• Being a Mets fan is like being water boarded on a nightly basis

• Members
  • 40,907 posts

• Favourite Logos:New York Mets
      Detroit Red Wings
      Tampa Bay Buccaneers
      Boston Celtics

Posted April 21, 2015 - 11:11

My step-Grandmother Ethel Marx died Sunday, she was 86.

I am really worried about my Grandfather who has not yet reconsiled that she has died. He nearly set fire to the kitchen already trying to cook eggs and forgetting they were on. He is 80 a tough old trucker and mechanic but he is losing his marbles and I am not sure if he can take care of himself. He has had bouts with throat cancer causing him to lose well over 100 pounds and is now very fraile and rambles. My mother is going to try to convince him to go to a home, but for an old German Cowboy from Idaho that may be a non starter. Fortuntley he is in the hospital for obsevations now. Though he was asking where Ethel is, very sad very sad. They were married nearly 50 years.  

Ethel was a very tough woman like a 80 year old version of Sarah Palin, she was a hunter and she worked in the oil fields. She even talked like Sarah Palin. I am in total shock thought she live to 100.

Posted Image
www.sportsecyclopedia.com
For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com
Posted Image

#21082 sc49erfan15

sc49erfan15
  • Mascot Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 14:00

The power jack on my laptop started malfunctioning earlier this month. I took it in to a repair shop, they say the power jack itself is fine, it's just loose from repeated plugging/unplugging and just needs to basically be anchored down.

They fix it, I picked it up, bring it home, and the computer doesn't turn on at all. It turned on when I brought it to them. Called them back up, said they'd take another look at it, maybe they forgot to connect something. They tried replacing the power button, nothing.

Now they say the motherboard needs to be replaced. The computer worked fine (just wouldn't charge) when I brought it to them - now it doesn't even turn on.

Not sure if there's anything I can do. They're offering to credit the money I already paid ($60) toward the motherboard replacement or toward a new laptop and transfer my files for free. I feel like I'm getting railroaded into spending more money. I brought them a laptop that wouldn't charge, they give me back a laptop with a bad motherboard?

#21083 LMU

LMU
  • Souled Out

• Moderators
  • 16,217 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 14:16

It's usually been my experience that the motherboard gets replaced if it's a warranty repair job but soldering the jack is a cheaper option. If the motherboard went out, that seems like they botched the fix. At that point either go through the Better Business Bureau or weigh the age of your laptop to see if it's worth getting a new motherboard or not.

---- 

My wife and I have appointments tomorrow to get fingerprinted for the TSA Precheck program. Our appointment is with an identity firm in Rancho Palos Verdes. That office though doesn't show up on the corporate page for the identity company even though the TSA let us book appointments and had the address listed in a Los Angeles Times article last month. The company lists another location in Carson that isn't on the TSA list. Googling the address of the RPV location brings up an escrow company that, according to its website, moved down the block which I verified with Street View. So, just going to take a stab in the morning and see if this place even exists. It'd just be nice if the feds and this company would be on the same page.

banners_zpsa371d4a5.png

logolympiad2012_zps5896f289.pnglogolympiad2014_zpsf5f6900e.png

POTD 12/30/11

#21084 sc49erfan15

sc49erfan15
  • Mascot Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 6,144 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 14:20

It's usually been my experience that the motherboard gets replaced if it's a warranty repair job but soldering the jack is a cheaper option. If the motherboard went out, that seems like they botched the fix. At that point either go through the Better Business Bureau or weigh the age of your laptop to see if it's worth getting a new motherboard or not.

The laptop is about 4 years old and was a gift from my aunt. It's not under warranty. I've considered contacting the BBB, but I'm moving out of state in a week.

Everything is pointing to me being SOL.

#21085 LMU

LMU
  • Souled Out

• Moderators
  • 16,217 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 14:23

Yeah, at that age time to upgrade. My old laptop had the exact same thing happen (minus the botched repair) and the minute they told me it was out of warranty I marched straight to the Apple section of Best Buy and switched to a MacBook Pro. The magnetic power cord has saved my ass more times than I can count.

banners_zpsa371d4a5.png

logolympiad2012_zps5896f289.pnglogolympiad2014_zpsf5f6900e.png

POTD 12/30/11

#21086 CS85

CS85
  • icee-bully, checking in

• Members
  • 14,400 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 15:34

At this rate I recommend upgrading your hardware every 2 years.  Laptops are tricky because all you can really do is upgrade the RAM.  This is especially a problem with Apple products, as they have an unspoken policy of forced obsolescence.  If your hardware is 3 years old, you've basically reached the maximum age for their OS versions.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

#21087 Jimmy!

Jimmy!
  • Where are the kittens that I paid for?

• Members
  • 5,905 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 15:45

At this rate I recommend upgrading your hardware every 2 years.  Laptops are tricky because all you can really do is upgrade the RAM.  This is especially a problem with Apple products, as they have an unspoken policy of forced obsolescence.  If your hardware is 3 years old, you've basically reached the maximum age for their OS versions.  

I don't know if this is the exception to that rule, but I have an iMac that's almost 8.5 years old (December '06).  I have had to upgrade the OS once.  It's a cheaper option and worth looking into when you're on a budget.

njGq97Y.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14 

#21088 rams80

rams80
  • The 2013 Rams

• Members
  • 20,585 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 20:12

You're the exception. Apple desktops suck.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.

Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert
POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

#21089 HedleyLamarr

HedleyLamarr
  • Around the world....and up your block.....no more bullsheet.

• Members
  • 10,637 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 20:32

It amazes me how people forget preschool level math and English in stadiums and theaters. Row J is not next to Row S.  Seat 23 is on the other side of the section from Seat 2. These are not hard concepts.

Well, in fairness to them, it's not like all these venues share the exact same seat/section numbering.  Now yes, rows J and S won't be next to each other, nor will seat 2 be next to seat 23.  But section labeling is so different that I can't fault them too much, especially if the signs aren't too helpful.

I'm so programmed to how Philips is setup that visiting other buildings does throw me off.  Our sections rise in number as you walk clock-wise in the building.  Bridgestone Arena in Nashville is counter clockwise, I believe.  I think Gwinnett Arena goes counter, as well.  Philips has their double-lettered rows towards the bottom of the section, some buildings I've been to have the double-lettered rows higher, after Row Y.  Turner Field does odd-numbered sections on one side of the stadium and even on the other side, with home plate being the dividing point where the numbers begin (101, 102, etc.).  The Georgia Dome has a weird numbering system for some of their lower-bowl sections.  Turner Field has an even weirder way of numbering seats (seats go something like 1-10, then 101-110...even though it's the same row of seats in the same section).

mstshadowhw6.gif