MDesign

What Grinds Your Gears...

23,178 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Alex Houston said:

He should've held his tongue and then been comped like crazy from United and the car rental place.

He doesn't have much bargaining power once he's off the plane and the plane's in the air.  United's going to give him their original offer or, at best, their last offer since he did get up on his own accord.  United doesn't take any hit financially like they're going to now.

On the plus side, for those of you that need cheap flights down the road, expect United to slash their fares to get back in the good PR graces of folks.  Nothing makes people forget bad things like cheap stuff and give-outs......

5 hours ago, LMU said:

So, let's take this whole United thing blow-by-blow.

*United is apparently so #INCOMPETENT! that it boots paying customers off of already oversold flights to re-accomodate its own staff.

*United's overbooking procedures specifically cover protocol at the gate.  WHY COULDN'T THIS HAVE BEEN FIGURED OUT BEFORE A SINGLE PERSON WENT INTO THE JETWAY?

*United got cheap and only raised their volunteer payout once before spinning the wheel of fate.

*United couldn't bother to inquire on peoples' priorities before kicking them off of planes.  Even the freaking court system asks about hardships before sticking you on a jury.

*The flight crew decides that the best way to handle a tense situation is to hold the entire flight hostage and then to call the freaking cops instead of cutting their losses and giving the wheel another spin.

*Instead of trying to reason with the guy they drag him off and leave him bruised and bloody.  With every person on the flight with a cell phone.

I'll be honest here.  In the year 2017, with online booking with seat selection, standby flying is obsolete.  If you want to have web checkin open until an hour before the flight then let people book unassigned seats after that?  Fine.  If you want to make no-shows unrefundable unless the airline is at fault for a missed connector?  Fine.  It's just ridiculous that the system is at the point where major crises happen because people actually show up to something they spent money for.

All true.

They really should put the airline in private hands.  Government messes everything up.

(Please note the sarcasm)

I've never flown before..... ever. 

However, to go ahead and apply force like that.... this is why I despise cops. They take advantage of power, end up hurting people and then they're all like "He/She stepped a toe outta line with their mouth/body language, so they deserved it." :censored: them. 

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, CS85 said:

Nothing like "flying the friendly skies of United." That airline has been a :censored: show for a long time. 

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Nothing like "flying the friendly skies of United." That airline has been a :censored: show for a long time. 

and how in this day in age to you overbook a flight.  

this is not my grandfathers United Airlines (he work for them for 30 plus years).  

9 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I've never flown before..... ever. 

However, to go ahead and apply force like that.... this is why I despise cops. They take advantage of power, end up hurting people and then they're all like "He/She stepped a toe outta line with their mouth/body language, so they deserved it." :censored:them

Who's "they"?

1 minute ago, BigBubba said:

Who's "they"?

I've had to deal with police getting aggressive with me once in my life a few years back due to some circumstances. I ended up with multiple bruises & was humiliated all because I looked like I was going to hurt someone when I just wanted to talk. I understand that the police have jobs to do, I just find the cops do as much assault as they try to prevent. 

Doesn't help that I've got minor Cerebral Palsy & handcuffs hurt me like a :censored: . I really hate restraints of any kind. 

Because throwing you off a flight for their own shortsighted staffing issues makes it all better.

17 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

My question is why would he even have a lawyer on standby unless he was used to using one?

What? I have a lawyer on standby, but have never needed to use one. He's not on retainer, but if I ever get in legal trouble like being forcibly dragged off a plane I paid to be on then I already know who I'm going to call. 

1 person likes this

A friend of mine is a stewardess.  I asked her about how overbooked flights and passenger removal is handled.

Ultimately, these flight companies can take you off a flight for whatever reason, but you have to be guaranteed a flight to your destination within 24 hours, even if it's getting on a another company's plane.  As well, you get compensation for being taken off that flight (usually company credits or miles program benefits or free upgrade for a future flight, etc.).

Here's the tricky part: If they don't get enough volunteers, those that get "drafted" to get taken off the flight tend to get less of a compensation deal than those that volunteered.  Also, those that get drafted are usually those that paid the cheapest fares, since said compensation will be lower.

As she explained it....under federal law, passengers have very little (almost none, really) rights in guaranteeing your seat on the plane.

1 hour ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Ultimately, these flight companies can take you off a flight for whatever reason, but you have to be guaranteed a flight to your destination within 24 hours, even if it's getting on a another company's plane. 

Yup. That's how I got to take a Northwest Airlines flight from Charlotte to Detroit on an Airbus 320 (I think) that had maybe 20 passengers.  It was the best flight I've ever been on. My US Airways flight was overbooked so they asked for volunteers to take a Northwest flight that was leaving less than an hour later. They even told us that the Northwest flight was practically empty but only 3 or 4 people volunteered. I was happy just to get a flight that wasn't jam packed but we also got a $200 voucher out of the deal. 

Back to actual gear grinders...

My primary decided to leave the practice without any announcement so now I'm having to find a new one that's covered by my insurance, taking patients, and who didn't go to a seedy medical school in the Caribbean.

We thought we had one picked but she's not accepting new patients.

This one really hurts since this was the doctor who spurred me to drop 100 lbs.

Was led to believe that I would be getting a promotion, but my really good friend got it instead. So now I'm upset that I didn't get the job and even more upset that I'm upset, if that makes sense. I should be really thrilled for him--and if my supervisor never suggested that I would be getting it, I would be. He probably deserves it as much as I do, and like I said, he's become one of my best friends. But when he was going through training at the office tonight, I kept thinking that it should be me (or even both of us, since we had two managers leave recently but they're apparently only adding one). And I feel like crap for thinking that. I want to know what happened, but I'm not going to say anything; I don't want to risk hurting my buddy's feelings if he finds out I'm disappointed I didn't get his gig. I value his friendship more than the job.

But if there was any chance at all that I wasn't going to get the promotion, my boss should've either said so or kept his mouth shut and not gotten me excited about it. Guess I won't be able to quit any of the 3 jobs I'm currently working at any time soon.

On 4/11/2017 at 2:51 PM, McCarthy said:

What? I have a lawyer on standby, but have never needed to use one. He's not on retainer, but if I ever get in legal trouble like being forcibly dragged off a plane I paid to be on then I already know who I'm going to call. 

I guess I'm still kind of confused as to why you'd feel the need to scope one out in general unless you knew them personally or relied on their legal expertise a bunch before. Maybe if you did some family wills and you like the guys work, you'd make a note of it but otherwise it strikes me as a bit strange.  

21 minutes ago, Alex Houston said:

I guess I'm still kind of confused as to why you'd feel the need to scope one out in general unless you knew them personally or relied on their legal expertise a bunch before. Maybe if you did some family wills and you like the guys work, you'd make a note of it but otherwise it strikes me as a bit strange.  

People use lawyers for all kinds of things. It doesn't mean they have a criminal past. 

Someone who is a doctor would probably use a lawyer more than most to make sure they're covered in the case of a malpractice suit, insurance dealings, things of that nature. There's really nothing strange about it. 

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

People use lawyers for all kinds of things. It doesn't mean they have a criminal past. 

Someone who is a doctor would probably use a lawyer more than most to make sure they're covered in the case of a malpractice suit, insurance dealings, things of that nature. There's really nothing strange about it. 

Right, I agree, but my original criticism was more about Dr. Dao threatening to get a lawyer involved when the situation was escalating once the aviation police were involved. Maybe it's just my instincts to de-escalate situations as someone who is in a managerial position at work, but his miscue added to the really botched situation United already set up and I think the court of popular opinion should've called him out on that more.

I have an estate attorney who's dealing with the aftermath of my mom's death. I'm sure I could get referrals from her for any other issue that comes up.

It's best to not be caught with your pants down if something happens.

If you're a low talker, don't act like an :censored: when someone asks you to repeat yourself or they mishear something you said. Especially if you're in a service industry.

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, Brass said:

If you're a low talker, don't act like an :censored: when someone asks you to repeat yourself or they mishear something you said. Especially if you're in a service industry.

You didn't get stuck wearing a puffy shirt, did you?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Brass said:

Any industry, any walk of life for that matter.  

Ppl who get asked a question, replying while turning their head aside or looking around, & then get miffed if you didn't comprehend the first time.  

Maybe it's an information age thing of whatever, ppl are losing key innate human communication practice & etiquette.  Hand writing?  Yeah, that's going the way of the dodo & fast... & I don't mean creatively, I mean ppl without the ability to write or print legibly.