MDesign

What Grinds Your Gears...

23,133 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, dont care said:

I was just giving you a legitimate option, no need to be a jerk about it.

It was meant as a joke. I apologize for not making it clear that I was just kidding around. 

Every municipality in my region has some form of a ban from parking on the street overnight in winter. My town especially is so dumb about how they administer the parking ban.  It normally ends April 1, but there has been a trend to lift it early the last few years when the weather turns nice.  The town is so far behind that it was in the 50s and 60s for a couple weeks before they lifted the ban.  Now that there's a snow storm that everyone's known about for around five days, they still haven't reinstated the ban as of right now (snow starts tonight).  I was already going to take my cars off the street, but it's frustrating to see the whole thing carried out in such a stupid way.  Get a twitter account to announce this stuff quickly and flexibly and join the 21st century.

Last night my wife got a letter from the IRS saying someone used her social security number to try to get a job.  I have a feeling our life is about to be a roller coaster.

The company I work for was unable to make payroll today. There have been a few times this year when it has only been partial payroll, and I was one of the lucky ones who did get paid, but nobody got paid today as scheduled. This ship is sinking. But I have been looking and I have a couple of interviews for new positions this week, so hopefully something pans out.

On 3/14/2017 at 8:54 AM, OnWis97 said:

Last night my wife got a letter from the IRS saying someone used her social security number to try to get a job.  I have a feeling our life is about to be a roller coaster.

Someone tried to file a return in my wife's name last year, using her SSN.  Other than being required to file paper returns for a few years for security reasons, it was no big deal.

19 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

The company I work for was unable to make payroll today. There have been a few times this year when it has only been partial payroll, and I was one of the lucky ones who did get paid, but nobody got paid today as scheduled. This ship is sinking. But I have been looking and I have a couple of interviews for new positions this week, so hopefully something pans out.

Image result for HMS Barham gif

its the HMS Barham if anyone want to know.

Something is either unique  or it is not. It can't be 'a little more unique'.

2 people like this

Webstaurant Store ads that are much easier to click on than normal ads (on a tablet). They're the only ads that will get "clicked" on if I only put my finger on them to scroll down the page, and they tend to be on the part of the page where I do my scrolling.

5 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Something is either unique  or it is not. It can't be 'a little more unique'.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that is bothered by people saying things like "that is really unique."  

9 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one that is bothered by people saying things like "that is really unique."  

I've long been bothered by it. I've only recently ventured into this here corner of the boards :-)

Fake edit - glad I caught that unfortunate grammar error before hitting <Submit Reply>

I bought a Diet Coke at the Goose Island bar inside O'Hare last week. A few days ago, the charge hit my account - for $15.38. I kept my receipt, called the company, and it was rectified. Mistakes happen, not a huge deal... Right?

It's still sitting in the back of my mind. I've worked in the restaurant industry for going on 13 years now and know that (assuming the POS system didn't screw up), the only way for a $3.78 bill (which is what my card was swiped and I have a receipt for) to turn into a $15.38 bill is for the bartender to change the numbers on the receipt or enter them incorrectly into the computer. 

Should I call back and ask for a copy of their receipt? If it turns out to be forged, is there really anything I can do? I have my money back. However, if this bartender is forging receipts, he's in the perfect place to do it - people are traveling, in a rush, might not check their bank statement, likely to use their card dozens of times while out of town, etc. He only would've "gotten" me for $10 - but what about others?

I recently had a thread deleted because Brian in Boston thought it wasn't funny; AMA

10 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I recently had a thread deleted because Brian in Boston thought it wasn't funny; AMA

Actually, I'm the one who closed the thread.  Please don't spread the trolling to other threads.

1 minute ago, Mockba said:

Actually, I'm the one who closed the thread.  Please don't spread the trolling to other threads.

That's not a question, though.

1 person likes this

No.  No it is not.

1 minute ago, Mockba said:

No.  No it is not.

You should do a moderator AMA.  

You know what grinds my gears, a person bringing back a grudge from before and putting it on another thread and then arguing with a mod over it

1 person likes this

56 minutes ago, ImmortalChef said:

You know what grinds my ear

I imagine a drill?

Dork.

5 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I imagine a drill?

Dork.

WOAH, YOU ARE SO FUNNY LOL

Some of the bizarre requests that people make at the bank when there's a line out the door just make me shake my head.

One guy specifically stipulated as he was cashing a check that exactly $18 be deposited into his account.

I'm just there to deposit a check so that it clears tomorrow.  I'd prefer to not wait for your monetary shell game.

8 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I imagine a drill?

Dork.

I'd imagine THIS does a better job at grinding one's ear.