Islanders Fisherman Logo

JH42XCC

I loved the uniform and logo and as a matter of fact i have one myself and i wore it today. i often wear the jersey when i play hockey despite the laughs, im not sure if people laugh that it's the fisherman logo or the fact i have pallfy writen on the back, none the less the jersey rules!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seeing the old logo got me thinking.... it wasn't as bad as I remembered, especially on it's own (i.e. not on those funky jerseys), but the perspective of the word bothered me.... too drastic, and strange to be looking up at the word mark from underneath the letters....

anyways, played around a bit.... not exactly what I was hoping for, but maybe a more moderate treatment of the letters, as well as an updated color scheme... and an idea of how it might translate to jerseys... just wanted to see what it would look like....

NYI_890-2.gif

NHL-NYIJERSEYS.gif

The fisherman logo just doesn't work in the NHL. And it's not because the guy looks like the Gorton's fisherman or that they used lame colors and really strange striping patterns. The wordmarks have been slowly phased out of the NHL primary logos. The reasoning seems to be to force teams to have instantly recognizable logos where a wordmark is not needed to identify the team. Take away the word "Islanders" from this horribly busy logo and all you're left with is a guy in a slicker holding a stick in front of a net. This is also probably why so many people are still receptive to the lighthouse logo idea as a primary crest for at least an alternate jersey.

Look at the most recent changes in NHL primary logos: The LA Kings went from a crest with a wordmark to a simpler crown, the Columbus Blue Jackets chose the "CB" logo over the bug and wordmark logo. Around this time, the Capitals also went from having a wordmark as the entire primary logo to the eagle.

It was a step backwards, and though on it's own, it looks completely respectible, and if a minor league team took it, they would lok perfectly normal in those uniforms, wavy lines and numbers and all.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tampa, Edmonton, and Dallas all change their primary logos in the next few years for this very reason. I don't think either of the New York teams will, because their logos have so much historical significance to their fans.

nhl94vansigpng.png

I would love to see the Isles go back to Royal blue. Their use of the color has nothing to do with the Rangers but has to do with Nassau County's colors being royal and orange.

I can appreciate the Gorton's Fisherman logo, and have said if the team were an expansion team that logo would be fitting. However, my major issue with the logo is that it totally abandoned the history of the team, and during this period the franchise was rapidly going down the toilet. Something that one could argue they still haven't recovered from (Milbury can't leave soon enough).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tampa, Edmonton, and Dallas all change their primary logos in the next few years for this very reason. I don't think either of the New York teams will, because their logos have so much historical significance to their fans.

I'd be extremely surprised if the Oilers changed their logo (unless its to the streaking oil drop.) They should even go to the blue orange to the golden days.

a_mcnabb_i.jpg

I would love to see the Isles go back to Royal blue.  Their use of the color has nothing to do with the Rangers but has to do with Nassau County's colors being royal and orange. 

I can appreciate the Gorton's Fisherman logo, and have said if the team were an expansion team that logo would be fitting.  However, my major issue with the logo is that it totally abandoned the history of the team, and during this period the franchise was rapidly going down the toilet.  Something that one could argue they still haven't recovered from (Milbury can't leave soon enough).

Amen to that, brother.

Part of the problem is that right around the time the Isles broke out the fisherman jerseys, Gorton's changed their logo from a silhouetted fisherman to Stan Fischler's twin brother. Stir in a disastrous trade (Pierre Turgeon for Kirk Muller) and progressively stupider owners, and it wasn't the best time to try to remake the Isles' image.

As for my personal preferences, I liked the lighthouse and wouldn't mind seeing it in the current colors as a shoulder logo. If the Isles (and Blues) never revisit angled numbers again, it would suit me fine. I'd also like to go back to royal blue instead of navy, and dial down the orange to a slightly redder shade; what they're using now is almost tangerine. I'd even like to go back to the original blue unis where the lower part of the sleeve was white, with orange and blue stripes above.

Side note: Legend has it that Roy Boe's wife designed the original uniforms, and the colors were black and green, but they were scrapped at the last minute, and someone in the team's PR department cobbled up the NY over the Island logo that we all love so much. I'd love to see the original designs, if they still exist somewhere.

Reviewing the actual color sets used by the Islanders:

NewYorkIslanders_FRC_1995_SOL.jpg

NewYorkIslanders_FRC_1998_SOL.jpg

NewYorkIslanders_FRC_2006_SOL.jpg

Oh, and the current Orange is pretty dark...it's the same one that the Cincinnati Bengals and the Cleveland Browns use (at least in print)...

The only thing wrong with the fisherman logo is that it replaced a classic combo for the NY Islanders. It would be a great minor league hockey logo.

Bingo.

Even though they are minor league I'll always have fond memories of these uniforms. When I went to my first Blackhawks game on March 17, 1996, they were playing the Islanders, clad in these monstrosities.

Islanders5.gif

versus

Blackhawks5.gif

Quite the contrast.

The Captain Fishstick jerseys weren't really THAT bad, IMO...they were kinda funky looking, but it was distinctive (and the secondary logo was one of the best in the NHL at the time, IMO)

The problem was that the classic crest had the weight of 4 Stanley Cups behind it...this one had bad teams, John Spano, and some horrific trades (dealing away Todd Bertuzzi AND Bryan McCabe? Great foresight by the Isles front office, I tells ya...) to remember it by.

If the Icelanders had actually been somewhat good and not a patsy at the time of those new jerseys, I'm willing to bet the new look would have embraced a bit more...

Same thing happened in Pittsburgh....the old skating penguin gets ditched for the modern looking one in the 90s...the team goes into the toilet, and voila!, the skating pen from the good old days returns.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

The Captain Fishstick jerseys weren't really THAT bad, IMO...they were kinda funky looking, but it was distinctive (and the secondary logo was one of the best in the NHL at the time, IMO)

The problem was that the classic crest had the weight of 4 Stanley Cups behind it...this one had bad teams, John Spano, and some horrific trades (dealing away Todd Bertuzzi AND Bryan McCabe? Great foresight by the Isles front office, I tells ya...) to remember it by.

If the Icelanders had actually been somewhat good and not a patsy at the time of those new jerseys, I'm willing to bet the new look would have embraced a bit more...

Same thing happened in Pittsburgh....the old skating penguin gets ditched for the modern looking one in the 90s...the team goes into the toilet, and voila!, the skating pen from the good old days returns.

I absolutely LOVED this Pens uni, and was pissed when they ditched it for that horrible alt to become the fulltime road jersey. A better alt would've been bringing back the old yellow jersey.

Awesome:

Mario_Lemieux2.jpg

Bad:

200px-Mario_Lemieux_2001.jpg

Unique:

lemieux1984_tall.jpg

spikes.jpg

Awesome:

Mario_Lemieux2.jpg

Good Lord - I hated those uniforms. So much so, that I wrote the Penguins a letter right after they unveiled them...I still have the "form" letter they sent back to me...

Awesome:

Mario_Lemieux2.jpg

Good Lord - I hated those uniforms. So much so, that I wrote the Penguins a letter right after they unveiled them...I still have the "form" letter they sent back to me...

Did their letter say "Sorry dude, we think they're awesome?"

Cause they would've been right. ;)

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

No, I think Pantone's got this one right.

Rangers ripoff = lame

Skating penguin > Hummingbird

It just adds up.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

No, I think Pantone's got this one right.

Rangers ripoff = lame

Skating penguin > Hummingbird

It just adds up.

I actually LIKED the "hummingbird"...I still do!...my problem was with the new (for 1992), modern logo, mixed with an old-school uniform. I thought it looked like crapola.

I liked the White unis MUCH better...

Archived