MDesign

What Grinds Your Gears...

22,319 posts in this topic

I'm legitimately considering borrowing a page from charger77 and 9erssteve and signing all my posts.

-BigBubba

I used to sign all my posts, then it became to much of a hassle and I got chewed out for it my the other forum members.
With quote tags gone AWOL, I figured it would be helpful to sign my posts. If/when they come back, I'll post "normally".

-BigBubba

He's a married man, too.

Who somehow got his wife to agree to let him record the accompanying music video with the topless models.
And whose wife somehow convinced him to let her record a topless love scene with a certain other music artist in another musical movie.
Idlewild, for those who haven't seen it. Paula Patton is in it.
And it's Andre 3000 she gets it on with.

With all this evidence, I don't get why TalkToChuck is condemning Thicke. If anything, this shows how amazingly willful and awesome Patton really is. She'd be the kind of woman I'd date in a heartbeat.

I'm condemning him because he wrote a song about how fun it is to take advantage of girls because they're tipsy. The fact that his wife is ok with it makes absolutely no difference. It's a very misogynistic song.

That was also done purely for entertainment purposes. Some will like it, some won't...but let's not make more out of it than what it is: a catchy lighthearted pop song (read: not to be taken seriously).

He definitely could've done without shooting the unrated version of that video, but at the same time, he knew he'd gain more press off that. It's business that way...same as all the "shock and awe" mess going on with college football uniforms, just something to get his buzz going strong again (because it had been a while since he last had the limelight.)

Off-note: not that anyone cares, but from top to bottom, start to finish, his third album, The Evolution of Robin Thicke is still my favorite of his...it'll be mega-tough for him to top that one.

1 person likes this

That was also done purely for entertainment purposes. Some will like it, some won't...but let's not make more out of it than what it is: a catchy lighthearted pop song (read: not to be taken seriously).

He definitely could've done without shooting the unrated version of that video, but at the same time, he knew he'd gain more press off that. It's business that way...same as all the "shock and awe" mess going on with college football uniforms, just something to get his buzz going strong again (because it had been a while since he last had the limelight.)

Off-note: not that anyone cares, but from top to bottom, start to finish, his third album, The Evolution of Robin Thicke is still my favorite of his...it'll be mega-tough for him to top that one.

There's no doubt that musically, the song is good and does exactly what a pop song should do, get stuck in your head. The music video, while a little graphic isn't too bad. And again, it did exactly what a music video for a pop song should do, generate buzz.

My objection with him is purely for the message that the song is sending. Which is a message that is all too prevalent in this country.

How much different really is Blurred Lines than many other popular hip hop/R&B songs today? Sure it's a bit degrading to women but at the same time, aren't many other songs that use bitch every other word? I first had a reaction like TTC's to Blurred Lines but I soon realized it's not really much different from some other songs I'm totally cool with.

On a related note, people bitching left and right about Miley's performance the other night really grinds my gears. Who the :censored: cares? The biggest issue I have (and stop me if I'm sounding too much like illwauk here) but people are this up in arms specifically because she's this good Disney white girl. I guarantee you if, say, Nicki Minaj put on the same performance that nobody'd have said a word.*

*Note this is ignoring the fact that the posterior of Nicki Minaj is much greater than that of Miley Cyrus.

How much different really is Blurred Lines than many other popular hip hop/R&B songs today? Sure it's a bit degrading to women but at the same time, aren't many other songs that use bitch every other word? I first had a reaction like TTC's to Blurred Lines but I soon realized it's not really much different from some other songs I'm totally cool with.

On a related note, people bitching left and right about Miley's performance the other night really grinds my gears. Who the :censored: cares? The biggest issue I have (and stop me if I'm sounding too much like illwauk here) but people are this up in arms specifically because she's this good Disney white girl. I guarantee you if, say, Nicki Minaj put on the same performance that nobody'd have said a word.*

*Note this is ignoring the fact that the posterior of Nicki Minaj is much greater than that of Miley Cyrus.

Yes, but that does not make the song in question defensible. Truth be told I don't know the song, but if it is degrading, then it is, regardless of comparisons.

I am with you on the complaining about Miley...if we want not to reward her for such behavior, the best thing to do is stop generating buzz about it (which is exactly what she and her handlers want).

My complaining is probably coming off as a personal attack on Robin Thicke, and while I don't care for the guy that was not my intention at all.

I agree that this is not an isolated incident, and Robin is not the only guy doing this. I'm using his song because it's new and relevant. Plus the hypocritical nature of media and fans to be bashing Miley and then turning the other check to Robin for his part in the whole thing.

The sheer volume of these kind of songs is alarming, and the fact that they come from just about all genres of music is alarming as well. It speaks to the ridiculous attitude towards sexual harassment and rape that this country has.

Well yes, a degrading song is by its nature degrading but we don't get all up in arms about most degrading songs. That's why I don't really have a problem with Blurred Lines because, well, I'm going to have an issue with everything if I do that.

*Note, this is a reply to something on the previous page.

There's no doubt that musically, the song is good and does exactly what a pop song should do, get stuck in your head. The music video, while a little graphic isn't too bad. And again, it did exactly what a music video for a pop song should do, generate buzz.

My objection with him is purely for the message that the song is sending. Which is a message that is all too prevalent in this country.

Yes...it is. You smacked that nail square on the head. And the fact that is IS so prevalent is mighty disturbing, has been for a looooooonnnnnggg time. So I definitely agree with you on that.

But then...for some songs I listen to, words are more like another layer of music--I hear them, but I don't listen to them. To me its just part of the music. Like Blurred Lines. Just a catchy tune. But you won't catch me quoting none of the verses, no siree.

Yes...it is. You smacked that nail square on the head. And the fact that is IS so prevalent is mighty disturbing, has been for a looooooonnnnnggg time. So I definitely agree with you on that.

But then...for some songs I listen to, words are more like another layer of music--I hear them, but I don't listen to them. To me its just part of the music. Like Blurred Lines. Just a catchy tune. But you won't catch me quoting none of the verses, no siree.

Pretty much agree with Buc, it's a catchy tune that i'll stop to listen to. Something for some of us older folks to listen to. I won't be quoting the verse and no way in hell would I want my daughter or my youngest nephew and niece listen to this song.

I like how the song sounds (never mind that they purportedly ripped off Marvin Gaye) and I honestly couldn't grok the lyrics except for the occasional "domesticate ya" line.

Reading them now is just a "whoa."

Man, it's back to school and I get the biannual reminder of how expensive getting textbooks legitimately are. Hoo-whee. I'm sure you out-of-university/college/school folks are quite happy not to be buying textbooks.

I hear ya, Orgo. I am back in school to get an MBA and my books, if all new, are nearly $400...for one class...

Bombing interviews. I just crashed and burned on a phone interview.

I hate interviews, especially phone interviews. You don't know if you did well but you certainly know when you bomb one. Good luck in the future!

There seems to be a trend of having obnoxiously large signatures. All I can say is that I'm happy about the feature that allows us to ignore individual signatures, because some are just ridiculous. I've seen more than a few that are like three times the size of mine and take up almost half my screen.

-BigBubba

My parents were going to drive to Cincinnati for my birthday for the Reds-Dodgers game on Sunday the 8th, but it got changed from 1 pm to 8 pm for the Sunday Night ESPN game and now they can't come. Damn you, ESPN!

Ouch. I've done that all too often myself (although I have only ever had five interviews - months between each one, and only the last one got me my current part time job).

But there's always the positives to take out of it: you know not to repeat the same mistake next time, so it can only get better from here!

Having to make the same difficult decision again.

To make this less vague (and a bit long):

Since late in 2010, I've had serious thoughts about relocating, specifically to the west coast. Since then, I've had phone/Skype interviews with various places in Arizona (Tucson) and California (both northern and southern, though I'd prefer the Bay area), but nothing has come to fruition.

In the interim, it seems that every time I start searching for those jobs, I also end up with local things falling into my lap:

January 2011 - The team I was on in my company was ending, so I started looking. It's the first time I'd really looked elsewhere. One of my coworkers moved to another company, and the same recruiter contacted me out of the blue. He'd been full-time, but he had a contract-to-hire position there, too. I interviewed, and got an offer the same day. I had to push the recruiter to let me think about it while I was out of town, and when I got back they upped the offer providing I'd give them an answer right away. So I said yes. I ended up getting a full-time position with them after a few months.

August 2012 - The aforementioned company was having some issues, and the exodus from our team was noticeable. The same coworker had already left, and I was looking. I was in the process of interviewing with a department at Apple when I interviewed with Best Buy.. and got an offer right away. I wanted to keep looking at Apple, so I pushed off a decision for a week. The Apple situation kept progressing, so I finally turned down the offer... and in the matter of a few days, the Apple opportunity fizzled out. Gah.

Now - I'm contracting at Target and hating it. The position for which I interviewed was for development, and I haven't written any code in the three months I've been here. My contracting house had me interview at Best Buy yesterday; interestingly, the manager I'd interviewed with before was in on it, though he's not the manager for this position. This morning? Yup, got an offer. I also have a phone interview this afternoon for a full-time position in Fremont CA. WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS.

My recruiter wants me to answer right away, of course; I got her to agree to wait until after the holiday weekend. So, my choices:

- Take the Best Buy position, give up on CA.

- Turn down the Best Buy spot, stay at Target for now, keep pursuing CA.

- Take the Best Buy position, keep pursuing CA.

If I did the last one and left after not being at Best Buy long, it'll make BB and the contracting company angry. So, of course, I'm being pushed to quickly decide on the other two. I definitely don't want to keep working here at Target, but I don't want to just quit looking at CA cold turkey either.

Gah.

Well, Kev, you shouldn't hate having to go into work everyday. I was in a situation like that a couple of years ago, but I was lucky to get another opportunity and get out of there after only a couple of months. I would say take the new position, but you can always keep an eye on California. They might be angry if you leave after only a couple of months, but you've got to take advantages of opportunities when they come around.

Two things:

Don't move to Tucson if you wanna keep any semblance of sanity. Stay away from Arizona. I've been here a year now and I'm counting down the days till I can leave.

Get to the Bay Area, no matter what it takes. It's hands down the most awesome place I've ever been. It's home for me so I'm a bit biased, but it's really so freaking great.