Copperplate scavenger hunt

CC97

Let's face it... when you know what copperplate looks like, you start to notice it everywhere.

And it's damn annoying.

So, I figured we could share all the insane amounts of copperplate you see in designs out there... go... hunt...

logo.gif

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we should have a Berthold City Hunt and a Trajan Hunt as well. Maybe even a Trade Gothic Hunt, even though its a beautiful face. Anyway, you'll love this example:

PhoenixLogo.jpg

How are they a legit firm with big-name clients again?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The parent company just commissioned a logo that includes copperplate...I'll try and track down a .jpg for you kids.

The first thing I said was "copperplate? you're not serious, are you?"

I love it when ownership stares at me with their mouths open.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Trajan maybe (i'm guilty, its a great font) but copperplate and comic sans are in a class on their own.

"Whenever we have trouble pleasing a client, we just put their name in copperplate and they love it"

-My boss at my last job

Yeah...I quit.

I think we should have a Berthold City Hunt and a Trajan Hunt as well. Maybe even a Trade Gothic Hunt, even though its a beautiful face. Anyway, you'll love this example:

PhoenixLogo.jpg

How are they a legit firm with big-name clients again?

Holy crap that's a busy logo! And the pinnacle of what NOT to do in an identity...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Primary%20Color.jpg

I don't have a problem with Copperplate. I think that when used correctly it can add a sense of seriousness and dignity (like in the Hockey Hall of Fame nameplates).

What bugs the hell out of me is the gratuitous use of Century Gothic and Arial. And Zapf Chancery all caps.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Trajan maybe (i'm guilty, its a great font) but copperplate and comic sans are in a class on their own.

"Whenever we have trouble pleasing a client, we just put their name in copperplate and they love it"

-My boss at my last job

Yeah...I quit.

I like Trajan, but have you ever blown it up really large and actually seen how imperfect it is? I was shocked at how gross it looks at large sizes. When I enlarge Adobe Garamond, it's beautiful, every single perfect curve, but Trajan Pro is like a girl who only looks hot from far away.

I also agree that copperplate can work well, but only when its use implies a certain sense of dignity, like the "THE STANLEY CUP" up above: that's good Copperplate use. It should never be set with enarged capitals, either. It loses a lot of its stateliness. Most of the gross misuse is because of that stupid practice, in my opinion, and the Coperplate numbers will always be the ugliest things on the planet, especially the "1" numeral.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You're not allowed to post a logo directly from chris' site.

bringing up a rule that hasn't been enforced in over a year? great contribution to the thread.

Just pointed out the irony.

What irony? I have allowed it for over a year!

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived