MDesign

What Grinds Your Gears...

23,182 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, LMU said:

Actually, the exterminator said that the beekeepers in the area are charging upwards of $500 to take in bees so that, while the preferred method, wasn’t exactly viable.

Jeez, 500 to move bees?  While humane, that really seems steep.

They just said on the tv news that the upcoming solar eclipse was a once in a lifetime event. Does this mean I'm going to die before August 21, because I remember one in the NW in the spring of 1979 when I was 9 years old.

35 minutes ago, smzimbabwe said:

They just said on the tv news that the upcoming solar eclipse was a once in a lifetime event. Does this mean I'm going to die before August 21, because I remember one in the NW in the spring of 1979 when I was 9 years old.

There's also one in 7 years over much of the US, but this one is unique in the way that it goes coast-to-coast and only makes landfall in the US.

I live along the central line of the greatest duration. Pretty excited.

TSE2017_state_overview_SouthCarolina.jpg?format=750w

11 hours ago, Cosmic said:

In the right (wrong) neighborhood, it's more like Independence Quarter.

And again, they were going off tonight. My cat is terrified (she doesn't like loud noises, but on the 4th I expect it and come home early from my friends fourth BBQ to comfort her) and I have work in the morning. I'm debating whether or not to call the cops or just refuse to pay my homeowner's association bill because they are obviously not enforcing their own rules.

I'm probably sitting this eclipse out. That grinds my gears. My house is literally like five miles from the centerline of the 2024 eclipse, so I'm not sure I want to put everyone in the car for 24 hours in a short period of time. But we'll see. I think I change my mind twice a day.

20 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

I'm as patriotic as the next guy, but apparently, Independence Day is now Independence Week. People have been shooting off fireworks in my neighborhood since the 30th of June through last night, and I wouldn't be surprised if more go off tonight.

I heard fireworks the morning of July 3rd. How impatient and dumb do you have to be to not even wait until it's dark to use your money wasting chemistry experiments? 

21 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

I'm as patriotic as the next guy, but apparently, Independence Day is now Independence Week. People have been shooting off fireworks in my neighborhood since the 30th of June through last night, and I wouldn't be surprised if more go off tonight.

Same and they are those ones that sound like mortars going off, and they do it in the middle of the day too.

18 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I'm probably sitting this eclipse out. That grinds my gears. My house is literally like five miles from the centerline of the 2024 eclipse, so I'm not sure I want to put everyone in the car for 24 hours in a short period of time. But we'll see. I think I change my mind twice a day.

We've already got a hotel room booked for the night before.  Should be really neat, even if it only lasts three minutes.....

On 7/6/2017 at 9:28 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

I live along the central line of the greatest duration. Pretty excited.

TSE2017_state_overview_SouthCarolina.jpg?format=750w

I'll be in Boise when it happens, supposedly it's right along the path. I've heard that hotels have already jacked up their pricws big time. I did find out that my school is cancelling classes before 1:00 for all of us, though. 

Looks like I'll be in Tennessee a week too early to see the total eclipse. The 2024 eclipse will be going over Ohio, but if things go according to plan, I won't be living here by then. I can't win.

On July 6, 2017 at 4:00 PM, LMU said:

Actually, the exterminator said that the beekeepers in the area are charging upwards of $500 to take in bees so that, while the preferred method, wasn’t exactly viable.

That seems incredibly strange to me. I know and work with beekeepers and researchers and in my experience they will move them for free into their own managed hives. If that's the case that is incredibly disappointing. If your exterminator exaggerated to keep the business to himself (definitely not saying he did, I really don't know) that is even more disappointing.

Regardless, it sounds like you did what you could to save them. Thanks!

Photobucket going the way of Webshots.

Forums and elsewhere we will be seeing a lot of this for images:

8219312.jpg?319

3 hours ago, greyraven8 said:

Photobucket going the way of Webshots.

Photobucket has become ridiculous. Bombarding people with ads and making the free version of the site all but unusable is not exactly an effective way to get folks to spend the money on the subscription version of the site. 

2 people like this

Ever since this board started letting you upload photos directly from your desktop I haven't had a need for Photobucket. The last time I used it was more difficult than it needed to be. 

On 7/7/2017 at 6:12 AM, dont care said:

Same and they are those ones that sound like mortars going off, and they do it in the middle of the day too.

We had a pretty big problem with fireworks and terrified dogs this year. I don't mind the ones you can buy from fireworks stands that are run by the cops/fire department, and I picked up a few myself this year (the very first time I've done that). But my problem came with the people lighting full out M80s and dropping them out of car windows as they drove by. No wonder my dogs were terrified, I felt like I was in a war zone at certain points of the night. They lit up the sky like it was the middle of the day and shook the entire house. That was unsettling to even me and I jumped a few times.

Being able to light your own fireworks is a new and somewhat strange concept to me. I grew up pretty much in the middle of one of the largest national forest reserves in the country where fireworks are about as illegal as it gets. I'm talking fines in excess of $25,000 and jail time if you get caught lighting them up. Hell, there was even a point ten years ago, right after we lost damn near half the town to a fire ( @Cujo saw this first hand) where it was a $1,000+ fine if you were caught smoking a cigarette too close to the woods. 

I'm an artillery officer so I'm use to loud booms, but even I got caught off guard by a few that went off in the middle of the day and made me jump. Doesn't help that I don't live in exactly the best of neighborhoods so anything that sounds like a gun shot or more is pretty frightening. At night it's expected and I don't mind but I'm the middle of the day for no reason is just being a jerk I feel. 

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Ever since this board started letting you upload photos directly from your desktop I haven't had a need for Photobucket. The last time I used it was more difficult than it needed to be. 

Yeah, I need to download the old stuff that I have on Photobucket and then that place can :censored: right off. 

I'm pretty sure I am now bald enough that I got my first sunburn on my scalp while swimming over the weekend.

6 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I'm pretty sure I am now bald enough that I got my first sunburn on my scalp while swimming over the weekend.

As a person who is experiencing the beginning of male pattern baldness, I'm not looking forward to this, especially being from Florida, and a lot of the time working in some of the hottest places in the world. Luckily for that job I wear some type of hat 99% of the time when outdoors