MDesign

What Grinds Your Gears...

23,170 posts in this topic

So, this time last year I was diagnosed and was treated for acid reflux. I've been on the same medication ever since but wouldn't you know that a couple days ago it decided to come on back despite still being on the medication. 

The timing couldn't be better as A-I'm heading to Texas for a week on Monday and B-my primary decided to leave the practice and technically the insurance switch to the new guy doesn't kick in until the first of the month.

Better hope TSA will let my Gaviscon through I guess...

(note-it was a bit better today than yesterday. It only really flared during Easter Vigil mass since my stomach and esophagus kept getting jerked around all night thanks to Catholic Simon Says)

I think I'll speak for everyone.

What may be the most annoying thing in the world are kids fighting in the comments section on YouTube about how they were born in the "wrong generation" and how they wish that more people could acknowledge the music that they are listening.

It's so annoying. Sometimes I just want to throw a concrete block at my computer.

3 people like this

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:
On 4/14/2017 at 5:54 PM, DG_Now said:

You can always tell the quality of a person by how they treat minimum wage staff.

Yup. Minimum wage staff and wait staff too. I've worked at the same kind of jobs so I know how lousy they can be. I'm always nice to the person behind the counter or the server.  I always make the effort to make their day a little easier. There couple places where I am what they consider a regular always treat me very well. I've gotten free drinks, sides, etc., just because I treat these people like...well...people. They aren't my servants. 

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The only bad experiences I've had at sandwhich places have been because of customers. Not staff.

Yup, and I've told more than a few customers that they were making my experience bad. I may have used colorful language in telling them.  

Inside certain fast food restaurants those stupid digital menu boards that change.

Sometimes by the time I find the item and price it's either flipped to another section or more likely has disappeared off the board all together.

Also, on the fast food places topic, that self service ordering of McDonald's generally just makes getting your food that much slower.

28 minutes ago, greyraven8 said:

Inside certain fast food restaurants those stupid digital menu boards that change.

Sometimes by the time I find the item and price it's either flipped to another section or more likely has disappeared off the board all together.

Also, on the fast food places topic, that self service ordering of McDonald's generally just makes getting your food that much slower.

The first time I saw a McD's with the touchscreen ordering, I spent like five minutes figuring everything out, and then I realized that I could have just walked up a told it to a person in 15 seconds.

9 hours ago, cubsfan2015 said:

I think I'll speak for everyone.

What may be the most annoying thing in the world are kids fighting in the comments section on YouTube about how they were born in the "wrong generation" and how they wish that more people could acknowledge the music that they are listening.

It's so annoying. Sometimes I just want to throw a concrete block at my computer.

would say kids thinking down the road that movies today are classics (not seeing the real classics).  

1 person likes this

the NBA first 2 rounds of the playoffs.  seems to take a long time.  

1 hour ago, goalieboy82 said:

the NBA first 2 rounds of the playoffs.  seems to take a long time.  

Wkend game 1, midweek game 2, wkend game 3.  Always been like that as long as I can remember.

Worse- teams aren't rewarded for winning early.  If 2nd round matchups are available, they start the series before the other 1st rounders are over.  That's f'n sandlot backwoods.

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Wkend game 1, midweek game 2, wkend game 3.  Always been like that as long as I can remember.

Worse- teams aren't rewarded for winning early.  If 2nd round matchups are available, they start the series before the other 1st rounders are over.  That's f'n sandlot backwoods.

i feel like the first round (and second) should go like, games 1 and 2 back to back days, day off, back to back days for 3 and 4, and days off between 5-7 (if it comes to that).  for the rest of the playoffs, would have days off between games.  could have the playoffs done by the first or early second week of June.  

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

i feel like the first round (and second) should go like, games 1 and 2 back to back days, day off, back to back days for 3 and 4, and days off between 5-7 (if it comes to that).  for the rest of the playoffs, would have days off between games.  could have the playoffs done by the first or early second week of June.  

would also say, nothing is scheduled (once a team is in the playoffs, other then league games) from playoff time to once the playoffs are over for the arena/stadium (wont have cases like this anymore)

http://www.mercurynews.com/2009/05/18/smackdown-wwe-match-nba-playoff-game-scheduled-for-same-night-in-denver-arena/

and

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2000/apr/11/20000411-011059-1291r/

i know it doesn't happen often, but we hear stories like this ever few years.  

once a team is not going to be in the playoffs, you can open up the schedule for that time.  

2 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

would also say, nothing is scheduled (once a team is in the playoffs, other then league games) from playoff time to once the playoffs are over for the arena/stadium (wont have cases like this anymore)

http://www.mercurynews.com/2009/05/18/smackdown-wwe-match-nba-playoff-game-scheduled-for-same-night-in-denver-arena/

and

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2000/apr/11/20000411-011059-1291r/

i know it doesn't happen often, but we hear stories like this ever few years.  

once a team is not going to be in the playoffs, you can open up the schedule for that time.  

I know the NHL makes arenas leave a certain number of days available, but I don't think it's a complete blackout. Maybe the combination of an NBA and NHL team in the same building essentially would be, though.

Canker sores. :censored: 'em.

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, FGM13 said:

Canker sores. :censored: 'em.

would include a pimple under the nose (after you pop it).  

My mother-in-law sets her DVRs to start at something like 7:55 for an 8:00 show, because she's paranoid about missing any.  She's often recording a show after Jeopardy! is on, which means the recording starts right in the middle of the Final Jeopardy "answer".  If I'm around, I hear the music and I instinctively go to see what the question/answer is... she fast forwards right through it.  I cannot fathom why a person would have a Final Jeopardy in front of them and not want to at least read the "answer".

3 people like this

What pisses me off is those people who sit rinkside or courtside or whatever that wave and/or stand up when the camera gets on them.

Yes, we understand that you're on the jumbotron. Yes, we understand you're on TV. No, we don't care. Yes, we think you're a huge :censored: ing annoyance.

2 people like this

When I am at Capitals games and "fans" chat "All Your Fault" to an opposing goalie whenever the Caps score.

Oh and the "Who Cares?" when the opposing team scores.  

To me, that crap is VERY rude and it ruins the fun for the people who pay good money to go to games.  Hell when I hear it on my own TV, I get pissed.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, tohasbo said:

When I am at Capitals games and "fans" chat "All Your Fault" to an opposing goalie whenever the Caps score.

Oh and the "Who Cares?" when the opposing team scores.  

To me, that crap is VERY rude and it ruins the fun for the people who pay good money to go to games.  Hell when I hear it on my own TV, I get pissed.

They do that at Colorado Eagles (ECHL) games that I go to and it's annoying as hell.

I'm on vacation right now, currently in Austin.  Last night, around 1:30 in the morning this loud chirping sound echoed off the walls of the hotel room. I checked the AC and there wasn't a problem there. I shook the curtain and it stopped. It started up again fifteen minutes later and same thing. Finally after the third time I got on my hands and knees with my phone flash on and found a cricket against the window. It moved before I could do anything so I grabbed a heavy bottle and finally smashed the son of a bitch when I saw movement.

Insult to injury? Got a case of rug burn on my knee.

44 minutes ago, LMU said:

I'm on vacation right now, currently in Austin.  Last night, around 1:30 in the morning this loud chirping sound echoed off the walls of the hotel room. I checked the AC and there wasn't a problem there. I shook the curtain and it stopped. It started up again fifteen minutes later and same thing. Finally after the third time I got on my hands and knees with my phone flash on and found a cricket against the window. It moved before I could do anything so I grabbed a heavy bottle and finally smashed the son of a bitch when I saw movement.

Insult to injury? Got a case of rug burn on my knee.

Don't you know killing crickets is bad luck?!

1 person likes this

One of the worst gear grinders possible for me:

58fe4cdc02a09_20170423_080647reduced.thumb.JPG.60f2448511a7b6daeb0b8d49eacee9d1.JPG

That's the Namor '74, not just beached, but inundated and half underwater on the north side of Petit Bois Island early Sunday morning. Many of you may know about my feeling for boats and my boat; I first talked about my boat here.

The worst part was that just last week, after about a month and a half of work, I had finished re-doing floor, seats, and carpet, taking the interior from this demo stage:

58fe4dee72140_1_Demo.thumb.JPG.fb57b1d66abb5b73c20f535296944631.JPG

to this:

58fe4e856b216_16.carpetcompletelookingfrontreduced.thumb.JPG.4bf35f2c6addcf2fb6d31a6482ec90b9.JPG

Not to mention this was the first time that I was REALLY using the new motor I just purchased in January, as I talked about here

Started out great.  We went out for an overnight camping trip like we usually do. The day we went out was fine-- the water was calm and jade-clear. Dolphins swam about 30 feet way from us in the shallows on the west end of the island. 

20170422_115616.thumb.JPG.cb46c7ab737b45a1f59d16d36943086d.JPG

We later set up camp on the beach, grilled steak and shrimp, hung out by the campfire for quite awhile and went to bed in our tents about midnight, with the boat anchored just offshore. There was supposed to be a cool front with some rain coming through overnight, with winds the next morning less than 9 mph coming out of the north. No big; might be a little rough in the morning, but nothing we couldn't handle.

Turned out to be a heavy thunderstorm with rain, and with following winds of 17 mph (gusts to 26 mph) the next morning.  I checked the boat periodically; the automatic bilge pump worked and kept the rain pumped out, and the anchor and rope held, but sometime between about 4 AM and 6:30 AM the cleat holding the anchor rope broke, allowing the boat to drift free, and up on the beach, where it was overrun by waves.  By the time I found out, it was a done deal.

I'm a paying member of Sea Tow (kind of like AAA for the water) and they came and picked us up, but because of the wind and waves could only get us and a few of our personal things. Had to leave all my camping gear-- tents, ice chest, air mattresses, sleeping bags--- and other stuff on the island; will probably go out here when the wind changes on Wednesday with my dad in my uncle's boat to pick that stuff up.  Sea Tow will also wait till the wind changes and the tide is high to pump out the boat, pull it off the beach and tow it in for salvage.  It will be between them and the insurance company then (I have already filed a claim).

R.I.P., Namor '74.  You gave me 10 good years of fun and adventure.