New Vikings Unforms *merged*

RickV

I'm glad the jerseys are changing, cause I think they look too cluttered the way they are now, with the viking head, shoulder stripes, and TV numbers all squeezed into ever-shrinking sleeves.

But to mess with the helmet is lunacy. Even this Packers fan can tell you that.

Purple pants are fine (for WHITE jerseys). Simply the current jerseys a little bit, but leave everything else the way it is.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think the Vikings have a good look now. I know some of you have said the Vikings need a change, but I don't see it that way. The Vikings have never had bad uniforms in their history and there's no need to change, especially if there's going to be something like the concept that was posted earlier.

The horn on the helmet must always stay, and the helmet should always be purple. Purple should always be the predominant color, because sports fans associate the Vikings with purple and vice versa. There aren't any stripes on the purple shirts like the whites? That's fine with me. I thought the stripes wouldn't look right on the purple jersey and removing them from the whites would make them look too plain. Purple pants aren't bad, but I think the Vikings look best in white pants whether they wear purple or white shirts.

If the team does change their uniforms, they'd better not mess them up too badly. Unfortunately, I don't see what sort of changes they can make that would make those uniforms better than what they are now.

The horn has to stay on the helmet. Vikings didn't wear horns on their biceps, they wore them on their head. That's whe whole point. I mean, sometimes a logo is just a design. Then sometimes, like the rams, it's representative of a physical object on the head. Both are great logos with an innovative way to represent the teams. Putting a horn on a sleeve is just stupid.

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

This news is very disturbing. I have been a Vikes fan since 1972, and if they go through with as embarrassing a uniform as is described in that story, I will be abandoning them. I refuse to root for a team that dresses like a bunch of clowns.

I know this is a site full of people who obsess over logos and uniforms, but I hope you wouldn't consider dropping your allegiance to the Vikings over a uniform change. It isn't THAT important. I absolutely hate the Orioles "O's" cap, but I'm not going to stop rooting for them over that.

Back on topic -- assuming these are not a hoax (and if I was a betting man, I would say they are), I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the all-purple works together (because I am generally not a monochrome fan), but I would like it better as an occasional option as opposed to the standard home uniform. Otherwise, I think the helmet should be left along and the Viking head returned to the sleeves.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Basically, you're rooting for laundry.

Agreed. However, the truest fans will root for their team's laundry no matter how grotesque and hideous it may be (and even if they are grumbling and complaining about that laundry while rooting for it).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Sorry, but I think the white Vikings uniforms are some of the worst in the league. Those goofy looking shoulder stripes, white pants and white shoes gave this team a really soft look.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion (which I disagree with vehemently, by the way - the Vikes have great uniforms as is), but you're going to need to explain the rest of this first paragraph. The "goofy looking shoulder stripes" happen to be used extensively throughout college, and a few other teams wear them in the NFL (Colts and Panthers; teams like the Patriots and Texans use variations of them). They've been a traditional element on dozens of uniforms (moreso in the past, but still present today), and they scream "football jersey" to a lot of people. As for white pants and white shoes, all but 9 teams wear white pants at some point for games. Other than the Steelers and Packers, all of the teams that don't wear white wear metallic-colored pants. And the Vikings don't have metallic colors, so it's gold like their division rivals in Green Bay, or white's going to be in the mix. And roughly half the teams wear white shoes. So you're basically calling most of the NFL soft if white shoes and pants are your criteria for softness.

Then you advocate that an all-purple monochrome look is somehow better than what they have now. Come again? Again, it's your opinion, but large grown men in all purple outfits look like a team of Grimaces or overripe grapes.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

When was the last time an NFL team completely changed its colors? Has that happened recently? The Packers used to be blue and the Broncos (I think) used to be yellow.

I respect the traditional look, but I've never liked purple and yellow together. I think they should go for it. Choose green and orange, or red and brown (I always make my Madden teams red and brown), or silver and magenta. I don't know. Mix it up.

My point is, if you're going to get rid of tradition, at least go all the way.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The horn has to stay on the helmet. Vikings didn't wear horns on their biceps, they wore them on their head. That's whe whole point. I mean, sometimes a logo is just a design. Then sometimes, like the rams, it's representative of a physical object on the head. Both are great logos with an innovative way to represent the teams. Putting a horn on a sleeve is just stupid.

Horns on sleeves? Imagine that...

gallery_3_namath.jpg

I do agree that horns on sleeves do look stupid in the Vikings case.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Horns on sleeves? Imagine that...

gallery_3_namath.jpg

I do agree that horns on sleeves do look stupid in the Vikings case.

He's absolutely right. Joe Namath does indeed look stupid with horns on his sleeves.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The horn has to stay on the helmet. Vikings didn't wear horns on their biceps, they wore them on their head. That's whe whole point. I mean, sometimes a logo is just a design.

Actually, history has proven that the Vikings never did wear horned helms. The image of a Viking wearing a horned helm was believed to be created in the early 20th century by Viking enthusiasts after seeing an opera based on the Norse Volsung Saga. The chracters in the opera wore winged and horned helms.

If a man wore a horned helm into battle, it'd be 5 minutes before a a smart opponent broke his neck by hitting the horns with a weapon.

http://www.vikingage.com/vac/horns.html

That being said, it's part of the image of the Minnesota Vikings. If the Rams removed the Horns from their helmet, I'd be furious. I'd like to see the Vikes make the purple a little darker, maybe add some metal flake to the helm, and a very subtle yellow highlight to the horn. Modernize, don't ruin a good design.

This helmet was designed by Keith Laubhan. This a great modernization, IMO

vikingshelm.gif

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

I got the pics from a couple of chronic football fans like myself. Who knows, maybe this was released so when the real ones come out we will be excited? Cover your eyes...

purple.jpg

white.jpg

I know these are McFarland concepts but I actually kinda of like them. I think think home uniform could work. Believe me I'm not a huge fan of themono trend but sorta think these could work. I know the helmet probably won't change though.

donm.gif

Gordon-Tech-Rams.png

The horn has to stay on the helmet. Vikings didn't wear horns on their biceps, they wore them on their head. That's whe whole point. I mean, sometimes a logo is just a design.

Actually, history has proven that the Vikings never did wear horned helms. The image of a Viking wearing a horned helm was believed to be created in the early 20th century by Viking enthusiasts after seeing an opera based on the Norse Volsung Saga. The chracters in the opera wore winged and horned helms.

If a man wore a horned helm into battle, it'd be 5 minutes before a a smart opponent broke his neck by hitting the horns with a weapon.

http://www.vikingage.com/vac/horns.html

That being said, it's part of the image of the Minnesota Vikings. If the Rams removed the Horns from their helmet, I'd be furious. I'd like to see the Vikes make the purple a little darker, maybe add some metal flake to the helm, and a very subtle yellow highlight to the horn. Modernize, don't ruin a good design.

This helmet was designed by Keith Laubhan. This a great modernization, IMO

vikingshelm.gif

You don't by chance have the rest of that concept, do you? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

When was the last time an NFL team completely changed its colors? Has that happened recently? The Packers used to be blue and the Broncos (I think) used to be yellow.

I respect the traditional look, but I've never liked purple and yellow together. I think they should go for it. Choose green and orange, or red and brown (I always make my Madden teams red and brown), or silver and magenta. I don't know. Mix it up.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Originally orange with red trim. Now red with black and minimal orange trim, and pewter helmets and pants.

The only other major change I remember before that was the Rams putting yellow/gold back intor their color scheme in the mid-70s. All other changes have been slight color shifts to darker and/or more metallic colors, or the addition of another secondary color (like black for the Lions and 49ers or silver for the Patriots

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I respect the traditional look, but I've never liked purple and yellow together.  I think they should go for it.  Choose green and orange, or red and brown (I always make my Madden teams red and brown), or silver and magenta.  I don't know.  Mix it up.

First off, there's been no indication that the Vikings are doing anything to get rid of tradition. All we know is that they're changing uniforms. And those McFarlane figurines won't be the finished product, I'm sure.

While I'm no fan of purple in general, making the Vikings any color would be eliminating an integral part of the team's history.

I mean, if you ask people what comes to mind when thinking of the Vikings' identity, 9 out or 10 would probably say purple. Not horns. Not a Norseman.

Vikings fans talk of Purple Pride. Daunte Culpepper, in a message to Minnesota media today, thanked fans for showing their "purple passion." Purple People Eaters anyone?

You might as well make Green Bay pink. Or the Cincinnati Reds blue.

The Vikes are infamous for the 1964 game when they showed up in white jerseys/purple pants for a home game against the Lions to show their fans what their usual road uniforms looked like.

Problem is they forgot to tell the Lions, who showed up in their white road jerseys. So the first half of the game had two teams wearing white jerseys.

Then the Vikes put on the purple jerseys at halftime...and their coach said they looked like Easter eggs wearing all-purple.

That was the last time they wore the purple pants! :therock:

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I'm a life long Vikes fan and have been waiting forever for them to return to the purple pants, but only as a road uni with white jerseys with actual sleeve stripes, not the shoulder stripes they have worn on the whites for about 35 yrs. The homes should remain purple jersey with white pants. The helmet horn absolutely needs to stay, but they should make it slightly larger like they used to wear in the 60's. Sometime during the mid 70's it began to shrink and to me, looks hopelessly too small today. They also should return to the striped socks and black shoes. I cant wait to see what they come up with. Hopefully it wont bear any resemblance to those McFarlane figures.

metslogo_215.gif

The Vikes are infamous for the 1964 game when they showed up in white jerseys/purple pants for a home game against the Lions to show their fans what their usual road uniforms looked like.

Problem is they forgot to tell the Lions, who showed up in their white road jerseys. So the first half of the game had two teams wearing white jerseys.

Then the Vikes put on the purple jerseys at halftime...and their coach said they looked like Easter eggs wearing all-purple.

That was the last time they wore the purple pants! :therock:

They actually changed uniforms while on the field during the first half. If I find the picture at home tonight, I'll post it.

It's where I sit.

That was the last time they wore the purple pants!  :therock:

They actually changed uniforms while on the field during the first half. If I find the picture at home tonight, I'll post it.

That game was featured in one of those "Lost Treasures of the NFL" that they sometimes show on ESPN or ESPN Classic. All purple doesnt look very good. But yeah, they showed the Vikes changing jerseys actually on the field on the sidelines. Ahhh, the NFL was different in those days. ^_^

metslogo_215.gif

If those figures do indeed feature the new uniforms, I enthusiasticly approve of the change. The all-purple actually looks awesome, the standardization of the road/home striping is a step in the right direction, the logo switch works because the horns were looking a little stale, and the addition of the helmet striping perfectly ties the helmet into the jersey and pants striping. And besides, to those who hate the logo switch, haven't there been several topics in the past about the Eagles doing the same thing?

(and let's face it, redoing the helmet will certainly help distance the team from the Randy Moss/party boat era)

VmWIn6B.png

Archived