Commentary on baseball playoffs

random

Ya know as a sports fan, i enjoy playoffs. All the playoffs, baseball, basketball, hockey, football, all of em. I mean playoffs are the time when the best players "come thru in the clutch" and lead their teams to victory. March Madness is the best, and the NFL playoffs are usually amazing as well. but sometimes, just sometimes baseball takes the cake.

this year WAS NOT one of those times. whats so glamourous about baseball's two darlings, the Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs, both 3 runs up with 5 outs left, blowing it. perhaps Steve Bartman will go down in baseball infamy the way of Bill Buckner. or maybe Aaron [bleeping] Boone will join Bucky [bleeping] Dent in the list of terrible players who have some how come up big just to turn the ol screw job on the Red Sox. maybe it was a "great" postseason. but i'm out like the Red Sox lineup against Mariano Rivera. no more for me. rooting for the yankees is like rooting for brad pitt to get the girl or for bill gates to win the lottery. fans of the yankees probably also have a thing for the iceberg that hit the titanic, goliath, and people who kick puppies. no, wait, its worse than that, at least goliath got his in the end. the yankees will always win, and the the red sox will always lose. i feel terrible for lifelong Sox and Cubs fans, i'm only a recent adoptive fan, liking the Sox while my favorite team is in the arduous process of "rebuilding". but take heed, sox fans, i know too what its like to be screwed by those pinstripes. remember Jeffrey [bleeping] Maier? i do, the kids a criminal. I have a feeling he and Steve Bartman would make great friends.

so yanks "fans", enjoy the rest of october. i'm out. but just remember, the Marlins have never lost a postseason series. and you are human, remember 2001?

Azzuri.gif

This is going to be the most boring World Series ever. Seriously. Who wants to watch the Yankees buy another championship?

Without engaging a debate regarding "buying" a championship, I think it's kind of interesting that the team that is most often accused of such practices is going up against a team whose prior championship was the most blatant example of a purchased title.  It will be interested to see if the relatively "organic" Marlins can repeat the feat of their bionic predecessors.

Here's a Yankee Fan who was at last nights game defending his team.

First you can't just buy a championship. Case in point the Baltimore Orioles, Los Angeles Dodgers, Atlanta Braves, Texas Rangers, Chicago Cubs, and the 2 best examples the New York Mets and Boston Red Sox.

Also out of all of the recent pennant (sp?) winning Yankees, this is the worst, by far. This team swings at everything, horrible fielding and a terrible bullpen outside of Rivera (Came up through the Yankees farm system. The Yankees have won this playoffs not because off the "big free agents" but becuase of the home-grown players that have been here (Jeter, Bernie, Andy, and Rivera). To me if you want to say a team is buying a championship you ust look deeper than the payroll.

Random, If you don't think these LCS's weren't great you must be dead, two game 7's, a Marlins team that came back from 3-1 down to beat the 2 best young pitchers in the game. And the Yanks-Red Sox was a classic. Just when one team gets momentum the other come up with a big win and game 7 with a big comeback and went into extra-innings. It was an amazing game to be at, and it was a classic game.

I think this World Series will be a good one, the Marlins are an under rated team. They remind me alot of the "Old Yankees", with Tino,and, Paul O?Neill.

Also, Random as a Yankee Fan I am offened by your comments about them. They are dumb founded, and ignorant.

This is going to be the most boring World Series ever. Seriously. Who wants to watch the Yankees buy another championship?

Jealousy is a stinky cologne....

If money was all you needed to win a world championship the Sox, Dodgers, Mets, Cubs, and Giants would be rivaling the Yankees for number of titals won...

It's not just that you have the money, it's that you spend the money wisely, jackass...

Maybe if Peter Angelo gave a :censored: about his team, instead of trying to fight every suggestion of a DC ballclub that could hurt his non-existant "extended" fanbase, the Orioles would be competitive, like they were in the mid-late 90's... instead Mr. Angelo cares anly about his pocket, and the money that's in it... George only cares about winning... he'll spend whatever he has to, hire or fire whoever he has to, to make sure the Yankees win... other owners won't make that commitment. And don't gimme this "small market" bull... if a team is losing money and can't compete, they should fold.. not suck away funds from other teams to prop themselves up...

we ain't China folks...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

random

I agree with you sports his a hate the rivals world. Though I still think your a jacka$$ about what you said about Yankees fans. You can have your opinion, and I can have mine. And I agree with you on front running fan, I don't like them and I don't want them as Yankee Fans. You can rest assure I'm a true Yankee fan.

Now you are wrong on some points. The Yankees aren't to blame for the buying championships teams are trying to do, the team to blame is the Baltimore Orioles. Back in the mid-to late 90's had a higher payroll than the Yankees. Of course they failed but they started it by grabbing big free agents that made other teams feel they had to do the same also. They Yankees won thier World Series, the way a team should, the core of the team came up through the farm, and the added a few key players from the outside.

And I disagree with you on your statement on how baseball needed Cubs-Red Sox. Now I will be the first to admit the Yanks-Marlins isn't the greatest match-up, but I think it will be a good world series. As far as ratings go it probably won't as great as the LCS's.

Though I think it it were a Yankees-Cubs World Series, it would do just as good as a Cubs-Red Sox World Series. In the Yanks- cubs match-up it would have been a great series on the field, maybe going 7 games. Plus you would have the team that hasn't won in so long versus the winningest team in soprts. That's why I don't think baseball needed the Cubs-Sox series.

Your just bitter

edit: I take back what I said, again I was ticked off.

jkrdevil... do you know what offends me? You implying that every member of Red Sox Nation is a "have pity on us everything goes against us" type of fan.

You get offended by comments that random made about Yankees fans, then you turn right around and do the same thing to Red Sox fans. That's the very definition of being a hypocrite.

Talk about being "dumb founded, and ignorant".

Brian in Boston

I know not every Red Sox fan is like that, in fact most aren't. Your right that was hypoctical. I was ticked off about his comments and went down to that level. Plus, at the game there was some a-hole Sox fans. You could say some bad apples spoiled a bunch in they way both fan bases are looked at.

Any team with a payroll that the Yankees have has no excuse not to go undefeated. And Jealousy is a stinky cologne?

Tell me, is it easy cheering for a team that has $60 million more payroll than anyone else?

With that extra Payroll, they would come close to exceeding the 2003 NFL Salary Cap. How can you say they don't buy Championships?

And... let's say that was... um... i dunno... The Red Sox that had all those Championships and all that Salary Cap while the Yankees were only a playoff contender. First off, there'd be no Curse of the Bambino and second of all... would you complain that the Red Sox bought Championships?

Wait... naw... what am I thinking?... you'd probably be a Red Sox fan.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived