Photo

What Grinds Your Gears...

• Please log in to reply
19426 replies to this topic

#19241 dbadefense1990

dbadefense1990
  • I'm dead, inside and out. I'm just dead.

• Members
  • 3,442 posts

• Favourite Logos:All NBA Playoffs and Finals logos, late 1980s-early 2000s.

Posted March 10, 2014 - 21:55

Apparently, Los Angeles is the worst city in all of America to find employment:

http://www.laweekly....section=2124567

dssharks_zps1040f6e9.png

lasj0-3_zpsfc1630d3.png

#19242 rickyISking

rickyISking
  • Bring the WS championship back!

• Members
  • 778 posts

• Favourite Logos:MSU Spartan Head, Kansas Jayhawk's present primary, Toronto Raptors, Charlotte Bobcats present primary, Tampa Bucs present primary.

Posted March 10, 2014 - 21:57

Apparently, Los Angeles is the worst city in all of America to find employment:

http://www.laweekly....section=2124567

Great job New York, 2nd to last!

02Bucs.png

KansasRoyals.gifKansas-City.gif

#19243 Jimmy!

Jimmy!
  • Lord of the idiots.

• Members
  • 5,455 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 11:34

Trying to find a professional photographer for a paying job.  Maybe I'm not trying hard enough or maybe I'm doing it wrong.  But I've contacted several photographers asking if they'd be interested in a one-day paid photo shoot.  The response I've gotten has been tepid at best.

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

#19244 Mockba

Mockba
  • Dark Clouds gather.

• The Man Behind the Curtain
  • 12,412 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 12:53

I got a new task today, and was asking the analyst who submitted it some questions about it. In the middle of me doing that, our project manager interrupts and mentions that it's low priority, and that I should be working on another project... that she's been highly unsuccessful getting me the information for which I've asked in order to move forward.

So:

1. Keep your nose out of my conversation.
2. Let me manage my workload.
3. If you have a problem with me not working on the other project, get me what I need.
SupportYourLocalClub.com | 105 years... and counting | KevinJoseph.net | Behance portfolio
POTD 2013-08-22

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

#19245 crashcarson15

crashcarson15
  • PLAYOFFS.

• Members
  • 9,782 posts

Posted March 11, 2014 - 23:07

Wichita State bandwagoners.

Really? I haven't heard any overhype on the Shockers, not to the obnoxious levels of Duke, Syracuse and the other ex-Big East teams.

Guess you don't live in Kansas.

Bandwagon or standard excitement over a local team (that normally isn't this good) doing well nationally? I don't understand why you can't root for the local team when they are doing well. I'm a huge Illinois fan living in Indianapolis, but didn't stop me from rooting for Butler and getting excited when they were in their Final Fours.

Exactly. Don't be that guy. Unless you have a reason to dislike Wichita State, enjoy it. Go Shockers!

Yeah, as someone who was "that guy" when Butler was good, don't be.  It's not fun.

aflsig_zps1221f6ac.png

16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 0

American Soccer Concepts  | dasschliessfach.tumblr.com | @crashcarson15

#19246 McCarthy

McCarthy
  • PLAYOFFS

• Members
  • 9,950 posts

• Favourite Logos:Houston Texans
      Hartford Whalers
      Minnesota Wild
      Florida Everblades
      Manitoba Moose

Posted March 12, 2014 - 07:34

BieNMUPCUAAspHB_zps57c2164e.jpg

#19247 fnz

fnz

• Members
  • 4,507 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 09:17

This weather is your unofficial welcome to the city.

But I'm glad you're watching Local 12, though.

#19248 jmac11281

jmac11281

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 11:05

This is pretty much summing up most of the weather in the eastern half of the US. Here in NJ we are going from 67 today to 30 tomorrow.

#19249 illwauk

illwauk
  • Dancin' days are here again!

• Members
  • 6,464 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 12:28

I usually go to Milwaukee once a summer for SummerFest and sometimes we'll come up another time for a Brewers game. In my limited experience in the city, it's been pleasant and really don't understand what makes Milwaukee any worse than Chicago. Yes, you see some things that are a little depressing, but I've seen that in any city I've been to.  I might be a little ignorant to what goes on there on a daily basis, but I can understand where you'd be frustrated since you see how good things have gotten.

To be fair, of the Great Lakes cities I've been to, I'd rank Milwaukee over Cleveland and Detroit any day.

I really don't think you're missing anything... a lot of rural Wisconsinites have an idiotic hatred of anywhere with more people than cows, and much of that hatred of cities is because of their ethnic population.  There's a reason why black men are incarcerated at twice the national rate here, and why we have the most segregated metro area even though segregation in Milwaukee County itself has been going down for the last two censuses.  Sad to say, but racial ignorance is as Wisconsin as beer, cheese, and the Packers.

You wouldn't believe the attitude most Madisonians have towards Milwaukee, my wife actually first noticed it when we moved here a couple years ago. Most of the time, I just laugh it off, but as somebody who grew up there, it grinds my gears to have to defend my hometown on a semi-regular basis.

Oh I believe it... I've experienced it a number of times.  What gets me the most is how so many Madisonians self-fellate over what an inclusive and progressive town they have, yet it's 80% white and the way they define "progressive" is lousy with class privilege.  Sorry some of us aren't cool and wealthy enough to be able to shop exclusively at organic grocers and drive hybrids, you dicks.

Madison's a nice place, but culturally, it's Whitefish Bay with a big university; and politically, it's just the flipside of Waukesha's dogmatic, with-us-or-against-us coin.

I've never been to Milwaukee, but I myself often make fun of Detroit often. It really is all slums and ghetto on the east side of the Ambassador and more. It's fairly easy to make fun of Detroit, honestly, with their murder rates and the Kwame Kilpatrick scandal, and how much of the town is run-down, but I have to admit the effort put forth to improve the city is very impressive. As for Milwaukee, I've heard nothing bad about Milwaukee, so I can't say anything. But I guess that's what those guys in Madison are doing, right? :P

A lot of people love to compare Milwaukee to Detroit (I know that's not exactly what you're doing here), but as someone whose actually lived in both, there's no comparison.  I'd take my chances in the roughest hoods of Milwaukee before I tried anywhere besides Downtown or Midtown in Detroit.  On top of that, most crime in Milwaukee is limited to a handful of neighborhoods that are all west of the freeway... contrary to the beliefs of many rural/suburban Wisconsinites, it's an incredibly safe city that only has a "high" crime rate when you make the boondocks the baseline.  A rate of 64 in 1000 means a 99.936 chance you WON'T become a victim here, but white hysteria wouldn't be white hysteria if it were based on any type of logic.

uwm_banners_zpsbf8ee4c3.png

#19250 crlachepinochet

crlachepinochet
  • Expert on the occult, obtainer of rare antiquities

• Members
  • 2,286 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 13:44

I hate when an app you want on your Android device is only available on iOS.  I know Apple is easier to develop for, but I'm not using a frickin' Windows phone here... Android is more than 50% of the market!

#19251 officeglenn

officeglenn
  • You had me at "meat tornado."

• Members
  • 8,151 posts
    • Location:Dept. of Parks and Recreation, City of Pawnee, Ind.

Posted March 12, 2014 - 20:31

We were renting a parking spot in our condo complex from the elderly lady who lived next door. She passed away last year, and the unit was up for sale. We continued to rent the stall from the lady's son, but we asked to be kept in the loop, as parking spots are hard to come by in this complex. But we rarely heard anything — until today, when we informed the unit had sold and we couldn't rent the stall anymore as of April 1. So we have three weeks to find a new stall or work something out for parking our two cars. *sigh* At least it's not winter.

#19252 JRB14

JRB14

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 22:18

Not so fast. Winters not over, the snow is a foot high at my garage door right now, and it's still coming down. :angered:

#19253 DustDevil61

DustDevil61
  • Silence is Golden?

• Members
  • 2,288 posts

• Favourite Logos:Cardinals' StL
      Utah Jazz note
      Hartford Whalers

Posted March 13, 2014 - 08:09

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Speaking of gear grinders...

#19254 JRB14

JRB14

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 09:03

My thoughts exactly.

#19255 Mockba

Mockba
  • Dark Clouds gather.

• The Man Behind the Curtain
  • 12,412 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 10:44

People responding to spam grind my gears; doubly so if they actually quote the spam so it gets extra exposure.
SupportYourLocalClub.com | 105 years... and counting | KevinJoseph.net | Behance portfolio
POTD 2013-08-22

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

#19256 drdougfresh

drdougfresh
  • DTW

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 21:48

Reading comments on news articles about my cousin that passed on Thursday — several articles said alcohol was involved and people ran with it. He was at a bar before he went missing, so of course alcohol was involved.

It just disgusts me that so many people have no problem passing judgment on someone they've never met without the full story.

fantasy-sig_retro_zpsf25f5efc.png

dribbble_zpsbb72b70d.png portfolio_zps1a6c5006.png twitter_zps7d6a4707.png

#19257 JRB14

JRB14

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 21:55

Why would they leave comments open on something like that? I'd imagine you're not the only one whose close to him who read the comments, and far too many ignorant :censored:s are crawling this planet to stop and think.

Sorry for your loss, and sorry for the salt to the wound that comes with it in the ignorant people that comment about this.

#19258 drdougfresh

drdougfresh
  • DTW

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 22:23

Why would they leave comments open on something like that? I'd imagine you're not the only one whose close to him who read the comments, and far too many ignorant :censored:s are crawling this planet to stop and think.

Sorry for your loss, and sorry for the salt to the wound that comes with it in the ignorant people that comment about this.

One guy went as far as finding the memorial group we created on Facebook to troll people's posts there once his name was released. I mean, come on.

fantasy-sig_retro_zpsf25f5efc.png

dribbble_zpsbb72b70d.png portfolio_zps1a6c5006.png twitter_zps7d6a4707.png

#19259 wildwing64

wildwing64
  • Long road ahead

• Members
  • 2,135 posts

• Favourite Logos:Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Posted March 16, 2014 - 08:55

A former friend of mine turned YouTube celebrity now has sexual assault allegations against him spreading like wildfire.

I met him in secondary school and we were practically best buddies. Sure, we had the occasional fight every so often, but a couple of recurring things I noticed in hindsight were that he was very manipulative and disloyal. He was the type of person to go through several girlfriends like toilet paper. During our last two years he was floating between two or three friendship groups, and in the end was hanging out almost exclusively with a group of guys made up of douchebags who had it in for me. It probably didn't help that me and him both happened to have a crush on the same girl, and this was some time after they had already dated very briefly.

I thought that was pretty much the point where we fell apart, but come second year in college we both happened to end up in the same class. No problems, no hard feelings, and we seemingly patched things up. Can't say for sure if we really did, because he was absent from that class a good majority of the time. But then, another friend revealed to me a couple of online diary entries in which he not only referred to me by my full name, but also had some choice words for me. "Spac." "Homophobe". "Not worth mentioning." By now he was already on his way to becoming a YouTube celebrity and I'd lost contact with him anyway, so I cut ties with him.

Now that this news has appeared. Well. Somehow I'm not too surprised. I wondered if there was someone out there who really had it in for him and was spreading crap to get back at him. But having read a lot of Tumblr entries from girls who had been in a relationship in some way or another with this guy - in some cases claiming that he would jump on girls as soon as they turned 16, or that he wouldn't accept "no" for an answer - what I've read sounds very believable.

shoulderpatch_zps3de70137.png

#19260 illwauk

illwauk
  • Dancin' days are here again!

• Members
  • 6,464 posts

Posted March 16, 2014 - 18:16

As an Irish-American, I am sick and damn tired of all the idiotic Irish stereotypes I see on St. Patrick's Day... as soon as I finish this beer, I'm going to the bar and kicking someone's f~~~ing ass.

uwm_banners_zpsbf8ee4c3.png