George plimpton, 1927-2003

yh

A really fascinating guy died last night.  George Plimpton, for those of you who aren't familiar with him, was a true renaissance man -- author, editor, cameo actor, general bon vivant.  Among his many literary accomplishments were a number of articles for Sports Illustrated and a handful of books that were written via the participatory journalism method.  In other words, he wrote about his first hand experiences participating in certain activities that "ordinary" people would never get to get a chance to try.  He played a round of golf with Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus in their heyday, pitched part of an inning against NL All Stars in the late 50's, and most famously, went through the Detroit Lions training camp and played in an intrasquad scrimmage game - an experience which became the book Paper Lion.  Anyone interested in learning about pro football before the days of free agency, mass marketing and prime time players should read that book.  The movie with Alan Alda?  It's okay, but nothing can really duplicate the imagery that Plimpton was able to create with his prose.  He will be missed for many reasons.

The only thing I remember him from was his appearance on the Simpsons earlier this year.  Other than that, I never heard of the man.  Still, it is sad.  May he rest in peace.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

The only thing I remember him from was his appearance on the Simpsons earlier this year. Other than that, I never heard of the man. Still, it is sad. May he rest in peace.

Read a book, Rog, just go and readsome books... there is alot out there no one cares to know about, and it's sad.

Plimpton always went that extra step to get whatever he thought he needed, including suiting up in the NFL. "Paper Lion" in a classic, that everyone should read.

I believe they just honored Plimpton and the entire Lions team from that year in Detroit last week.

Mr. Helmet Hut provided each member with exact replicas of the helemts each of them wore that year....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The only thing I remember him from was his appearance on the Simpsons earlier this year. Other than that, I never heard of the man. Still, it is sad. May he rest in peace.

And a Hot plate :D:D

I saw a couple of his cameo apperances on tv. RIP :(:(:(

i've been meaning to take my ass to the library and check out paper lion...only problem is i have a huge overdue fine that i meant to pay two years ago  :angry:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

i've been meaning to take my ass to the library and check out paper lion...only problem is i have a huge overdue fine that i meant to pay two years ago :angry:

Discrim say you lost your library card and sign up for a new card.  Then you avoid the fine.  :;):

duke-white-sm.gifcavs2-sm.gifyankees2-sm.gifga-sm.gif

duke.gif

brownsSig.gif

Archived