• Please log in to reply
20494 replies to this topic

#20481 Jimmy!

Jimmy!
  • Together at last!

• Members
  • 5,803 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 13:59

Add umpires to the list for me.  I'll never really question the HOF roster (although why Lee Smith isn't in is a bit of a head-scratcher).  But umpires?  That's one I have a tough time with.

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14 

#20482 Mockba

Mockba
  • Coming Soon...ish.

• The Man Behind the Curtain
  • 13,010 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 16:09

Much like players, managers, owners, broadcasters, etc, the umpires who have contributed the most to the game deserve recognition.
SupportYourLocalClub.com | 106 years... and counting | KevinJoseph.net | Behance portfolio
POTD 2013-08-22

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

#20483 Kaz

Kaz
  • #TYBG

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

• Favourite Logos:)
      Hartford Whalers
      Oakland Seals
      Boston Bruins

Posted December 19, 2014 - 16:33

I swear every third song or so on all of the Christmas stations is the Grinch theme song, and I really don't see any reason to play it other than in, you know, the Grinch

Sig.png

San Jose Sea Lions (IBL)

#20484 Mockba

Mockba
  • Coming Soon...ish.

• The Man Behind the Curtain
  • 13,010 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 16:42

I really don't see any reason to willfully listen to holiday music, myself.
SupportYourLocalClub.com | 106 years... and counting | KevinJoseph.net | Behance portfolio
POTD 2013-08-22

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

#20485 infrared41

infrared41
  • There's no pleasing people...

• Members
  • 18,573 posts

Posted December 19, 2014 - 22:01

What grinds my gears today is that a ton of baseball players from the early 20th century have been inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame, but many stars of the modern era of baseball have been completely overlooked (Tony Oliva, Lou Whittaker, Jim Kaat, and Tim Raines, to name a few). If people want the younger generations be as interested with baseball as older people, I think more guys from the 70s, 80s, and even the 90s need to be considered. It's appalling how the wonderful careers of Fred McGriff, Dale Murphy, and Dick Allen have largely ignored by the so called “writers” that vote. Heck, I think even the “Hall of Very Good ” crowd (Dennis Martinez, Will Clark, and Willie Randolph, among others) should've been taken more seriously and not dumped off the ballot right away, especially since steroid era players will be crowding the ballot soon.

You make a decent point but there's one slight problem. Not one of the players you listed is a no doubt about it HOFer. Seriously, Lou Whitaker? Sweet Lou was one of my favorite players but he deserves to be in the HOF about as much as I do. Willie Randolph? Will Clark? It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of players you're too young to remember but you read about them in a book.

Well hopefully he would not have any "no doubt HOFers" to list because they are all in.

Two of the first players he mentions are Twins (Oliva and Kaat). And both probably "fringe" guys. I love Tony O...he's one of the greatest athlete meetings I have ever had and he's a pretty good local baseball ambassador and a seemingly great guy.  He also is the only player to win the batting title in his first two seasons.  Had Tony gotten in I'd have been happy for him and for Twins fans...but I cannot really complain that he's not in.  He's not a "no doubter".  Unfortunately a line has to be drawn and equally unfortunate is that the line is not always going to be clear.

To the original point about the deadball era players getting in too easily...yes.  Just about every good defensive player got in.  That said, I don't know that lowering today's standards is the solution.  Tinker, Evers, and Chance are not in the Hall by today's standards and nor should they be...but sticking in Greg Gagne (that guy should have won gold gloves) is probably not the answer.  We're not going back to remove the lower-tier deadballers, so we are kinda stuck.

I'd also add that there is not a name on that list that would attract anyone under 35 to MLB.  

As for the "writers", that's a point worth considering but I am not sure what the alternative is.  

Yeah, I probably could have worded that better but I think everyone knows what I meant.  B)

a0ce4177-b1d3-4cd7-81d7-185a4b19d483.jpg

Founding member of Basically a Podcast Network

#20486 DaRadniz29

DaRadniz29
  • Team Teal

• Members
  • 1,039 posts

• Favourite Logos:Sharks, St. Louis Cardinals, SF 49ers, Seattle Mariners, Florida Marlins.

Posted Yesterday, 05:02

Just spent four-five hours on/off the phone with Comcast trying to get a service and equipment issue resolved for my relative. Instead of correcting the problem I got the run-around.  If she wasn't in the middle of a contract my relative would drop Comcast after the week we've had with them and their inconsistent "promise-customer-this-then-recind-and-tell-the-customer-conflicting-information" ways.

I Just want Comcast to honor their initial deal which seems like they have to move mountains to do so.  Sucks I've had to send a letter to corporate and possibly file a complaint with the FCC. 

GDO5qzn.png

#20487 tp49

tp49
  • Silence Is Golden. Duct Tape Is Silver.

• Members
  • 2,157 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:18

Just spent four-five hours on/off the phone with Comcast trying to get a service and equipment issue resolved for my relative. Instead of correcting the problem I got the run-around.  If she wasn't in the middle of a contract my relative would drop Comcast after the week we've had with them and their inconsistent "promise-customer-this-then-recind-and-tell-the-customer-conflicting-information" ways.

I Just want Comcast to honor their initial deal which seems like they have to move mountains to do so.  Sucks I've had to send a letter to corporate and possibly file a complaint with the FCC. 

I've had way too many issues with Comcrap over the years.  You might do better trying to get in touch with Comcrap's district office who seem to have a bit more power to do things.  Instead of filing a complaint with the FCC, what you can do is file the complaint with your county's cable television commission.  Mine gave me the number to the area's district office.

#20488 McCarthy

McCarthy
  • WOLF GREY

• Members
  • 11,184 posts

• Favourite Logos:Houston Texans
      Hartford Whalers
      Minnesota Wild
      Florida Everblades
      Manitoba Moose

Posted Yesterday, 14:11

What grinds my gears today is that a ton of baseball players from the early 20th century have been inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame, but many stars of the modern era of baseball have been completely overlooked (Tony Oliva, Lou Whittaker, Jim Kaat, and Tim Raines, to name a few). If people want the younger generations be as interested with baseball as older people, I think more guys from the 70s, 80s, and even the 90s need to be considered. It's appalling how the wonderful careers of Fred McGriff, Dale Murphy, and Dick Allen have largely ignored by the so called “writers” that vote. Heck, I think even the “Hall of Very Good ” crowd (Dennis Martinez, Will Clark, and Willie Randolph, among others) should've been taken more seriously and not dumped off the ballot right away, especially since steroid era players will be crowding the ballot soon.

What about electing players who played in the 70's, 80's, and 90's would generate interest for young people? Young fans want to see guys who are playing now. 

If baseball wants younger generations interested in the sport they need to figure out ways to shorten games, and stop putting a lid on the flashier players. 

#20489 infrared41

infrared41
  • There's no pleasing people...

• Members
  • 18,573 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:54

If baseball wants younger generations interested in the sport they need to figure out ways to shorten games, and stop putting a lid on the flashier players.

More like if baseball wants anyone to be interested. It's gotten to the point where a baseball geek like me can barely stand watching a game because it's so damned slow. Something needs to be done.  

a0ce4177-b1d3-4cd7-81d7-185a4b19d483.jpg

Founding member of Basically a Podcast Network

#20490 NJTank

NJTank
  • Being a Mets fan is like being water boarded on a nightly basis

• Members
  • 40,408 posts

• Favourite Logos:New York Mets
      Detroit Red Wings
      Tampa Bay Buccaneers
      Boston Celtics

Posted Yesterday, 16:34

Pitch clocks and limiting batters movement. Ie stay in the box during an AB.

Posted Image
www.sportsecyclopedia.com
For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com
Posted Image

#20491 BigBubba

BigBubba
  • 11/12/31

• Members
  • 4,485 posts

• Favourite Logos:Ball in Glove, Whalers, North Stars, Robo-Pen

Posted Yesterday, 20:45

More like if baseball wants anyone to be interested. It's gotten to the point where a baseball geek like me can barely stand watching a game because it's so damned slow. Something needs to be done.  
I love my Blue Jays, but I just can't sit watch a baseball game from start to finish. I have to be doing something else (phone/computer/reading/schoolwork). I think the most practical solution would be to ban players from leaving the batting box once they enter. There's no need to adjust your gloves, toy with your junk, and take seven practice swings after every God-damned pitch. IIRC, the average time between pitches is 23 seconds. Let's say this shaves off 8s; with ~290 pitches per game, that adds up to over 24 minutes saved per game. While that's not going to single-handedly solve the problem, it's a good place to start.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

PotD: 29/1/12

#20492 crlachepinochet

crlachepinochet
  • Darkness was cheap, and Scrooge liked it

• Members
  • 3,582 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:52

This is super nerdy, but oh well.  I just got a nice, new TV and I was going to buy myself a birthday present: The Muppet Christmas Carol on blu-ray.  It's my favorite Christmas movie.  However, the blu-ray only has the cut version of the film without "Love is Gone".  It's a really important part of the movie, the cut is horrible and they even call back to the song later, but it's missing because it's ONLY the "theatrical" version.  The DVD let you pick between a 16:9 cut version and a 4:3 full version.  Boo to Disney for not taking my money.

#20493 dbadefense1990

dbadefense1990
  • I'm dead, inside and out; I'm still dead

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

• Favourite Logos:All NBA Playoffs and Finals logos, late 1980s-early 2000s.

Posted Yesterday, 23:37

Try dealing with AT&T's customer service reps.

It's pretty frustrating when their only option for you to select their options is through automated voice (my own voice has been proven to be too coarse for an automated computer to comprehend); I'd prefer to use my phone's keypad to input info in.

It's especially frustrating when you finally get to speak with someone and they won't help you, just because of a password you got through a reset (through frustration from the last time you called AT&T) and have forgotten because of your frustration.

#20494 hbgoo1975

hbgoo1975

• Members
  • 655 posts

Posted Today, 15:47

I'll tell you what's getting to me. This forum has it out for me ever since I singed on last year. They have thrown me under the bus lately for my opinions. I can't get any respect around here. I am not trolling anyone! I am autistic tbat is why I am what I am.

#20495 winters in buffalo

winters in buffalo
  • Scorching up the charlatans

• Members
  • 9,268 posts

• Favourite Logos:Burlington Bees, Trenton Thunder

Posted Today, 16:57

Seeing social media activity by people who haven't responded to your texts. Did you not see my message, or is Instagraming your lunch more important?

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image