19958 replies to this topic

#19941 crlachepinochet

crlachepinochet
  • REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT

• Members
  • 2,715 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 04:52

"Hello, Department of Labor?"

You should really nail the woman for getting people to try and work on their breaks.

#19942 Breakwood

Breakwood
  • Allez l'OL!

• Members
  • 3,663 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 10:52

Cancer.

My ex-girlfriend from College was diagnosed with colon cancer about 2 years ago. She battled it for 2 years, but she passed away this past weekend a couple days after her 26th birthday.

...and then my parents had to put down our family cat yesterday.

:censored:ty couple of days.

Posted Image

#19943 HedleyLamarr

HedleyLamarr
  • Around the world....and up your block.....no more bullsheet.

• Members
  • 9,969 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 17:34

I've had another Gear Grinder related to my work, but first a little background story to provide context.

My particular Domino's is owned by a separate corporation that owns 50+ Domino's Pizza stores. In our hierarchy, at the bottom we have Drivers and Insiders. One step above them are the Assistant Managers (AM) and at the top of the store level, we have a General Manager (GM, Manager, Boss or Bossman) who basically runs the store. He/she reports to a District Manager (DM) who oversees several stores (7-8+).

Our DM has randomly demoted one of our AM's, who's a good friend of mine, for no reason. Literally, for no good reason. My boss (GM) is very angry about it. We think our DM just simply doesn't like the demoted AM. And on stop of that another AM has left for greener pastures (I don't blame him one bit). Leaving us with just one AM and GM. One store typically needs at least 3 AM's and a GM to function efficiently. To compensate for the lack of AM's our DM promoted an Insider to an Assistant Manager without telling my boss. (This insider is a good friend of mine too and I think he'll be good at it, he's just not ready. Not even close to being ready.)

Now what really, really pisses me off is that I found out that our newly promoted AM is already making significantly more than I am, on his first f***ing day. I've been an Assistant Manager for over a year. This clearly isn't fair and I know for a fact my boss doesn't know this. The DM is doing this because she's a crazy bitch. The DM is the same person who wants us to work on our breaks. It's only out of respect for my Bossman that I'm not quitting immediately. I will give him my two weeks as soon as I find another job though. I've had enough.

Why are you going around finding out how much money people are making?  It only causes problems.

There are two ways you could get this info: Either you asked someone or you looked it up.  I've never heard any conversation begin with "Hi, I'm Frank, I make $15/hour.  What's your name?".

You might as well quit now if you're that unhappy.  Being an assistant manager at a pizza place only helps you get a managerial role at another pizza place (since many of these companies prefer to hire within so that there's not as much of a learning curve with the company).

mstshadowhw6.gif

#19944 cmm

cmm

• Members
  • 1,373 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 18:03

Cancer.

My ex-girlfriend from College was diagnosed with colon cancer about 2 years ago. She battled it for 2 years, but she passed away this past weekend a couple days after her 26th birthday.

That's horrible, sorry for you losses.

#19945 jmac11281

jmac11281

• Members
  • 1,045 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 20:42

Cancer.

Wow. When it rains, it pours. I am sorry for your losses.

#19946 Rockstar Matt

Rockstar Matt

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

• Favourite Logos:Cowboys primary, Lakers primary, love the us soccer off-white, white jerseys. LA Kings Primary Logo, LA Kings White and Black jerseys

Posted Yesterday, 03:42

I've had another Gear Grinder related to my work, but first a little background story to provide context.

My particular Domino's is owned by a separate corporation that owns 50+ Domino's Pizza stores. In our hierarchy, at the bottom we have Drivers and Insiders. One step above them are the Assistant Managers (AM) and at the top of the store level, we have a General Manager (GM, Manager, Boss or Bossman) who basically runs the store. He/she reports to a District Manager (DM) who oversees several stores (7-8+).

Our DM has randomly demoted one of our AM's, who's a good friend of mine, for no reason. Literally, for no good reason. My boss (GM) is very angry about it. We think our DM just simply doesn't like the demoted AM. And on stop of that another AM has left for greener pastures (I don't blame him one bit). Leaving us with just one AM and GM. One store typically needs at least 3 AM's and a GM to function efficiently. To compensate for the lack of AM's our DM promoted an Insider to an Assistant Manager without telling my boss. (This insider is a good friend of mine too and I think he'll be good at it, he's just not ready. Not even close to being ready.)

Now what really, really pisses me off is that I found out that our newly promoted AM is already making significantly more than I am, on his first f***ing day. I've been an Assistant Manager for over a year. This clearly isn't fair and I know for a fact my boss doesn't know this. The DM is doing this because she's a crazy bitch. The DM is the same person who wants us to work on our breaks. It's only out of respect for my Bossman that I'm not quitting immediately. I will give him my two weeks as soon as I find another job though. I've had enough.

Why are you going around finding out how much money people are making?  It only causes problems.

There are two ways you could get this info: Either you asked someone or you looked it up.  I've never heard any conversation begin with "Hi, I'm Frank, I make $15/hour.  What's your name?".

You might as well quit now if you're that unhappy.  Being an assistant manager at a pizza place only helps you get a managerial role at another pizza place (since many of these companies prefer to hire within so that there's not as much of a learning curve with the company).

Wrong on both accounts. I wasn't trying to find out anyone's pay rate. He told me when we were discussing paychecks. He wanted to know how much the other managers were making. He's been at my store for 6 months too. It's not like he's a new employee, I think I might have made it seem like that.

But you're right though. I just can't bail on my manager without making sure he can replace me quickly. Like I said, I have too much respect for him. Also, I don't think it's a terribly smart idea for me to quit when I don't have a second job yet. I have bills that need paying.
Posted Image

#19947 pcgd

pcgd

• Members
  • 7,235 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:04

Paywise this happens and its not always fair.  But does the other employee have more experience overall than you?  Could they be older or have more education than you?  Sometimes even if you are performing the same job at something like that, the experience can pay better just because they've been getting regular scheduled raises longer.  If you are older or have more education that means you're most likely more reliable and may make more.  In many cases to me that's fair.  Other times they are just better negotiators or perhaps they started at another store for a different salary and were transferred.  If you started at the same time and have the same jobs...that sucks but talking about money with fellow employees can only cause issues.

The quitting without another job thing is fine and probably smart, but don't stay out of loyalty to anyone.  They wouldn't hesitate a second to fire you for any number of reasons. The standard 2 week notice is more than enough time for them to find a replacement or backup plan to replace you. 

Work is business, not personal.

#19948 Moser316

Moser316
  • He's a loathsome, offensive brute, yet I can't look away

• Members
  • 2,704 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:34

The stupid splint on my left pinky finger that keeps getting in the way of seemingly everything I do.  I dislocated it trying to catch the ball during a hurling match, and I can't wait until it's healed and I don't have to wear it anymore.

Posted Image

#19949 waltere

waltere
  • A neutral false god who cannot be seen

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

• Favourite Logos:Hartford Whalers, plus homer picks of the Mets & Carolina Panthers

Posted Yesterday, 10:08

Yeah finger injuries are the worst. I broke my right index finger (I mean if you're gonna break one might as well make it the most important) making a tackle in high school football practice and had to have in a splint for a month

*Insert obligatory bandwagoning/backslapping of favourite teams successes here*

I get it, I step on people's toes when talking about league structure, fairness, balance, and boring things like schedule format. It's like saying that the Middle Ages never happened.

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

#19950 Mockba

Mockba
  • Heed the call.

• The Man Behind the Curtain
  • 12,701 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:46

Just keep your pinky raised. It's classier that way.

SupportYourLocalClub.com | 105 years... and counting | KevinJoseph.net | Behance portfolio
POTD 2013-08-22

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

#19951 crashcarson15

crashcarson15
  • Lindsay Lohan: Where Before > After Happens.

• Moderators
  • 10,118 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:21

Spongebobpatrickpinkyup.jpg

Also, this damn thing.

#19952 Connor Hanley

Connor Hanley
  • Connorreah

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

• Favourite Logos:Vancouver Canucks, Washington Capitals, Hartford Whalers

Posted Yesterday, 15:35

I'm owed $20'000 in back pay from my company. Around this time last year I was told I was in line to become Meat Department Manager at the grocery store I work at. In October last year I was officially promoted but my wage stayed the same. I disputed it to my store manager and he fed me bull :censored: like "we're not promoting any grid b (hired after 2007) into management positions right now" even though he promised me $880/week salary and told me I was going to start managing the department in that month. 10 months went by running the meat department at my usual :censored:ty $12/hr wage and he never gave me the raise after months of promising it would "come soon". I finally disputed this with the union and they're fighting to get me all the back pay I'm owed and it should come "soon". That was 2 months ago. I'm losing my patience because trying to make a living at 12 bucks an hour in Vancouver is nearly impossible and I worked so hard to get what I deserve, I've been :censored:ed over by my company so much and the only thing keeping me there is the back pay, and it's taking forever for it to come. Get your :censored: together guys. Come on
Posted Image

#19953 Alex Houston

Alex Houston

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted Yesterday, 16:43

I can't understand the brazenness of one of my co-workers who blatantly mooches food off of people when she can. She's asked myself and other staff members for spare change to take the bus and such. Now, without getting too much into details, she's a younger 20-something black girl with multiple children to her name, working a part time job with my employer. Normally, I would help out someone in such a situation, because I get they have financial hardship. I did it before, giving her a Hot Pocket I wasn't going to have for lunch or a buck or two for the bus another time, that sort of thing. But when you are rushing to have pieces of pizza that were ordered for a co-worker's birthday and you're having it first and you have nearly half of one and then think you're going to take stuff home, you should feel horrible for being a sack of :censored:. Yes, I get she won't be able to re-pay people as much because of her financial situation, but she didn't pay for any of those pizzas and brazenly wanted more than her fair share. She's mooched food from others numerous times and has even contacted our security guard to help her buy diapers when she wasn't even working. The nerve of some people.

I'm going to sound like an elitist here, but she clearly wasn't raised right and I hate that it's an excuse for inner city people to not have manners and tact when it comes to benefiting from a co-worker's generosity.

"Last night's 'Itchy and Scratchy' was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world."

"So let me explain why I like to pay taxes for schools, even though I don't personally have a kid in school: It's because I don't like living in a country with a bunch of stupid people."

#19954 Mockba

Mockba
  • Heed the call.

• The Man Behind the Curtain
  • 12,701 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:19

Kids, it's story time with Uncle Mockba. Today's story is "Why Being an Adult is Hard, and why Mockba sucks at it".

(Spoilering because this is long.)

Spoiler

SupportYourLocalClub.com | 105 years... and counting | KevinJoseph.net | Behance portfolio
POTD 2013-08-22

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

#19955 HedleyLamarr

HedleyLamarr
  • Around the world....and up your block.....no more bullsheet.

• Members
  • 9,969 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:48

The stupid splint on my left pinky finger that keeps getting in the way of seemingly everything I do.  I dislocated it trying to catch the ball during a hurling match, and I can't wait until it's healed and I don't have to wear it anymore.

Did the ball hit you in the nose?

mstshadowhw6.gif

#19956 Kaz

Kaz
  • #TYBG

• Members
  • 899 posts

• Favourite Logos:)
      Hartford Whalers
      Oakland Seals
      Boston Bruins

Posted Yesterday, 21:36

So the guy had the most kills of any SEAL sniper in history?  Too bad Jesse Ventura wasn't one of them

14261219068_863c81f985_b.jpg

New England Patriots | Boston Bruins | Boston Celtics | Golden State Warriors Seibu Lions

Hartford Hawks | Cincinnati Bearcats | UConn Huskies | Davidson Wildcats

Pensacola Ice Flyers | Pensacola Blue Wahoos

#19957 dbadefense1990

dbadefense1990
  • I'm dead, inside and out. I'm just dead.

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

• Favourite Logos:All NBA Playoffs and Finals logos, late 1980s-early 2000s.

Posted Yesterday, 23:02

Cancer.

It knows no bounds, doesn't discriminate based on sex, age or race, and can come at you suddenly. It's a damn sad feeling when a loved one has some form of this (my uncle for example died of a sudden reappearance of pancreatic cancer a week after his exit diagnosis stated that it was gone).

I'm sorry for your losses.

#19958 Moser316

Moser316
  • He's a loathsome, offensive brute, yet I can't look away

• Members
  • 2,704 posts

Posted Yesterday, 23:58

Believe me, Kev, that's not a problem. I can't move it even when I take my splint off for showering.

No, our helmets have facemasks (mandatory per GAA rules for all sanctioned matches).
Posted Image

#19959 BayouJim

BayouJim

• Members
  • 2,408 posts

Posted Today, 00:44

Believe me, Kev, that's not a problem. I can't move it even when I take my splint off for showering.

No, our helmets have facemasks (mandatory per GAA rules for all sanctioned matches).

Posted Image