MDesign

What Grinds Your Gears...

Hat Boy    213
9 hours ago, DiePerske said:

People who say twenty-seventeen and the like for the year. 

Two thousand seventeen please and thank you. 

America was founded in Seventeen Seventy-six.

The internal combustion engine was patented in Eighteen Twenty-six.

Man landed on the moon in Nineteen Sixty-nine.

Why should that mode of dating suddenly change?  The War of One-thousand Eight-hundred Twelve doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

McCarthy    6,598

I've been saying "oh-[year]" as a goof since ohten. We're in oh17 now. 

Cosmic    2,504
17 hours ago, DiePerske said:

People who say twenty-seventeen and the like for the year. 

Two thousand seventeen please and thank you. 

In 2020, you should probably just spend the year in a sensory deprivation chamber. I don't think you're gonna enjoy it.

infrared41    3,666
8 hours ago, Hat Boy said:

Why should that mode of dating suddenly change?  The War of One-thousand Eight-hundred Twelve doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

We really should start referring to years like that. It sounds way more impressive. For example: the one thousand, nine hundred eighty five Bears, the one thousand, nine hundred, and* twenty seven Yankees, and so on. B) 

*using "and" is optional

LMU    3,017
In the year two thousand five hundred twenty-five, if man is still alive
If woman can survive, they may find
In the year three thousand five hundred thirty-five 
Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lie
Everything you think, do and say
Is in the pill you took today
In the year four thousand forty-five
You ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing to chew
Nobody's gonna look at you
In the year five thousand five hundred fifty-five
Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
Your legs got nothin' to do
Some machine's doin' that for you
In the year six thousand five hundred sixty-five
You won't need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube
In the year seven thousand five hundred ten
If God's a coming, He oughta make it by then
Maybe He'll look around Himself and say
Guess it's time for the judgment day
In the year eight thousand five hundred ten
God is gonna shake His mighty head
He'll either say I'm pleased where man has been
Or tear it down, and start again
In the year nine thousand five hundred ninety-five
I'm kinda wonderin' if man is gonna be alive
He's taken everything this old earth can give
And he ain't put back nothing
Now it's been ten thousand years
Man has cried a billion tears
For what, he never knew, now man's reign is through
But through eternal night, the twinkling of starlight
So very far away, maybe it's only yesterday

rams80    2,751
On 4/28/2017 at 5:46 PM, LMU said:

The local CVS apparently thinks that we're 400 miles north of where we actually are.

IMG_2207.jpg

Waiting for "Update: the CVS was burned down in an arson fire last night."

kroywen    1,394
14 hours ago, Cosmic said:

In 2020, you should probably just spend the year in a sensory deprivation chamber. I don't think you're gonna enjoy it.

I transitioned over from "two thousand x" to "twenty x" sometime around 2012 or 2013 - it's quicker, more natural, and more consistent with how we've usually identified years (e.g. "nineteen ninety-nine"). 

Curiously, Stanley Kubrick might have influenced the use of "two thousand x" during the first decade of the 2000s, rather than "twenty oh-one." Back in 1968, when promoting 2001: A Space Odyssey, Kubrick specifically instructed journalists to pronounce its title "Two Thousand One" (according to interviews in the Stanley Kubrick Archives) rather than "twenty oh-one," which had the effect of ingraining that pronunciation three decades beforehand. Between that and the novelty of a year "two thousand" as the millennium approached (sounded a hell of a lot more futuristic and important than "twenty hundred"), that's the pronunciation that won out.

So who knows - if not for Stanley Kubrick, we might've been living in "twenty oh-one" rather than "two thousand one."

2001mark    1,187
5 hours ago, kroywen said:

So who knows - if not for Stanley Kubrick, we might've been living in "twenty oh-one" rather than "two thousand one."

Twenty oh-one etc was a moutful.

I did start saying twenty x during 2010.  Two thousand ten < Twenty ten.

McCarthy    6,598
20 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I can't wait for the constant jokes about vision, seeing things clearly, hindsight etc etc. January of 2020 is gonna be hilarious. 

OnWis97    2,192
27 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I can't wait for the constant jokes about vision, seeing things clearly, hindsight etc etc. January of 2020 is gonna be hilarious. 

I entered the urban planning field in 2000 as a lot of "20-year plans" were being completed.  So many clever agencies came up with "Vision 2020."

HedleyLamarr    1,309

I say "two thousand" instead of "twenty" because it's only a difference of one syllable, and the flow of your sentence isn't really impacted.  I said "nineteen" instead of "one thousand nine hundred" because you're saving four syllables at that point.

mcj882000    377

After doing a bit of shopping today I decided to head to a Wendy's downtown; it's part of an office building's cafeteria, but it's open to the public AFAIK - I've already eaten there 3 times before with no issues. When I got there today, however, they told me they were closed and couldn't take my order. I checked their posted hours, and it said they closed at 3:30 PM. A bit early (what kind of fast-food place closes in the afternoon?) and had I known beforehand I probably wouldn't have bothered, but whatever... Then on my way to leave, I check my phone, and I realise just what time it was: 3:31 PM. I missed closing time by a minute.

Like, I know you wanna leave work as fast as possible, I think we've all been there; but was taking a couple of extra minutes to make a couple of burgers & fries just too much to ask? (I guess it was...) I just walked a couple of blocks to an A&W (which closed at 7) and ate there instead.

OnWis97    2,192
5 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

After doing a bit of shopping today I decided to head to a Wendy's downtown; it's part of an office building's cafeteria, but it's open to the public AFAIK - I've already eaten there 3 times before with no issues. When I got there today, however, they told me they were closed and couldn't take my order. I checked their posted hours, and it said they closed at 3:30 PM. A bit early (what kind of fast-food place closes in the afternoon?) and had I known beforehand I probably wouldn't have bothered, but whatever... Then on my way to leave, I check my phone, and I realise just what time it was: 3:31 PM. I missed closing time by a minute.

Like, I know you wanna leave work as fast as possible, I think we've all been there; but was taking a couple of extra minutes to make a couple of burgers & fries just too much to ask? (I guess it was...) I just walked a couple of blocks to an A&W (which closed at 7) and ate there instead.

A lot of downtown lunch-time fast food places close in the afternoon where I work (St. Paul).  Worker bee lunch is their bread and butter.

I can't fault them for closing right on time.  What if people start filing in after you?  It's a tough line to draw, so draw it at the actual time.

BayouJim    806
18 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

A lot of downtown lunch-time fast food places close in the afternoon where I work (St. Paul).  Worker bee lunch is their bread and butter.

I can't fault them for closing right on time.  What if people start filing in after you?  It's a tough line to draw, so draw it at the actual time.

Exactly, if 3:30 is when they close, then you can't be mad that they told you they were closed. From working in the service industry, and any job at that matter, it's pretty common for a place to start closing duties thirty minutes to an hour before close with the actual locking of the door being one of the last things that need to be done at close-time.

Look at it this way, if you were at your job working on a Friday and you were off at 3:30, you wouldn't exactly be jumping to fire up the burners when a customer walked in a minute after close. As OnWis97 stated, it's a slippery slope because there's always a "I'm the last customer." Don't take it personally.

DG_Now    3,884

A couple of extra burgers and fries means turning all that equipment back on again and then likely cleaning it again afterward.

There's probably a Subway close by anyway.

sc49erfan15    881
8 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

So you're the guy who shows up at a sit-down restaurant 5 minutes before close and says "whew! glad I made it in time!"

:censored: you. Everyone hates you. 

BayouJim    806

Trust us when we tell you this, you wouldn't have wanted them to fire up those grills and make you any "specialized" patties anyways. Your gears would have really been grinding then!

dfwabel    990
19 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

Why is that a reason?  I just think you have something against Lavar Ball, as opposed to his business model which as entrepreneurial as you can get. 

You sound jealous of the attention he receives.

Did you have the same feeling ten years ago when a guy who was never in the car industry priced his car, based on a Lotus Elan, at $112K? or when folds started selling a bed in a box for $750?