much time to score and tie the game up. If you get another chance to do it in overtime, it makes the game a lot more interesting.

Last year the Jets beat the Bills 37-31 on the opening kickoff of overtime. There's nothing exciting about that. Now give Drew Bledsoe the chance to drive down the field and tie the game back up or potentially go for the win, now that would have been more exciting than the game ending on the kickoff return.

sig09.jpg

No.... Why should the other team get a shot if their defense couldn't hold?

There's two sides of the ball, it's a team sport. Not defense versus the offense. It's not fair to ride the entire game on the defense for one series, especially if the D get's burned deep for the game winning touchdown because the conerback slipped and fell while covering a reciever.

I don't think you can put the College Overtime in the NFL, you'd have to adapt it, giving pro teams the ball on the opponent's 25 yard line wouldn't work, you'd have some of the highest scoring games in league history if you do that.

that's right.. there are two sides of the ball... and if the defense can't keep their team in it, too bad, you lose.

It's not fair to the team that scores to say "Ok, good job, you beat their defense, but you can still lose because we're gonna give the other team a shot." If the other team wanted a shot, their defense should have held. It's not fair.

Leave the NFL system as is... it's the best football overtime system there is.......

sB9ijEj.png

Archived