Bcs?

random

ok, it seems pretty certain that when it's contract runs out in i believe 2006, the BCS will not be back in its current form.

my question is: how should college football decide its national champion after 2006? and dont just say "playoffs" if u think it should be playoffs give details. like how many teams, where the games are played, how teams are picked, etc.

personally i think the BCS should just expand itself and invite some mid-major champs into the party. also i think we need reform for the minor bowls as well as too many deserving teams get screwed by monetary considerations.

however, i am not opposed to a playoff, i'm just not sure how to make it work.

Azzuri.gif

i am in favor of playoffs, but it would take me a while to explain why. so alternately, Divison 1-A could have a point system...

*lose=0 points

*win vs unranked team=1 point

vs #25-21=2 points

vs #20-16=3 points

vs #15-11=4 points

vs #10-6=5 points

vs #5-2=7 points

vs #1=10 points

you need OT=1/2 the points or lose two points, whichever is higher

okay, if this sounds complicated then yeah, i figure it is. one of the polls would have to be eliminated for this to happen.

every team would play 12 games, and at the end the top 16 based on conference titles and this system would be selected for the playoffs.  all games except teh National Championship game would be played at the home stadium of the high seed.  there would also be an 8 team invitational tournament similar to the NIT in basketball, with the same arrangement.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Playoffs

Use the BCS ranking system and take the top 8 teams. The rest can play in the multitude of bowl games

Have 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5, with the higher seed having Home Field Advantage.

Highest remaining team plays lowest remaining team, second highest playes second lowest, Games played at the Sugar Bowl and the Orange Bowl.

Winners play in the national championship at the Rose Bowl

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Keep the BCS as a ranking system.  It actually for the most part works.  Play the bowl games - even use the current rotation between the "Big Four" bowls for whoever is ranked #1 and #2.

Then, once the bowls are over, use the BCS formula again to determine the Top 4 teams in the country.  Have #1 play #4, and #2 play #3, with each competing school getting $25 million.  The winners then play each other in a MegaBowl on the Saturday before the Super Bowl, complete with a $100 million payout to each team (and yes, that kind of money would easily be out there).

nav-logo.png

Set it up with like 32 teams. The bowl game give teams like a month off anyway in prep for the bowl games.

So take all the champions of the Big 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC, MAC, WAC, Pac-10, Big East, Sun Belt, and Conference USA. That's 10 teams right there. Then you add in 22 teams from all those conferences as at-larges (including the 1-A Indepenedents like Notre Dame & UConn).

Seeds will be applied based on the BCS system. But that's as far as the BCS will go. There will be two brackets, just like in the NCAA basketball tournament.

sig09.jpg

Set it up with like 32 teams. The bowl game give teams like a month off anyway in prep for the bowl games.

So take all the champions of the Big 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC, MAC, WAC, Pac-10, Big East, Sun Belt, and Conference USA. That's 10 teams right there. Then you add in 22 teams from all those conferences as at-larges (including the 1-A Indepenedents like Notre Dame & UConn).

Seeds will be applied based on the BCS system. But that's as far as the BCS will go. There will be two brackets, just like in the NCAA basketball tournament.

32 teams?

your out of your mind.... that'll never happen...

sB9ijEj.png

You're right. 32 is a lot, I originally started with 16 and I thought that was too little of a number. But now looking at it, it does seem better than 32.

So drop the Sun Belt and the C-USA championship teams from my plan and have 8 conference champions and 8 at large bids. This would only take 4 weeks, the same amount of time from a team's last game (for some) to it's bowl game in most scenarios.

32 teams? There isn't that many D1 A teams.

There is a 117 Division 1-A teams.

sig09.jpg

The BCS ranking system will be used for all teams from all confrences.... the whole "BCS-eligible Confrences" thing will be scrapped. It's unfair. But the BCS formula is the best way to try and get a good ranking system. i think 8 teams is still the best number.

sB9ijEj.png

I think he's on the right track, though. Sixteen teams would be better, I think, given that Division I-A has 117 teams participating.

Divisions I-AA, II, and III all have playoffs. Each is apparently done a little differently (per research done at ncaasports.com):

- Div I-AA (121 teams) has a sixteen team playoff, with eight conference winners getting automatic bids. The first three rounds are played on campus, while the final is played in Chattanooga.

- Div II (151 teams) has a regional ranking system run by the NCAA. At the end of the regular season, the top four in each region make it to the tournament. Again, the early rounds are played on campus, while the final is played in Florence, Alabama.

- Div III (229 teams) has a twenty-eight team bracket, with eighteen conference winners getting automatic bids into the tournament. The tourney is broken down into four regional brackets, and the top seed in each bracket is given a bye in the first round. Again, early rounds on campus, final in Salem, Virginia.

So why, aside from the supposed cash cow called bowl games (many of which change sponsors every year in desperation), can't Div I-A do a playoff? Take those ten automatic bids, then let a committee pick the other six and seed the teams. They could either give the higher seeds home games in the early rounds, or set "neutral" sites for each round. Pick a site for the national championship game--maybe let it rotate between the four current BCS bowl sites, for example.

It's not really that tough. The NCAA basketball tournament is exciting, and a football tournament could be just as good.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

O.K. Here's my final proposal.

16 teams make the playoffs. 8 conference champions. 8 at-large bids.

Tournament is set up like a bracket it in the NCAA basketball tournament.

We'll use the four BCS bowl sites for the neutral sites, or use a neutral site closes too the two competing schools. I show you what I mean.

Seeds (Using Current Coach's Poll)

1) Oklahoma (Big 12 Champ)

16) Fresno State (WAC Champ)

@ Sun Devil Stadium (Phoenix)

8) Tennessee (At-Large)

9) Iowa (At-Large)

@ Soldier Field (Chicago)

4) Ohio State (Big 10 Champ)

13) Texas (At Large)

@ Edward Jones Dome (St. Louis)

5) Virginia Tech (At Large)

12) Georgia (At Large)

@ Ericsson Stadium (Charlotte)

6) Florida State (ACC Champ)

11) Nebraska (At Large)

Adelphia Coliseum (Nashville)

3) USC (Pac 10 Champ)

14) Arkansas (At Large)

Invesco Field (Denver)

7) LSU (SEC Champ)

10) Michigan (At-Large)

Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City)

2) Miami (FL) (Big East Champ)

15) Northern Illinois (MAC Champ)

Georgia Dome (Atlanta)

The field would slim and be halved each week of course, which venues being relocated among near by stadiums. I used NFL stadiums in this, but you could use large NCAA stadiums because obviously, some fields will be in use by NFL teams.

Eventually, the field will be cut down to the final four teams, the last two games will be played at say the Sugar Bowl and Tostitos Fiesta bowl sites, with the championship game being played in the Orange Bowl, these three will alternate the championship game every year. The Rose will be cut out so they can go back to tradition of having a Big 10 - Pac 10 game between two teams who did not make the playoffs. There could still be other bowl games, but the playoffs could be dubbed the "Mother Bowl Playoffs" (IDK), or the other bowls could be worked into the tournament as host sites.

I'm just throwing ideas out, so don't criticize me too much.  :D

sig09.jpg

That's a pretty decent idea for a system, Random.  And, yeah, the NFL doesn't use 16--it uses 12--but, the NFL only has 32 teams, not 117.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The NCAA will never have more than 8 teams in a football playoff. THey just won't do it. I don't think they will ever do a playoff system, no matter how much the public asks for it.. it just won't happen. Sucks too...

Oh well.....

sB9ijEj.png

Archived