How to improve the nhl

Notch Novelty

I was thinking about how to improve the NHL. Here is what I think would help. Folks, Rink will always be 200 x 85 unless they play in Olympic size rinks, thats just a fantasy. I'm sure your going to say fire Bettman but he has improved hockey.

Eliminate

2 line passing

Instigator rule

Clutching and Grabbing

2 Officials

Change

1 Official, 2 Linesmen

Offside rule to Tag Up offsides - College and Juniors use it, less faceoffs

Crease - box inside the crease. Gives the players more area near the goal

Move the blue lines closer to each other. Eliminates defense hockey somewhat

Icing to Automatic Icing

Increase fighting

Keep hockey traditional as possible.

W-L-T 2 pts for W, 1 pt for T, 0 for L

Home means light color, Away means dark color

no 3rd jerseys, no cartoon logos

5 on 5, 20 3 periods

Black Puck

2 min, 5 min, and 10 min penalties

Goalies don't serve penalties

Allow Ties - 5 min overtime

No Shoot outs

Never allow PP to be more than 5 on 3

Stay away from being a European Influenced hockey as much as possible

Salary Cap

Some kind of salary cap would be amazing and allow teams to compete equally.

Schedule

Cut down on the number of games. 30 teams each play each other 2x home and away = 58 games. 4 division teams will play again 4x more home and away = 16 games more. 74 game schedule. Seeing every team in the league atleast twice.

Teams

Please take away non traditional hockey areas. I see why they have LA for TV reasons.

Welcome back Hartford, Quebec, Winnipeg.

I would love to see TB move to Palace of Auburn Hills and have 2 Detroit Teams and same goes for Chicago.

Montreal and Toronto would never embrace a second team. Would always be viewed as 2nd rate team.

Portland, Seattle, Milwaukee would get teams from Anaheim, Miami, Raleigh

You're mostly insane.  You're going to tell the people that pack the arena in San Jose they can't have hockey because they're "non-traditional"?  They pack 'em in in Dallas as well.  Most of the southeast has had minor hockey traditions that go back fifty years or so.  You can't expect the game to grow by telling people "oh, you're south of this point, you can't play hockey."  Hockey, especially on the grass-roots level, has popped up in many placed you'd never expect, and I think it's terrific.

As for the rule changes, I agree with a few, but not many.  Kill the OTL.  Kill the 4-on-4.  Bring back touch-up offsides.

Increase fighting?  No no no no no no no no no no.

There's already "tag-up" (touch-up) icing, not automatic.

European-style hockey is as traditional as you get--they've played the game in Europe just about as long as they've played it in North America.  European hockey is also much less the "defensive hockey" you say you want to eliminate.

The actual game itself is not really broken.  I'd love to see them go back to touch-up offsides, though I don't see it happening--the influence of having non-touch-up offsides is being emphasized more in the youth game now.  Otherwise, there's a great mix of speed, skill, and physicality in the NHL right now.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It's odd that you mention making light jerseys home, and dark jerseys road under the keep hockey traditional part... how much do you know about the history of hockey exactly?

If you really want it to be traditional you'd eliminate overtime from regular season play.

A lot of the rules you mentioned there have been in tact for a long time.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Mockba, I agree with you on every last point.

...and there's absolutely nothing wrong with 3rd jerseys.

...and "cartoon" logos? The last thing we need is hockey becoming like baseball... lots boring logos, drab colourless (home & away at least) uniforms. No no no... graphically, the NHL is better now than it has ever been (especially with Phoenix's picasso-dog gone).

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

u forgot to add that we should design all the jerseys..lol jjus playin but that would be cool.

i really hate the new offsides rule...bring back touch up!! last year i played touch up in HS and the games were awesome. i played the automatic in travel and that season wa a drag... there is a new rule this year we have in the new league im in is that there is an atuomatic wistle if there is a teammate in the zone when u shoot it in..gay rule. the only good thing about the new rule is that it eliminated the "all the way down" offsides

untitled-1.png

Actually, if it's USA Hockey rules, there's still intentional offsides.  (I just went to my officials' seminar last weekend. *heh*  I'll be a Level II official this year.)

BTW, I have to suggest a book that a friend bought me last year: The Tropic of Hockey, by Dave Bidini.  Excellent reading about hockey in other parts of the world, such as Japan and the United Arab Emirates.

POTD 2013-08-22

BTW, I have to suggest a book that a friend bought me last year: The Tropic of Hockey, by Dave Bidini. Excellent reading about hockey in other parts of the world, such as Japan and the United Arab Emirates.

last year i read this article about japanese hockey in the espn mag...didn't know they played in the middle east, tho.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Mockba, you will be level 2 this year too.

Anyways, I agree with the tag-up offsides, it's alot better that way.

Keep, two line pass rule, it's the NHL you don't need cherry pickers.

I want to see a hard hitting game where when someone touches the puck there is someone there to make him play. It keeps the puck moving, and more excitng I think. Less fighting though. To me the game has gone to euro, where they don't hit, and less of the north american tight checking game.

Also, bring back the old playoff format, of divisional playoffs, then the conference finals, then cup final. Go back to 2 divisions, (although that would be hard in the east because you can break uo any part of the Atlantic Division because they're all big rivals with one another). And bring back the old names. Basically get rid of all this NBA knockoff stuff Bettman brought.

and get rid of Bettman, and get a commish that has seen a hockey game before becoming commish. He has ruined the game.

Also, NO SHOOTOUTS. Decide the game by playing the game. that means 5 on 5, and no points in the standings for losing.

Get the game back to the North American style, and less European.

Edit: Notorious, you do know moving the blue line closer increases, defensive hockey. Becuase the smaller the nuetral zone is the more clogged up it will be.

I don't think offense needs to be increased. How exciting are those 12-11 all-star games. Not that exciting.

last year i read this article about japanese hockey in the espn mag...didn't know they played in the middle east, tho.

oh yeah. Israel has teams competing in international competitions, as do Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

the latter two teams though are primarily made up of what I like to call "army brats"

(gots me thinking, I should rekindle my international hockey project again....you think?  :;): )

Hockey doesn't belong in California, Texas, or Florida. It's that simple.

Fighting is part of game and needs to see more of it. The 2 line pass rule is garbage. This would eliminate some systems.

Yes, Chris I know the tradition of hockey but I meant how people see light color meaning home.

I meant automatic icing as well. Moving the blue lines will allow offensive players to work more in the zone.

This would eliminate some systems.

No, it wouldn't, in fact it would make it more defensive. Plus, it would be to Euro.

And what do you have against the trap. I would rather watch a 1-0 traping game then a 6-5 game. There more excitement with 1-0 goal because each goal means something.

I feel that alot people don't know what the trap is, so there hear someone on tv who couldn't make in the NHl say how bad it is, and they just think what he says is true becuase he's on tv.

I know what the trap is. It's not boring to watch if you play hockey but for average fan, it's boring to them. Fast team that capitalized on mistakes would beat the trap. I personally like the Left Wing Lock and Swedish Torpedo myself. I'm not saying moving blue lines on top of each other like a death rink that would be crazy. I think 1-0 goalie duo is better than 6-5 scoring fest. I guess this is how I would like the NHL from my 15 years of playing expierence.

BTW - Cali, Texas, Florida you can have roller hockey or pro beach pick up hockey but not ICE. LOL.

What about using lighter pucks like USA Hockey is doing. I know USA Hockey is using it for different reason but goalies would have a heck of time trying to stop 150 mph slap shot.

What about using lighter pucks like USA Hockey is doing. I know USA Hockey is using it for different reason but goalies would have a heck of time trying to stop 150 mph slap shot.

See above for what I think about the average fan who think that the trap is boring. I've been playing for about 10 years now, and I have played the trap a couple of time and me and my team have liked to play it.

And the Bay Area should have a team (or dhould keep there team). They are in NORTHREN California. If you don't think they should have a team, then you must think the the Devils. Isalnders, and Rangers shouldn't exist because all of them play straight across country from the Bay Area.

And I don't think USA should use the lighter pucks for the mites, last year I refed several mite games that were 7-0, I can't imagine what the score will be this year with the blue pucks.

Things like the left wing lock are similar to the trap, and are defensive schemes. There's nothing wrong with playing a system on either side of the ice. And, as jkr pointed out, you said you want to get away from "European" hockey, and yet you want more scoring and skating. Those are two opposite directions.

You may remember the period of time that the NHL had six teams. It lasted a long time. In 1967, they expanded to twelve teams. Two of those teams were in California. The L.A. Kings have existed since 1967--that's thirty-six seasons. That's not "traditional" in any way? Certainly, compared to most teams in "traditional hockey cities," the Kings are an OLD franchise. Edmonton? 1970s WHA. Calgary? Moved from Atlanta in 1980. Buffalo? 70s. Ottawa? 1992. And, let's not forget the Minnesota Wild, 2000. Sure, they've had hockey of all kinds before that, but in NHL terms, they're kids compared to the Kings. So the argument that the NHL doesn't belong in California is bunk.

(And, of course, in a very convoluted way, the Sharks are the same franchise that was the Oakland/California (Golden) Seals, also founded in 1967.  As for "being treated like the other 29 teams," they seem to have the same rules applied to them... hmmm...)

Sure, fighting is part of the game. But, outside of the 1970s and 80s, when the NHL was struggling to find a market in the US, fighting has never been an integral part of the game. It's a tough sport, but that shouldn't have to include a bunch of fights every game. Goons, unless they can upgrade their true hockey skills, have fallen out of the ranks of the NHL. Note that Bob Probert, one of the most feared toughmen of the 1980s, actually made himself into a pretty decent goal scorer towards the end of his career. He wasn't any less tough, but without being able to contribute to the team in other ways, he would have been out of a job.

JKR, the blue pucks are a bad idea, or at least that's what most everyone in Minnesota seems to think. Seems to be a decision made less traditional hockey places; Minnesota kids have played with regular pucks for generations. We're just glad they backtracked and made them optional for the squirt/10-U level, though one of the suburban Twin Cities districts has decided to use them.

POTD 2013-08-22

JKR, the blue pucks are a bad idea, or at least that's what most everyone in Minnesota seems to think. Seems to be a decision made less traditional hockey places; Minnesota kids have played with regular pucks for generations. We're just glad they backtracked and made them optional for the squirt/10-U level, though one of the suburban Twin Cities districts has decided to use them.

I know the blue pucks are a bad idea, that's what I said. Like I said I've refereed many mite games that were 7-0 now they would be like 11-3. Like you said it was a dumb move for non-hockey areas. I had no problem with regular pucks at that age.

I had no problem with regular pucks at that age.

Bastard!  :P  

Just jealous, I never got to play ice until five years ago; started playing roller when I was 17, then after I moved up here I converted over.  Now I ref these kids and think how lucky they've got it.

POTD 2013-08-22

An article I read in a hockey magazine last month written by Bobby Smith (I think) made this suggestion:

Just widen the blue lines and red line from six inches wide to six feet wide each. It may look weird, but it increases the size of each zone without having to increase the ice surface. It provides more opportunity for breakaways and less two-line pass calls and offsides.

As much as I love how they sped up the game last season, and a game now only takes about 2.5 hours to play I miss the days when it took a full 3 hours to play a game, because then we wouldn't have to wait a half hour for the late game of HNIC to start and get another half hour to finish the late game.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Why must all sports have more offense whats wrong with good defense. The new rules to speed up games last season really worked well, and I dont think any more changes really need to be made. Maybe the can expairment with removing the redline, but I dont think its something that is dire.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived