1986 red sox uniforms

BDugan

On Halloween in 1986, mere days removed from having my heart torn out and served-up on a platter to the vengeful Puritan God that rules over all things BoSox-related, my tried-and-true New England baseball-fan cynicism reached its peak. I attended several costume parties dressed as Bill Buckner.

Through a friend who works as a manufacturers' rep in the sporting goods industry, I was able to obtain a pair of Boston Red Sox-style road uniform pants and a  BoSox Buckner road jersey. I already owned a Red Sox cap. I borrowed a friend's first baseman's glove. The crowning achievement was the official Major League baseball that I hung down (to a point between my calves and ankles) from the crotch of the pants on a thin, clear piece of fishing line.

Proof positive that as a die-hard Red Sox fan you not only eventually become conditioned to the pain, but you perversely revel in it. Sort of the sports fan equivalent of using your tongue to probe and aggravate a sore tooth.

Brian in Boston

Proof positive that as a die-hard Red Sox fan you not only eventually become conditioned to the pain, but you perversely revel in it.

I know the feeling. I've been numb since that 8-run eighth two days ago and I can't snap out of it. It's a weird fog... a combination of disbelief and total belief... if that makes any sense. Sort of, 'it figures,' but still 'how could it happen?' I don't know how to explain it. Better start getting my Steve Bartman costume ready...

No, no, no.

You'd better start getting your "8th Inning of NLCS Game 6" Edition Alex Gonzalez, or Mark Prior or Kyle Farnsworth costume ready. Let's not blame Mr. Bartman for a loss that must sit squarely on the Cubs' shoulders.

Frankly, I was out of line with my 1986 Bill Buckner costume. In reality, I should have been dressed in my "@$$hole John McNamara Failing to Put In Dave Stapleton As A Defensive Substitute" costume.

Brian in Boston

No, no, no.

You'd better start getting your "8th Inning of NLCS Game 6" Edition Alex Gonzalez, or Mark Prior or Kyle Farnsworth costume ready. Let's not blame Mr. Bartman for a loss that must sit squarely on the Cubs' shoulders.

Frankly, I was out of line with my 1986 Bill Buckner costume. In reality, I should have been dressed in my "@$$hole John McNamara Failing to Put In Dave Stapleton As A Defensive Substitute" costume.

Brian in Boston

I think it's hanging right next to my "John Tudor breaking his hand after punching an electric fan in the clubhouse after melting down in Game 7 of the World Series the night after the Cards got screwed by Don Denkinger" costume.

Mine's a 1996 Jeffrey Mayer outfit! :P

Correction. My name's Jeffrey Mayer.

The kid's name who stole the '96 ALCS for the Yanks is Jeffrey Maier.

As a Mets fan, its the difference in spelling's the only defense I have.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

I know the feeling in a different way.

When morton anderson kicked the field goal in the 98 nfc championship game.  I wasnt depressed, just in utter shock and disbelievement. I am a cubbies fan too, but a secondary fan behind the twinkies.  So it hurts, but not like before.

I think the phrase 'self fulfilling prophecy' is the keyword. Once it happened, its like everyone collective will went in that direction.  you knew something bad was coming, but it probably only happened because people were waiting for it to come, including cubs players...see also; alex gonzalez

Mine's a 1996 Jeffrey Mayer outfit! :P

Correction. My name's Jeffrey Mayer.

The kid's name who stole the '96 ALCS for the Yanks is Jeffrey Maier.

As a Mets fan, its the difference in spelling's the only defense I have.

Sorry, dude, I was working without notes! :laugh:

• LMU locked this topic

Archived