Devile Rays Cap ?

griffin128

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31-10118-m.jpg

Closest thing I could find. (I know it's the opposite)

Hahaha, I used to have that hat!!! Its a shame I no loner have it though... :(

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

The first year of existence the DRays sold a purple cap with a black bill.

Does anyone have any photo's of it actually be used in game, I can't find any proof.

I think that there was one like you described, but I don't think they ever wore it. May have just been a fashion cap or something.

I remember that hat as well...

31-10118-m.jpg

It's exactly the reverse of this cap. Purple crown, black bill. I own the hat but I can't find photo evidence that it was worn in actual game play. The same with the teal version of the DBacks cap that came out the same year. It was Teal with a Purple Bill, and another white DBacks cap.

I have all three of these hats but I'm not sure if they were ever worn.

I also remember there being quite a few fashion caps sold around that time that were just alternate caps with the colors reversed. (Like the Mariners Compass Rose alternate in teal instead of navy and a Red Sox cap with the B in navy on a red cap)

I don't remember the Devil Rays having one, but they weren't too popular.

nhl94vansigpng.png

I know that all three of these weren't fashion caps, because I have an old catalog that lists them as the actual game caps along with all the other teams game caps but I think that they may have been released as the "official" caps in like January, and then by the time April came around, they decided to use different on-field caps.

I suppose it's possible that they might have thought of using these. I know Boston has used the red cap with navy B as an alternate, and the Mariners used a teal version of their regular cap but no teal compass rose alternate. But of course, there's no way to know for sure if these were ever planned and then scrapped before a season, other than your catalog's say-so. So I guess it depends on your definition. I would define it as whether it was actually worn on-field, but if you have a source you trust, then use that. But I know there were a lot of these caps sold, but never worn on-field.

The funny thing is, now that I think about it, it would make perfect sense for these to have been planned and then scrapped, which would explain why they are not as gaudy as strict fashion caps, and very similar to the on-field versions. You may be onto something after all.

nhl94vansigpng.png

I have lived in the Tampa Bay area ever since the inception of the Rays and at no time in their early history did they wear a purple cap with a black brim. The only hats they wore in the "gradient period" were the all-black one with the "TB" and the black with purple brimmed as above.

I have lived in the Tampa Bay area ever since the inception of the Rays and at no time in their early history did they wear a purple cap with a black brim. The only hats they wore in the "gradient period" were the all-black one with the "TB" and the black with purple brimmed as above.

THey wore the all black one withthe big fish on it a few times. Perhaps 3.

31-10118-m.jpg

It's exactly the reverse of this cap. Purple crown, black bill. I own the hat but I can't find photo evidence that it was worn in actual game play. The same with the teal version of the DBacks cap that came out the same year. It was Teal with a Purple Bill, and another white DBacks cap.

I consulted my Diamondbacks media guides (which I have collected since their 1998 inaugural season) and have confirmed w/ photographic evidence my recollection that they did, in fact, wear the white caps w/ purple bills -- at least during Spring Training.

I don't recall seeing (nor can I find a photograph of) the club wearing the teal caps w/ purple bills.

I believe that during their first couple years, Arizona wore purple caps and home and black caps w/ teal bills on the road.

All the two-toned caps were hideous. They dropped them not a moment too soon. Now if we can just get them to switch to black caps full-time, w/ black pinstripes at home and no pinstripes on the road.

A boy can dream.

GO DIAMONDBACKS!

why did they ever change from that logo and color set? i hate what they have now

Because gradients in logos don't work. Everyone tried to tell them that when they unveiled them, but the team didn't listen.

They look nice on paper, but as soon as you try to embroider them...they look like crapola.

Why does this team exist at all? Awful logo, caps and jerseys, awful stadium, awful teams (until recently), awful ownership.

Their move towards green has worked out well, if only because what came before was so disgusting.

I dunno. Maybe paying $130M for the privilege had something to do with it... :rolleyes:

nav-logo.png

31-10118-m.jpg

I consulted my Diamondbacks media guides (which I have collected since their 1998 inaugural season) and have confirmed w/ photographic evidence my recollection that they did, in fact, wear the white caps w/ purple bills -- at least during Spring Training.

I don't recall seeing (nor can I find a photograph of) the club wearing the teal caps w/ purple bills.

I believe that during their first couple years, Arizona wore purple caps and home and black caps w/ teal bills on the road.

All the two-toned caps were hideous. They dropped them not a moment too soon. Now if we can just get them to switch to black caps full-time, w/ black pinstripes at home and no pinstripes on the road.

A boy can dream.

GO DIAMONDBACKS!

Muchos Gracias Amare, that info is very useful.

The D-Backs actually did wear that teal cap with the purple bill at least once during the 1998 inaugural year.

I remember there was this guy named Efren Valdez they signed out of the Mexican League that pitched in that game. He was terrible and I think he only pitched in like 5 games in the majors, but I distinctly rememebr watching one where he appeared and they wore that godawful teal hat.

The white ones they wore quite often that year, usually with the sleevless jerseys on Sunday home games.

Also, Buck Showalter had all his coaches wear white hats during spring training, similar to how the Rangers coaches currently wear red hats during spring training.

Archived